New Bill introduced proposing CCW in establishment serving liquor

Guest vandutton

****.... I ate at that friggin place this week. Now what is it going to take to get this bill passed? If this doesn't help, I don't know what will.

also done.i took jackdog's post and edited it and sent it to naifudgepacker,and my state rep Favors

Dear Representive Favors,

Sunday February 3 2008 a thug robbed an O'Charlies in Nashville. After the assistant Mgr surrendered the money he then shot and killed him. I suppose it is still to dangerous for the legal guys with Hand Gun Carry Permits to carry guns where alcohol is served. Yup Gun free zone and another person dies at the hands of a thug. My heart goes out to his survivors.Quote from http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=7816218 where this story can be found: "He didn't have to kill the man to get the money, and now the lives of the families have been ruined. People will soon be scared to go to the establishment to eat out anymore," said Billy Pearson of Murfreesboro.

I would love to hear comments from the state house that oppose this bill.

Thank You,

whos your daddy

located in

Chattanooga,TN

Edited by strickj

I sent a similar email to all of my area's reps, Mr. Naifeh, and the committee. I don't figure I will get a response from any of them but hey at least they will know my opinion.

Dear Honorable Representatives and Speaker Naifeh,

Sunday February 3 2008 an armed man robbed an O'Charlies in Nashville. After the assistant Mgr surrendered the money he then shot and killed him. The manager complied with the young mans orders and still he was murdered. My thoughts and prayers go out to his survivors.Quote from http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=7816218 where this story can be found: "He didn't have to kill the man to get the money, and now the lives of the families have been ruined. People will soon be scared to go to the establishment to eat out anymore," said Billy Pearson of Murfreesboro.

We are finding this to be the case more and more frequently in our state and our country. Law abiding citizens are being stripped of the basic right to defend themselves yet criminals who already are disobeying the laws are gaining more and more places where they can commit their crimes. By disarming those of us who have taken the time to legally carry a handgun for our own protection you are making the jobs of the police more and more difficult. Statistically police officers are only able to prevent a crime 3 to 5 percent of the time. More often than not their duty is to investigate and report once a crime has been committed.

Currently there is legislation that was sent from the state Senate to the House for vote and passage in to law. This bill would allow law abiding citizens such as myself the right to protect ourselves from predators that prey on the gun free zones by removing the restriction for carrying where alcohol is served for consumption on premises. There are already laws on the books that make it illegal to carry a weapon while consuming alcohol. The only thing the current law does is prevent us from taking a handgun in to a restaurant that serves alcohol whether we intend to drink or not. There are several problems with the current laws. The first thing is that in order to comply with the law we must disarm before entering the establishment. This means that a firearm is in our car where it can easily be stolen or if we dine at an establishment that has Valet parking then the firearm is in possession of some one that we do not know and do not know the criminal background/age etc. The other problem is that many crimes are crimes of opportunity and are committed where there is a high chance that the victim will not fight back. Walking to a dark parking lot after a meal with our families while unarmed is the perfect place for a would be robber to confront a victim. Since we are already complying with the law and do not have the means to protect our family we must comply with the criminal and then hope that the police will be able to catch him in the future mean while our families are traumatized knowing that had this law been repealed we could have defended our selves.

Handgun carry permit holders are not vigilantes. We are not cold blooded killers. We are people that have taken it upon our selves not to be victims of crime and to protect our families, our friends and our neighbors should the need arise by defending our lives. We are some of the most law abiding citizens of the state having taken the time to take formal training and go through criminal background checks.

I also understand that you have proposed legislation that would allow the sergeant at arms to carry a loaded weapon into the house. I am curious as to why your safety in chambers in a secure building is any more important than my safety either at my home or while I am going about my lawful business.

Remember, criminals do not obey laws so why should you continue to pose more restrictions on the rest of us that do?

I would love to hear your comments and also those from the state house that oppose this bill.

Thank you,

I did ask about their wanting an armed Sergeant at Arms in the chambers of a secure building though. Edited by saintsfanbrian
Added the letter I sent to the reps and Naifeh

First Response:

Thank you for your email regarding HB0702/SB0023. I appreciate hearing your views regarding gun rights. Additionally, I to am deeply saddened about the O'Charley's incident. I am glad that you took the time to contact me.

If you would like to follow this bill online: Please visit http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/ , click on "legislation" and enter the bill number. Doing so will allow you to learn where the bill is in committee, and view the full text of the bill, as well as any amendments. Again, I appreciate you sharing your concerns with me about HB0702/SB0023. Please be assured that should this bill come before me for a vote, I will consider your thoughts and concerns in my deliberation.

Sincerely,

Rep. Brian Kelsey

East Memphis & Germantown - 83rd District

Nice Non-Response if you ask me.

Newest response from same rep:

I view the issue of hand-gun carry laws as very important to Tennesseans. Unfortunately, I am not on the Criminal Practice and Procedure Judiciary Subcommittee, so I do not have a vote on this bill at this time. Currently, there is no action that I can take on the bill before it receives a hearing. Should the bill come before me for a vote on the House floor, I assure you I will consider your views in my deliberation. As you know, bills are amended throughout the legislative process, and I have a feeling that this particularly bill will change from its current form before it comes before me; therefore, I hesitate to give you an inaccurate response at this time. As the bill progresses, please keep in touch, and I will be more than happy to clarify my views for you.

First Response:

[/size]

Nice Non-Response if you ask me.

[/size][/left]

Newest response from same rep:

Repost!:) J/K

Look on pages 24 and 26, my responses from young Mr. kelsey.;)

I like the fact he is responsive and welcomes comments.

Well, DB, at least he was consistent.....

Yep. Hopefully he is willing to stand for what he stands for and not let himself be swayed. He is young, hopefully he won't back down from the "lifers" in the house. We will see. I met him when he was running, seemed like a nice enough guy, seemed genuine.

Small, easily concealed handguns are great for locations like O'Charley's where you may 'accidently' forget to leave your handgun in your car. No metal detectors, no problems unless you act like a fool and the police get called on you.

Guest pws_smokeyjones
Small, easily concealed handguns are great for locations like O'Charley's where you may 'accidently' forget to leave your handgun in your car. No metal detectors, no problems unless you act like a fool and the police get called on you.

razorback, I can see your point but the fact is that people such as myself would prefer to NOT have to break the law just to protect our families. Sure, you could carry in a restaurant and not get discovered - until that fateful day that you have to use the firearm to defend yourself. Then your otherwise justified clean shoot becomes tainted with a permit violation and a misdemeanor and you run the risk of, at the very least, a fine and losing your permit.

Sure, you could carry in a restaurant and not get discovered - until that fateful day that you have to use the firearm to defend yourself. Then your otherwise justified clean shoot becomes tainted with a permit violation and a misdemeanor and you run the risk of, at the very least, a fine and losing your permit.

Not to pick a fight but would the other option be a better one?

Personally I just pretty much avoid going to those places.

actually there is a law that says if the shooting is just,then no charges will be brought even if carrying illegal.ill try and copy and post but im not that great at looking these up

True....but there can still be a civil action.

I think the law you are speaking of is...

T.C.A. 39-11-611 Defenses.

A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part if the person possessed, displayed or employed a handgun in justifiable self-defense or in justifiable defense of another during the commission of a crime in which that person or the other person defended was a victim.

When it says "A person shall not be charged with or convicted of a violation under this part..." It is refering to Part 13 of Chapter 17 of Title 39 of the T.C.A. See here. That is the part the deals with weapons and the places and situations it is illegal to posses a firearm. Basically any law that starts 39-17-13xx

Edited by Fallguy