New Bill introduced proposing CCW in establishment serving liquor

There was a petition at the Knoxville gun show OPPOSING the approval of carrying in an establishment serving liquor. It had four or five signatures on it as well.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

the idea of getting together outside the State capital on the day this goes to vote is a good one. I think a better idea is to have TGO members swarm into Tipton county between now and the election in November and do everything we can to educate the people there and get Naifeh voted out of his chair. I can't stand politicians that just stand in the way of what the people want simply because of their own idealogical power trip.

Looks at what is happening.....

The Dems & the Media have framed this as "Guns in Bars" without any comment about the HCP holder not drinking.

Think about this logic - You are safer in a McDonalds than a Ruby Tuesday because HCP holders can carry while eating their Big Mac. :rolleyes:

Boom,

Brooks returned my call, he is very supportive of 2a and this bill. Maybe you ought to call his office in Nashville. He may well not even see his emails. Heck he even invited me to stop by his house on Washington Pike and visit with him.

Boom,

Brooks returned my call, he is very supportive of 2a and this bill. Maybe you ought to call his office in Nashville. He may well not even see his emails. Heck he even invited me to stop by his house on Washington Pike and visit with him.

Mike's post brings up a good point. I have learned that almost all legislature's e-mails are first read by staff, and may be passed on to the elected offical.

e-mails are good, phone calls are better, a visit in person is the best.

Guest Boomhower
Boom,

Mike's post brings up a good point. I have learned that almost all legislature's e-mails are first read by staff, and may be passed on to the elected offical.

e-mails are good, phone calls are better, a visit in person is the best.

Where's he live then? I'll just drop by for supper.

Guest TN.Frank

AZ. already allows people to carry where liquor is being served{Restarunts, not bars) as long as they don't consume and they've had no problems. I think it'd be a good thing, I mean, think about it. A guy gets drunk and gets into a fight with someone, he gets beat so he goes to his car and brings a gun in to "even the odds". If no one else is armed in the bar then he can pretty much have his way but if there are legally armed people with a clear head they'd probably be able to stop him before he killed anyone.

Places where firearms are banned are like magnets for people intent on doing harm with a firearm. Places that allow firearms and better prepared to deal with someone "going nuts" since the odds are more even.

Guest GLOCKGUY

i emailed my senator and here's what he emailed me back

Dear Tony,

Thank you for taking the time to write. Not only did I support Senate

Bill 23, I signed on to co-sponsor the bill.

Please continue to voice your opinions. I can only truly represent the

people of Senate District 12 if I know what is on your minds, and I

always take your correspondence seriously.

Thank you again for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Senator Tommy Kilby

Senate District 12

Chairman, Senate Enviornment Committee

10-A Legislative Plaza

Nashville, TN 37243

615-741-1449 (o)

all anti-gunners are ant-gunners until they are in the need of a pro-gunner...I hope that they will never be a resturaunt that a bg walks into, but if they ever were, you can bet they would want an armed civillian to save their childrens lives...oh, thats right, we cant because they didnt support the bill....

lame...

PERFECT example..http://tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?p=56888

I wonder if Hilary has armed security around her....I dont see why she needs them, i mean, i am sure the places she goes are no-gun zones...

idiots...

/end rant

nay, they'd say "where is a cop when you need one"...even though the supreme court has said that LEO's are not here for our protection...you don't think that ruling applies to THEM do you? oh heck no! they're special!

Guest canynracer
nay, they'd say "where is a cop when you need one"...even though the supreme court has said that LEO's are not here for our protection...you don't think that ruling applies to THEM do you? oh heck no! they're special!

if they said that, the off duty cop would say, "I am sitting right next to you here in the resturaunt......UNARMED...remember?"

when does this come up for voting again?

No date as of yet. Right now it is in the Criminal Practice & Procedure Sub-Committee of the House Judicary committe. I have e-mailed both the sub-committee chairman Rep. Janis Sontany and the sponosor of the bill Rep. Joe McCord asking when they thought it might come up, but no word from either.

The calendar for each committee and sub-committee for the next week is decided on Friday, but usually not publised to the web until Monday. You can check the calendar for the Criminal Practice & Procedure Sub-Committee here

well i finally got a response from my email

nice response from an elected official :D

Good freaking grief.

He should have at least stated his reasons... perhaps the lack thereof means he has none, other than his cronies' agenda.

Who is this suisexual?

nice response from an elected official :D

Good freaking grief.

He should have at least stated his reasons... perhaps the lack thereof means he has none, other than his cronies' agenda.

Who is this suisexual?

