Home network

I have been meaning to do this for a while. Putting in hardwood floors through much of the house kind of started me off on it.

I have told it on a different forum so I will just quote it here.

Since we redid the floors I am running an in wall wired network into key rooms of the house. I put the modem and

wireless-N router in the laundry room. I realize thats probably not the best spot because of moisture in the air and all but it is

the only central location that wont be an eye sore. I had to run cable up through the floor right beside the wall. I then dug a

groove about an inch high into the sheet rock that will be covered by the base board. That lets me split that line one time without

degrading my internet or television signal. I ran the tv one straight back to teh wall and the other about 3/4 the way up the wall

and out the opposite side where are laundry room is. I just drilled the holes up in the attic to run it to our "library" and I havent

decided on where else. I can run two more wired lines before my router is out of ports. I just dont think we need to until the kids

get older. I use my netbook in the bedroom and we dont have a television in there to stream anything to so no point in there.

The guest bedroom maybe.

I had ran a single cable to my old desktops spot but when we had carpet I didnt feel bad drilling a hole into the floor at each end.

With hard wood thats not going to fly. I tried form the ground drilling up but that sucks plus i hate being in crawl spaces. Im not

claustrophobic but I hate spiders and snakes.

img1054g.jpg

img1056gj.jpg

img1059lk.jpg

Those are rubber bands holding my modem to that wood. I was just given a suggestion for velcro which I will be doing.

I had previously ran it under the house but as I have posted here before I hate snakes and spiders. Granted its probably a little to

cool under there for snakes but there where plenty of ****ing spiders. The attic was hot as all get out though. even after dark.

Also, I will have to clean up the wires plus I am going to have some 24 inch ones made to run from router to the wall jacks instead of random length ones. It will look decent at least.

Edited by Daniel
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic