Kel-Tec SU-16C Advice Needed

Rebels010

After doing some internet research I have recently become infatuated with this rifle from Kel-Tec. I currently have an AR in the 6.5 Grendel caliber but was looking to add a .223 to my safe and this one caught my eye. The folding stock along with price point (if you could actually find one) makes this gun appealing to me. I wanted to know if anyone has owned, shot or handled this gun and could offer their opinion. Thanks.

Kel Tec

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got 2, they are killer and the CA version fires with the stock folded, the A version does NOT. That being said, there is a replacement stock that converts the A to the CA. :D

How is the accuracy and range (compared to an AR)? I take you don't have many FTF? Are you looking to sell the A version?:D

How is the accuracy and range (compared to an AR)? I take you don't have many FTF? Are you looking to sell the A version?:D

Accurate as I am. I've never had it fail to fire or fail to feed. As far as selling one. Hadn't thought about it. I guess everything is for sale at the right price.

Edited to add: One of our vendors, Outpost Armory, has one on the shelf, brand new for 580.00 I think. I was there on Monday and they had that and the SU-22.

Edited by dralarms
Additional information

I had a "Charlie" model. I had a few malfunctions but I blame it on the mags I was using. I sold mine to build an AR or 2. It really had more recoil than expected from a 5.56/.223. The C model stock allowed to be fired when folded, but it seemed really flimsy. To me to field strip it was kinda funky when comparing to an AR. If you need an emergency get you home rifle to keep in your trunk it would be fine. That being said if you're going to keep it in your trunk that negates the lightweight advantage especially when you can build a very basic AR for around the same money.

It really had more recoil than expected from a 5.56/.223. The C model stock allowed to be fired when folded, but it seemed really flimsy.

I have read that about the recoil, but on what level? Is it bad enough to make it not enjoyable to shoot, or just more than an AR? Does the gun overall feel flimsy or in the folded position? I haven't had a chance to hold one, but again, its versatility has me at least intrigued. Thanks for everyone's input so far.

I have read that about the recoil, but on what level? Is it bad enough to make it not enjoyable to shoot, or just more than an AR? Does the gun overall feel flimsy or in the folded position? I haven't had a chance to hold one, but again, its versatility has me at least intrigued. Thanks for everyone's input so far.

The recoil wasn't horrible, it was just more substantial compared to an AR. It was actually alot of fun and was easily bump fired. The stock itself just seemed a little flimsy. It would probably take alot of abuse but it seems like it might deform if abused. The weakest part to me was the built in bi pod. I swapped mine out for a compact fore end with a picatinny rail on the bottom, it never exactly fit on there right. The way the end was held on wasn't very sturdy the end pieces had a big C shaped thing that held it on. KT sent me a couple of different hardware kits to swap out but it never fit as tight as i wanted. Eventually I jsut got some black zip ties and strapped it together and that worked pretty well. While using a foregrip the compact foreend wanted to separate under any kind of torque.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's feedback, especially oriental. I decided it was not the gun for me. To many reviews described it as flimsy, and when I pay close to $600 or more, I don't want a flimsy gun. Things that I was looking for in the rifle though, compact, fun to plink, and close range work actually led me to purchase another Kel-tec product. I bought a Sub 2000 in 9mm that accepts my Glock 17 mags as well. Already having an AR in a 6.5, I just thought the sub 2000 filled more of a gap in my collection if you will. I will let you know how it goes after I get it in and able to throw some down range. Thanks again.

The 2000 is fun to shoot and you can fit it into a briefcase or large laptop bag. Buy some 33 round Glock mags for even more fun. ENJOY! Unless you want a very small foregrip keep the standard and I found most of Kel-Tec's aftermarket upgrades to not be worth the hassle other than the stock extension.

I do like the Kel-Tec bag for it and it holds 2 additional mags

I bought the Quad rail but after reading about them at the KT users site decided to use it as part of a trade in with a spare never used Sub 2000 in 40. What I read is they tend to come loose and the fingers get bent easily and it is not meant to be done by the casual user especially when the instructions tell you how many Millimeters to space the support rings. I bought a couple of other items but decided they were not worth the money spent. From personal experience I am not a KT fan but do think the basic Sub 2000 is fun to shoot and a great truck gun. They make nice carbine companions to G17s and G22s.