Tread life on your tires??Ok

titan14

OK guys...I've gotten some CRAZY numbers in another thread...

How many miles do you get out of your tires?

I have had 8 NEW Nissan vehicles in the last 10 years....the MOST i have gotten out of FACTORY installed tires is about 30,000 miles. Most have been closer to 25,000 miles.

Give me some numbers....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last set on my wife's truck got about 600 miles. Shortly after buying new tires, she decides it's time for a new car. :P
LMAO...i know THAT feeling....we get 25, 000 miles on tires on new vehicles....put new tires on....then trade the cars @ 36,000 miles(warranty runs out).

Put a second set of Michelins (same thing that came on it) on my wife's Odyssey last year @ 72k. They were still safe but were at the end of life.

I can't recall having a set of Michelins last <60k in all the sets I've had over the years regardless of type of vehicle.

The last vehicle I bought my wife (03 Explorer Eddie Bowyer with 17in BFG Rugged Trail TA) got between 65k and 70k. I was so pleased I bought another set just like it and she is still running them. They are quiet too for all terrain. She should be getting close to 140k now but she still likes it so I will probably keep it and buy another set if the rear end does not cost too much to repair. We had rear end rebuilt under warranty but those rears gave trouble the first few years they were built. We will have to do something before winter.

No...they are not cheap tires...they are tires that come n my NEW Nissan vehicles. The tires on my Titan are BF Goodrich AT's and they are worn out @ 24,000 miles. The tires on my wifes old 350Z were worn out @ 24-25,000 miles also.

Sports car tires might not last that long, due to the softness of the rubber compound, but BFG AT's should get 50K plus. I mentioned what I drove because that All time 4wd system can be rough on tires.

My Goodyear SRA's on my new Jeep, I might get 40K, they almost have 20K on them and they still have a half to a third of the tread. They are cheap tires.

My Wife had some Goodyear Integras on her Van, which I think were originial, and we got about 50K on them. We didnt rotate those much.

So your Nissan comes with the actual All terrains. I know they have some Rugged or Long Trail TA's that are not as good of a tire, much cheaper.

This is a BFG All Terrain

all_terrain_large.jpg

This is a Rugged Trail

resize?sq=300&uid=983405698

I've see those on NIssans. Or was it the Long Trails

TR_LongTrail.jpg

Sports car tires might not last that long, due to the softness of the rubber compound, but BFG AT's should get 50K plus. I mentioned what I drove because that All time 4wd system can be rough on tires.

My Goodyear SRA's on my new Jeep, I might get 40K, they almost have 20K on them and they still have a half to a third of the tread. They are cheap tires.

My Wife had some Goodyear Integras on her Van, which I think were originial, and we got about 50K on them. We didnt rotate those much.

So your Nissan comes with the actual All terrains. I know they have some Rugged or Long Trail TA's that are not as good of a tire, much cheaper.

This is a BFG All Terrain

all_terrain_large.jpg

This is a Rugged Trail

resize?sq=300&uid=983405698

I've see those on NIssans. Or was it the Long Trails

TR_LongTrail.jpg

Thanks for bringing this over here db99jw....you read my mind also....i was copying and pasting when you edited your post...

And, I drive an '05 Grand as my work vehicle...it is all-wheel drive also and is on its second set of tires @ 65,000 miles. Yes, the AWD is hard on tires, but, I love it.

And on another note....You are EXACTLY correct....my Titan has Rugged Trails....NOT AT's. It's a PRO4X...why does it not have AT's????? I don't know....lol

So....should I buy AT's?...I need tires NOW.

Edited by titan14

I thought about posting all of this over there, just for Mike's benefit...but decided not too!

The AT above is a heavier, tougher tire than the two below. It is an actual All-terrain tire, rather than a SUV tire, in my opinion. Yes the other two are more aggressive than a car tire, they are heavier, can hold more weight, but they are more or less still a street tire.

The BFG AT's, I have had good experiences with. I've had two sets, the first was on my 89YJ, and I put close to 45-50K on them, that was back in the early 90's. The WJ, I just traded a year and a half ago for my current Jeep, and like I said, I got 65K on them. I went off road, I also went on road, most of it was on the road, here in Memphis. They don't do great in slick mud. Some say they suck in snow/rain, I didn't have ANY problems in rain/snow, although my snow was limited to really one major event (3-5" of sleet here in Memphis, 6-10" of snow up in Lake County TN when I went and picked my mom up and brought her to Memphis for Christmas. I drove all the way up there and back to Memphis, 200 miles in sleet/snow), somebody made a comment on a Jeep forum that they didn't like them, they are a 30 year old design and there are better options. It is an old design, but they have and continue to prove they are a player in their market.