I would write back and express my thoughts on the thoroughness of his letter and how his response shows the disconnect that he has from the people who vote and the pure lack of respect that he has for you, toward you, and your thoughts/convictions. It should not matter if he agrees with your stance or not, he should have the decency to respond thoughtfully and respectfully.

Guest canynracer

I agree....that reponse sucked, and I would tell him...just blast him on ediquette and not so much the bill...it is a rude response to a voter in my opinion.

Good morning:

In response to this concern, I cannot support this bill.

nice response from an elected official :P

I think a better response would be:

Could you elaborate on what specifically you oppose of Handgun Carry Permit (HCP) holders from being able to continue to carry their firearms into establishments that serve alcohol?

As you know, there are many qualifications that HCP must meet in order to get a permit.

Three of the many qualifications are that:

• Shall not be an unlawful user of or addicted to alcohol or any controlled substance and the applicant has not been a patient in a rehabilitation program or hospitalized for alcohol or controlled substance abuse or addiction within ten (10) years from the date of application;
  • The applicant has not been convicted of the offense of driving under the influence of an intoxicant in this or any other State two (2) or more times within ten (10) years from the date of application and that none of such convictions has occurred within five (5) years from the date of application or renewal.
  • Shall not have been adjudicated as mental defective; has not been committed to or hospitalized in a mental institution; has not had a court appoint a conservator for the applicant by reason of a mental defect; has not been judicially determined to be disabled by reason of a mental illness, development disability or other mental incapacity; and has not, within seven (7) years from the date of application, been found by a court to pose an immediate substantial likelihood of serious harm, as defined in Title 33, Chapter 6, Part 5, because of mental illness;

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/qualifications.htm

Thank you,

Your Name

that was from my state Representative JoAnne Favors[D].

the email i recievied from my Tennessee State Senator Andy Berke[D] read:

Thank you for your email concerning this matter. Your input is very important to me. You may be pleased to know that Senate Bill 0023 was passed in the Senate on January 16 and has moved over to the House chamber where is awaits passage. You may want to contact your state Representative about this, or you can track this particular bill on the Tennessee Legislature website at www.legislature.state.tn.us.

Sincerely,

Andy Berke

even though Andy Berke returned my email late,and AFTER it passed in the senate atleast it was a professional response

nice response from an elected official :cool:

I think my response would be "good morning, since you can't support the ONE issue that is important to me, then you're useless to me. Since you didn't give me a reason why you can't support this bill, I can only surmise that you do so for personal or apolitical reasons...which means to me that you're not representing the will of your your constituents.

now..having said that, I will finally say that when the next election comes around, I will return your email with my vote..I will find some who better represents my wishes in the Tennessee legislature.

thanks for your time.

voter X

Guest jackdog

Tonight a thug robbed an O'Charlies in Nashville. After the assistant Mgr surrendered the money he or they shot and killed him. I suppose it is still to dangerous for the legal guys to carry guns where booze is served. Yup Gun free zone and another person dies at the hands of a thug. My heart goes out to his survivors. :D I would love to hear comments from the state house that oppose this bill.

Edited by jackdog

Not to thread jack, however I wanted to post the story to clarify.

http://www.newschannel5.com/global/story.asp?s=7816218

Restaurant Manager Shot and Killed

MURFREESBORO, Tenn.- A Murfreesboro man was murdered just minutes before leaving work Saturday night. Investigators are searching for the person who shot and killed a manager at the O'Charley's restaurant in Murfreesboro.

It was a difficult day for the workers Sunday, still dealing with Saturday night's tragedy. The store manager was shot around 12:00 a.m., but the restaurant remained closed Sunday night.

Police said an armed robber wearing a ski mask approached a store employee as he was leaving the O'Charley's around midnight. The robber ordered the employee to let him back into the restaurant where the manager and assistant manager were counting the money. The robber demanded that they hand over the money.

Manager, Nader Bahmanziari, 41 complied with the robber, but was shot anyway. The robber left the scene, and Bahmanziari died shortly afterwards at Vanderbilt Hospital.

Friends and the restaurants regular customers paid tribute to his life on Sunday.

"He didn't have to kill the man to get the money, and now the lives of the families have been ruined. People will soon be scared to go to the establishment to eat out anymore," said Billy Pearson of Murfreesboro.

Friends said Bahmanziari had been working for O'Charley's for about 15 years.

Police were still looking for the person responsible on Sunday evening, but they are optimistic that they will make an arrest soon.

O'Charley's has offered a $10,000 reward for any information about this shooting. You can also call Murfreesboro Crime Stoppers at 893-STOP.