Small Game Rifle Choice

Guest mds3d

So I am thinking of taking up Small Game hunting. The problem is that right now I don't necessarily have a rifle that is appropriate.

I am going to start with squirrels, and probably go out for a fox later this year. I understand that my choices boil down to .22LR, .17HMR, and .22WMR. However, what I have been reading is a little confusing. Squirrel hunters seem to mostly say that anything larger than a 22LR is too big unless you make all head shots. Fox hunters seem to be divided on if a 22LR is big enough or if .22WMR is the minimum.

Are these two animals going to require two different rifles, or is there a way to use one rifle for both?

Thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to be mostly going after skwerls, I would definatley go with a .22LR

There are so many makes & models available you can outfit yourself for very little outlay. You don't need fancy (or, indeed, any) optics for squirrels. Most of your shots will be well under 20yds so a scope can be more hinderance than help. Bulk Wally World ammo at around $18 for 550 rounds are more than adequate.

I personally wouldn't use .22LR on a fox. I think it's just waaay to light. A .22WMR is a great fox/coyote round as long as you understand the limitations (100yds is about out as far as I'd want to get) A .22 mag carries roughly the same energy at 100yds as a .22LR does at the muzzle. Put one through the lungs of a fox or 'yote & it won't go far.

I'm not a geat fan of the .17 Many folks see it as the 'magical' do-all small game round, but they're comapratively expensive, are very badly affected by the wind & have a tendency (on occasion) to fragment on impact giving little to no penetration. They're perfect for taking head shots on rabbit sized game & will completely vaporise a squirrel, if body shot so I can't really recommend them for squirrels

If I were you, I'd look into picking up a cheap, used .22LR for the tree-rats & a reasonably cheap WMR for the bigger stuff. My personal armory is a Winchester Wildcat in .22LR (Superbly accurate littl bolt-gun) & a Marlin 882 in .22WMR Both cost under $200 (The Wildcat was brand new, the Marlin used) plus te cost of a half-decent scope for the Marlin.

Obviously, you're milage may vary :P

Robtattoo has given you some very good advice. Advice from a very experienced hunter. I would only like to add, that if you could only one rimfire, I would get the .22 WMR. It comes in a couple different bullet weights and bullet types. Just my opinion is all. Maybe TGO member "whiskey" can chime in on this topic.

robtattoo gave you some good advice. What I would add is that you might want to look at the TC Contender platform. That way you could get a 22lr and a 22wmr barrel. That way you could switch barrels depending on what you were hunting.

I also agree with the two inexpensive option. It seems to me with my experience that small game hunting is hard on rifles as far as carrying them alot and putting scratches in them. You would be well served by buying a used gun that you are not worried about putting some blimishes in it. Hit up the pawnshops or the various local gun sale pages online.

Thanks guys. I actually just talked to my dad, and he said he has a couple of 22LR rifles I can choose from. It still amazes me that my father has guns that I still don't know about.

So, I definately will start with one of those and then start to think about a fox/yote rifle when I get to that point.

Like WD-40, if I were only buying 1 rifle in rimfire, then it would be a .22mag. I have a Savage 93 with a Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28 scope on it. I can shoot little bitty groups out to 100 yards. I squirrel hunt with mine and I only take head shots. That isn't a bad thing to me. I only take head shots when I hunt with an .22LR also. The .22mag is no more destructive than then the .17hmr, maybe less. I have killed several hogs with my .22mag and Winchester SuperX solids. I've killed armadillos and rabbits with it too. Foxes and coyotes fit comfortably into the limits of the .22mag IMHO.

I have witnessed, a now deceased elderly neighbor dispatch many deer from his garden with his trusty .22mag single shot. Head shots ofcourse, and they would often turn a flip. Not that I would recommend this for hogs or deer, but I just like telling the history I have with the round.

A .22LR makes more sense on many levels. First, everyone should own a .22LR. It would be the law if I were in charge. Second, you can practice with it alot for cheap. That is the most compelling reason to me. Also, rifle can be had less than 100.00. About the perfect gun for squirrels too. I have no doubt that it is also plenty for foxes. I have culled feral dogs from my grandparents farm with a .22LR and one was over 40 pounds. I assure you that the .22LR was plenty in all cases.

I tried the .17's and I didn't care for them. They have a good following, I just couldn't see replacing anything with them.

A shotgun will do it all; small game, fowl, and if you decide later you would like to try large game you are set.

