Want to switch. Have a Sig 522 Swat.

I bought a Sig Sauer 522 Swat so I could shoot a tactical rifle at the indoor ranges. I want to get a larger caliber. I know some manufactures produce tactical rifles in pistol ammo configurations that I could still shoot indoors. This Sig was $540 new, and I've put 100Rds. down the pipe, and mounted a Bushnell Banner 4-12 scope on it. I don't want to put much more money with it. Any suggestions on what I should look for? Thanks for your time.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could pick up a Hi-point 9mm and Ruger makes or made a 9mm carbine. Probably looking at your local gun store would be best. If it is just for indoor target shooting you are probably better off with what you have. I have seen other tac 9 conversions and weapons but the price is close to getting a real 556.

I want to use it for target shooting for fun, and a practical home/self defence also. I don't hunt, but I will track down the occasional can to shoot. I sold my AR because of nowhere close to shoot it. If I get a pistol caliber, I can go to the range and still be able to shoot outdoors when the opertunity presents itself to me and not be stuck with a .22.

The Beretta CX series are nice but I thought expensive for a pistol caliber carbine. I found a used British Sterling for 650. It is what they used after the war.

SLG-SSMGweb.jpg

Looks like you can have an FFL order it for you for 500 here:

Sterling SMG 9mm Carbine - Default Store View

It is light weight and has an interesting look. Also the stock folds. I have not yet shot mine but plan to when the weather cools off.

My problem with the Pistol Caliber Carbines is the effective distance here on the farm I need something that will reach out to touch a Yote between 1 and 2 hundred yards.The PCCs came up short. Even my 45LCs come up a bit short.

There is the Sterling, like posted above as well as the Suomi. They are both in 9mm, and you can even get the Sterling in 7.62x25mm.

However, those aren't really pistol caliber tactical rifles.

There aren't really a lot other than 9mm conversion ARs.

However, if you wanted to stay with .22LR the choices are immense.

If you want a pistol caliber rifle, taking the tactical out of the equation, there are lots of choices.

Hipoint carbines, Beretta Carbines, Kel Tec Sub2000, Glock carbine conversions (there are at least two, I think there might be more) as well as your more traditional Marlin Camp 9 or the Ruger 9mm carbine.

CX4 9mm or 45acp are very cool. $800 new, i saw a used one at the Southaven gun show this year for $525.

ruger pc9

marlin camp 9mm or 45acp

hipoint 9mm or 40S&W with ATI stock. The bad thing about hipoint carbines is that there are no hi-cap mags $200-$280

The .22 is used for training without the cost of .223 ammo. The Swat version of the Sig 522 has an Aluminum quad rail instead of the plastic cover. There is also a 556 and 556 Swat.

I think I'll list it for sale this weekend and wait to see if a Beretta comes available. Hopefully soon. It's good I travel a lot, I can meet up more places.

An Uzi carbine is a lot of fun, accurate, and shoots 9mm. IMI's or Vectors's will run around 1k, but you can find Norinco clones for $450-$600. I had one (Norinco) and it was a great carbine that made an excellent HD gun. Plus if you ever get the itch you can get it SBR'd and have a great compact fun/defense weapon. Just a thought.

Edited by Smith