Anyway, when I get new tires, I will either go with them, or a newer tire on the market, the Goodyear Duratrac tire. It is the most aggressive AT tire on the market in my opinion. I'm in the process, on a Jeep site, trying to get an idea of what mileage people are getting on these. Just don't know yet. I'll go over in a minute and see if anyone has answered. The most mileage I have seen is mid 20K range and with no apparent wear issues. This is a pic of these tires.

images%3Fq%3Dgoodyear%2Bduratrac%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1B3MOZA_enUS373US373%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D978%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=360&vpy=359&dur=1021&hovh=200&hovw=200&tx=115&ty=123&oei=nKx9TIODEsb_lgf9xJnsCw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLEoUNzqfartHtKDBHx84mMR6diVYKhRRSGHOWIUTfgml0PCQ&t=1&usg=__d9EQjGwktGJLxPEtsNopgMPAEHk=

These have the snowflake symbol on them, are suppose to be very quiet, are lighter than the BFG AT's and have only heard good things on them as far as road handling, rain, mud, trail, rock. I have hear one story of a person who cut the sidewall on one.

images%3Fq%3Dgoodyear%2Bduratrac%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1B3MOZA_enUS373US373%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D978%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=256&vpy=179&dur=1681&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=87&ty=110&oei=nKx9TIODEsb_lgf9xJnsCw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0images%3Fq%3Dgoodyear%2Bduratrac%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1B3MOZA_enUS373US373%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D978%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=256&vpy=179&dur=1681&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=87&ty=110&oei=nKx9TIODEsb_lgf9xJnsCw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

Edited by db99wj
I thought about posting all of this over there, just for Mike's benefit...but decided not too!

The AT above is a heavier, tougher tire than the two below. It is an actual All-terrain tire, rather than a SUV tire, in my opinion. Yes the other two are more aggressive than a car tire, they are heavier, can hold more weight, but they are more or less still a street tire.

The BFG AT's, I have had good experiences with. I've had two sets, the first was on my 89YJ, and I put close to 45-50K on them, that was back in the early 90's. The WJ, I just traded a year and a half ago for my current Jeep, and like I said, I got 65K on them. I went off road, I also went on road, most of it was on the road, here in Memphis. They don't do great in slick mud. Some say they suck in snow/rain, I didn't have ANY problems in rain/snow, although my snow was limited to really one major event (3-5" of sleet here in Memphis, 6-10" of snow up in Lake County TN when I went and picked my mom up and brought her to Memphis for Christmas. I drove all the way up there and back to Memphis, 200 miles in sleet/snow), somebody made a comment on a Jeep forum that they didn't like them, they are a 30 year old design and there are better options. It is an old design, but they have and continue to prove they are a player in their market.

Anyway, when I get new tires, I will either go with them, or a newer tire on the market, the Goodyear Duratrac tire. It is the most aggressive AT tire on the market in my opinion. I'm in the process, on a Jeep site, trying to get an idea of what mileage people are getting on these. Just don't know yet. I'll go over in a minute and see if anyone has answered. The most mileage I have seen is mid 20K range and with no apparent wear issues. This is a pic of these tires.

images%3Fq%3Dgoodyear%2Bduratrac%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1B3MOZA_enUS373US373%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D978%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=360&vpy=359&dur=1021&hovh=200&hovw=200&tx=115&ty=123&oei=nKx9TIODEsb_lgf9xJnsCw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLEoUNzqfartHtKDBHx84mMR6diVYKhRRSGHOWIUTfgml0PCQ&t=1&usg=__d9EQjGwktGJLxPEtsNopgMPAEHk=

images%3Fq%3Dgoodyear%2Bduratrac%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1B3MOZA_enUS373US373%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D978%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=256&vpy=179&dur=1681&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=87&ty=110&oei=nKx9TIODEsb_lgf9xJnsCw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0images%3Fq%3Dgoodyear%2Bduratrac%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1B3MOZA_enUS373US373%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D978%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=256&vpy=179&dur=1681&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=87&ty=110&oei=nKx9TIODEsb_lgf9xJnsCw&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=17&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

db...i dont see that BFG makes an AT in the same size as mine...what size could i change to and not "rub"?....the tires that are on it are 275/70/18.

Bill, no worries about thread jacking on the other one!

I have had top shelf factory tires when I have bought new trucks. A ford Ranger in 95, barely got 20,000 out of them, Again Firstone on my 99 F 150 barely got 25,000.

I never buy high dollar tires. I am on my my fourth set of skins on this truck, ( 180,000 miles). So subtract the original Firestones and that leaves 155, 000 on three sets of off brand tires.( this set has a lot of life still) And I have always had one tire be the cause of needing new ones. Three are still usable for another 20,000 miles and one is flat out shot. Dunno why this happens.

So from that I say you are not doing well with what you have on them rice burners.

I have had Michelins on the Minister of War's cars several times, they do good but not what I get on my truck.

I do check tire pressure and inflate as needed every month.

FWIW I have paid in the ballpark of 500 bucks for four tires every time.

these look very similar to mine

all_terrain_large.jpg

Edited by Mike.357
db...i dont see that BFG makes an AT in the same size as mine...what size could i change to and not "rub"?....the tires that are on it are 275/70/18.