I agree a shotgun cannot be beat. Fox are very quick and 95% of the time at least for me they are running in fast and it's hard to stop them. Also I think a 22lr will be plenty to take a fox, average weight on a fox is 7 to 13 pounds. If you are going to spend the money on a rimfire then get you a good 22 magnum it is kinda an all purpose rimfire.

Troll....the O/P wanted to small game hunt with rifle. A shotgun would be a good choice, but limits him greatly. TN law only the use of rimfires for small game and not centerfire. I think he could buy a "combo" for a great price and have all areas covered!

Troll....the O/P wanted to small game hunt with rifle. A shotgun would be a good choice, but limits him greatly. TN law only the use of rimfires for small game and not centerfire. I think he could buy a "combo" for a great price and have all areas covered!

Thats a good idea.

Guest GunTroll

I got you. I personally like a 22 hornet for the reloading aspect. 221 fireball,222,223, even 22-250, etc. is a winner too. I haven't yet even gone onto public land for any hunting. Does the rimfire rule apply to private land too? If so I can't stand over regulation on our rights. Rules , rules, rules. All that does is keep people away from hunting and therefore not getting the chance to profit from people (like me). Also it raises the fees on people who do hunt and don't care for the "over the top Regs/fees" because the states are greedy and will always keep coming up with ways to keep the current profit from fees' levels steady. Someone I met once at a range told me he thinks the "rimfire rule(s)" are because TWRA thinks everyone is a poacher" as if one couldn't poach with a rimfire due to range, energy limitations.

(Rant off)

22WMR would be my pick. Versatile and powerful and LEGAL I guess.

Edited by GunTroll

I agree with Whiskey, It should be law that everyone own a .22lr. It is a great squirrel round and can handle other game with good shot placement, which can be perfected by practicing whenever you want without worrying about breaking the bank. Also in case of a SHTF scenario, .22 ammo is not an exotic round, and shouldn't be hard to come by.

I have squirrel hunted with a .22mag before and it did well, and I would feel comfortable using it on larger game.

I am pretty sure that the "no centerfire" rule apply's to only some public land. However my options are mostly based on the desire to hunt squirrel and be able to have plenty of meat to eat even if a body shot is necessary. Considering that 22WMR seems to be pushing the the ability to shoot a tree rat somewhere else other than the head and have anything left to eat, I was assuming that this also excluded anything centerfire.

I do think my choice in the long run will amount to two different rifles (especially since I may get one as a gift): A 22LR and something on the smaller end of centerfires.

Guest BRad704

If you want to drive from Bartlett to Southaven, check out Dab's Pawn and Gun... There are 3 Marlin Model 60 22lr's on the floor rack to the far right (looking at the floor rack). There are 2 iron sighted for $99 each (one really old, one newer) and one newer one with a camo scope on it for $129... I bet you could get the scoped one for $115 out the door... I know they are there because I held each one of them yesterday...

I do think my choice in the long run will amount to two different rifles (especially since I may get one as a gift): A 22LR and something on the smaller end of centerfires.

Everyone should own a gun chambered for the .22LR. It's perfect for squirrel hunting and great for plinking.

For your centerfire round I would recommend the .243. Can get 70 gr rounds for fox, yotes and so on, but also 100 gr for deer.

Everyone should own a gun chambered for the .22LR. It's perfect for squirrel hunting and great for plinking.

For your centerfire round I would recommend the .243. Can get 70 gr rounds for fox, yotes and so on, but also 100 gr for deer.

I just got me a 243 and Hornady makes a 58 grain V-Max 3750fps. I think a 243 is to big for fox. I shoot fox's with a 223 and it messes them up. I still think a 22lr is plenty, fox are not that big.

Edited by Hunting101
I killed a fox while deer hunting with my .243 with a 100gr round and the exit hole was not that bad at all, though that could have been a fluke. The pelt turned out just find though.

I'm sure it won't happen all the time but I have killed many fox's over the years and more pelts where damaged by the bigger grain bullets such as a 223 or 243. I'm sure it wasn't a fluke you just made a great shot. I shot one this year with my 223 in the neck (the only shot it would give me) and it put a really big hole in it. The taxidermist said he had a lot of fun mounting it ha ha. By the way I need to go pick it up he called me 2 days ago to come get it. He has had it since February. Shot placement is the key but I think shooting one with a smaller grain bullet would do less damage. This is from my experiences.

Edited by Hunting101