Lawyer Question

I know a young man. He is mentally challenged. He collects benefits from the government and is incapable of holding a job.

He recently got involved with a girl who thought he would be a good meal ticket. She was at the time pregnant, not by him, and got involved in a relationship with him. The young man left home, ignored all of his friends and family and ran off with the first piece of tail he ever got.

Fast forward a year. The girl has given birth to her child, convinced this young man to put his name on the birth certificate as the father and is now knocked up again. This time odds are fair that it is indeed this young man's child.

She then leaves him, kicks him out of their house, of which his name is on the lease and tells him to stay away.

Now, being concerned about this young man, who is now out of doors you know, and most likely soon to be hit with a double whammy of a child support claim, I am wondering what his options are?

Surely there must be some?

He is on an extremely limited budget, maybe $650 a month and is unable to hold a job. He is mildly mentally retarded, maybe borderline intellectually functional.

Right now I want to get him his possessions back. I believe the safest way would be to involve the police. The young lady's step father is physically abusive to this young man, and he will surely be present. That is not a situation I want to implicate myself in.

Does anyone know what kind of lawyer I would be looking for? If there are any grants or other ways to supplement hiring said lawyer?

I have to pursue this matter. Legally. No backwoods justice. I don't want to be involved in this frankly, but he is my baby brother.

Thanks guys.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a lawyer nor did I stay at a hotel last night, but having his name on the Birth Cert is bad for him.

Judge will prbably rule him as the father. I have read cases in other states where a man proved by DNA he was not a father and still had to pay, I think it was in FL.

I have a few minutes before TV I will try to find it.

EDIT,

Fix it fast..case law ins FL. I don't know about TN.

http://lawvibe.com/dna-proves-not-biological-father-but-forced-to-pay-child-support/

Edited by vontar

What you are looking for is a domestic relations attorney. However, with the potential mental issue, I would suggest contacting Legal Aid of East Tennessee as a first step.

LAET - Legal Aid Of East Tennessee

If they cannot help, they usually will try to find a pro bono attorney if the client meets the pro bono requirements set by Legal Aid. If that doesn't work, you could ask if there are any free legal clinics available in the next few weeks (I think the UT Law School runs one once school starts).

Here is a guy in jail for not paying child support, and the guy has no kids. This is in GA. Proved by DNA.

In short, if you find out years after the fact, the courts are ruling you are too late, you are past the statue of limitations.

See last line in my signature. Edited by vontar
What you are looking for is a domestic relations attorney. However, with the potential mental issue, I would suggest contacting Legal Aid of East Tennessee as a first step.

LAET - Legal Aid Of East Tennessee

If they cannot help, they usually will try to find a pro bono attorney if the client meets the pro bono requirements set by Legal Aid. If that doesn't work, you could ask if there are any free legal clinics available in the next few weeks (I think the UT Law School runs one once school starts).

Yeah, was gonna mention UT Legal Clinic also.

They actually did a pretty good job once for a down on his luck buddy way back when.

- OS

Guest Letereat!

I really hope you can get that horrible female to just move along.

Edited by Letereat!
Easily misinterpreted intent.

Thank you guys for the advice.

I am just trying to make sure that something like this doesn't mess him up for the rest of his life. If he is responsible for one of her children, so be it. But he is not responsible for both of them. He is not her meal ticket for the next 18 years.