Not sure on the Nissans, with the IFS and all that, not sure what would fit. There is got to be some internet forums for Nissan trucks that should be able to guide you on rubbing issues. You could also give a place like 4wheel parts a call and get some advice.

Regarding the BFG AT's, I did have one problem with one tire, it would not balance, figured it was a defect in the tire. Sam's replaced it under warranty.

I got over 70K on the Firestone radials (yes, the ones that were recalled) on my old Explorer. Best wearing tires I've ever owned.

The E load range Generals on the front of my F350 wore out at about 45K. The rears are doing better, but don't look like they'll make it to 60K.

Edited by enfield
I got over 70K on the Firestone radials (yes, the ones that were recalled) on my old Explorer. Best wearing tires I've ever owned.

that is amazing, I do not doubt you and all. but those are the tires I had on my Ranger and the original on my current truck. Worst tires I ever had. I will never buy Firestone again by choice.

I wonder if they all came from the same plant?

Guest Jcochran88

My ranger came with firestones got about 20k with them, switched to michellan got about 80k out of them. I have always used michellans and have never gotten less than 75k out of them.

As stated on the other thread, name brand or price don't have much to do with tread life. A cheaper off-brand tire can last longer than an expensive premium brand. But tread life is only a part of a tire's performance. There's also speed rating, wet traction, dry traction, noise, ride comfort, and ice/snow/mud/offroad traction. Check the UTQG code on tires you're looking at. It will show you a number for the tread life, then two leters for speed and temperature ratings. The tread life doesn't mean how many miles you'll get, but it's more of a relative number. A 200 tire will get half the miles of a 400 tire. On one car, that could be 20K and 40K. On another car that could be 35K and 70K.

As for the factory tires not holding up, it's because most car manufacturers now use tires with a low tread life number to cut costs. My Mazda 3 came with some Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires that were banana peels by 18K. Not a cheap tire at about $150 ea, just a low tread life.

I've always liked www.tirerack.com. They have a good selector tool for your vehicle's year/make/model and then you can sort by what properties are important to you.

+1 on Michelins. You'll usually pay more for them, but they're great tires all around. Performance and tread life is usually excellent.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I believe what I have is a set of Kelly Explorers on my (undercover;)) soccer moms van. IIRC they were sold as 60K mile tires. I have right at 40K on them and they still look new.

I do have them rotated and balanced with every oil change which I will only stretch out to 5-6K miles, recommended change is 3K and I do it around 4K for the most part. The miles are also mainly on the road rather than in town and the van is very rarely full of anything except me and maybe one other person.

Also IIRC the Kelly's were a bit over $400.00 OTD. So far I am very happy with them. I wanted white letter tires for it but without going to a truck tire they could not be had for a mini-van.

The wifes car is a whole different story, she carries all the kids and weight most of the time and her miles are in town, but even with the same schedule of rotating and balancing the best we can do with hers are 20-25K miles.

Her last set a few months ago were Good Year Eagles at about $600+ OTD. (Ouch) I did not know or realize it when I bought it but those PT's all run 50 wide sport tires? None of them are cheap and the Eagles were the cheapest other than some real garbage ones.

I actually bought the van for her to haul the kids with but she fell in love with a white Woodie PT cruiser and I was able to get it for her well under "book" so I did. I have seen one like it in Memphis but no others here in Jackson.

Now she refuses to drive the van unless she has to, so I kinda got stuck with it, but I like it just fine. It does have that "undercover" thing going for it when a grumpy Ole Man is behind the wheel and it rides like a dream. The best thing I can say about her PT is that it is "cute looking and unique".

But as we know whatever makes them happy makes our lives easier in the long run. And she loves that little car while it nearly kills me just to get in and out of and beats me to death when I drive it. Although it is fun to drive from time to time when the weather is right for windows down and top opened.

I am in the initial stages of looking for a late model Jeep or a small 4WD truck. Preferably a Jeep that all 5 of us could get into. The recent floods left me high and dry but I could not go anywhere for several days, it was like I was on an island, but not by much. Those thoughts have stuck with me.

275/70-18 285/65-18 305/65-18

titan, you may well know how to read tire sizes but sometimes it still helps to convert the sizes into something a little more familiar, such as inches. I looked up the BFG AT's and looks like they are offered in the above sizes.

You can take the first number, the width, and divide it by 25.4 to get it in inches, then the 2nd number is the height of the tire as a percentage of the width.

275 divided by 25.4 = 10.83" wide

10.83*0.70 = 7.58" tall

So, with you are currently running almost an 11" wide tire with a diameter of 18+7.58+7.58 = 33.16"

285/65-18 would be 11.22" wide and 32.58" diameter. So it would actually not be as tall as what you are running just because the sidewall ratio isn't as large.

305/65-18 would be 12.0" wide and 33.62" diameter. That size wouldn't be much taller than what you already have, and to see if it would rub turn your wheels all the way in both directions and measure to your inner fenders to see how much room you have left now.

My opinion, I wouldn't just add width without adding height because that will just hurt your fuel mileage anyways.