• No
    • Not always but frequently
    • Yes but not often

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Halfpint

Unequivocally YES. The world doesn't become all sweetness and light just because I've gotten home from work without being cussed by (or cussing at) the boss, had a nice meal, and decided to curl up with a book and my girl. My gun goes with me to the dinner table, and it routinely sits next to my sweet tea. It also joins me in the bathroom for my morning shower, though it sits on the counter and the bathroom door is securely locked -- blame boot camp for instilling within me the absolute necessity always to be in complete control of my weapon.

It has actually happened to me while I was at a relatives house in Nashville. I wasn't packing at the time, but I had enough adrenaline that I almost beat them to death with a hockey stick. In hindsight it was almost a blessing because if I where packing there would be 4 dead teenagers who where simply being stupid.

If you were out in the street and you left the hockey stick at home but you had a"goalie cup" with you, would it have been different?

I feel that showing the kids a firearm while they were in the house and maybe even sinking a shot into the floor to make sure they were wide awake (IF YOU HAD TO), would probably have changed their mind real quick. Remember, in many states, mine included, the castle doctrine would have avoided a brandishing or discharge problem. They are in your house or in this case a relative that you have the right to defend.

I too, would not like to shoot a bunch of stupid kids for doing something even more stupid but I may have second thoughts about confronting 4 of them with a hockey stick as my only source of protection. I am well past the stage of hand to hand stuff with teenage kids.

Packing at home +1

Guest FiddleDog

If it ain't on me, it's near me. Used to live in east nashville, when I was convinced that an up and coming neighborhood was the best way to grown a home as an investment. I'm glad I rented before actually buying out there. I now realize the "up and coming" is nice speak for "not quite there yet." Police choppers overhead every night, 2 gang initiations in my front yard. Daily reports of break-ins, home invasions, and hostage situations...and the poor PD in the area was super slammed, what with the arena there, too.

I packed up the missus and moved out to quieter resides...the habits cultivated during that time period still stuck, though. At least I don't have a shotgun in my coffee table anymore...It is a different world out there. Or maybe I'm just paying more attention.

I can't carry at work because I work at a college. Even so, when I get home and change clothes, even if we aren't going back out, I will have a firearm of some type on my person. I don't live in a bad area but I also don't have unicorns and fairies keeping my home under a magical rainbow shield so as not to let any of the bad people in. Everyone must make their own decisions but, to me, "close enough that I can get to it," means, "far enough away that I might not." My wife asked me why I was carrying at home, once - not as an objection, just more out of curiosity, I think. My reply to her was the honest truth. I said, "Things can happen at home, too. Imagine having gotten a permit to carry everywhere else then getting murdered in the living room because someone kicks in the door and I am not armed. In addition to getting killed and maybe seeing you killed, I'd feel pretty damned stupid while I was in the process of dying knowing how easily I could have been carrying a gun and maybe prevented it." My wife's reply was, "I hadn't thought of that. Makes sense."

Now, I don't usually carry anything larger than my P3AT while in the house. In fact, I like to wear loose-fitting, workout type shorts around the house so I will often just have my NAA WMR mini in my pocket. Not what I'd want to carry as primary in public but I figure it would give me something with which to fight my way to a bigger gun.

Warning shots are a myth. A determined attacker is not afraid of your gun. They are, however afraid of someone who they believe will kill them. The seasoned criminals can tell the difference.
Well, I'm nor sure I'd call it a myth, but it sure is a waste of good ammo! ;)

Gotta say I agree with both lol

Why I was never a fan of the "shotgun racking will scare them away". Yea it's a cool sound and we all love it, but I'm not about giving my position or intent away. If I have to shoot the last thing someone in my home illegally is going to hear is a firing pin hitting a primer.

Guest FiddleDog

This is true...but very few things say "wrong house" like the sound of an 870...

Gotta say I agree with both lol

Why I was never a fan of the "shotgun racking will scare them away". Yea it's a cool sound and we all love it, but I'm not about giving my position or intent away. If I have to shoot the last thing someone in my home illegally is going to hear is a firing pin hitting a primer.

Edited by FiddleDog
Guest Drewsett
This is true...but very few things say "wrong house" like the sound of an 870...

Which is why my shotgun is in "cruiser mode" next to my bed. My handgun is there cocked and locked as well. My bedroom is upstairs, so if someone breaks in I figure I have the time to rack a shotgun round before they make it up the stairs and to my bedroom. Hopefully the myth will work, because I have no desire to kill someone.

Just an Opinion of an old combat Marine , "Warning Shots Will Get You Killed" ....If a perp is armed under a shirt , coat or Hoodie , they are coming out shooting to kill because you have already shown you intend to shoot them . If you are going to pull your weapon make the first shot count . and remember what an instructor ( USC) police academytold me, " A dead man can not testify against you in court, and it is best to be judged by 12 then carried by 6".

Guest Broomhead

If I am awake and somewhere that I can legally carry, then I have my gun on me. If I'm in the shower, then it is sitting on the towel rack right outside the curtain. If I'm asleep, then it is sitting right beside me on the side table. Otherwise, what good is a gun for self defense if I don't have it on/near me?