My new piece of Russian goodness.

Guest bkelm18

i do have issues with its reliabilty. we shot several of different makes and types we had confiscated while in fallujah one day at a range we set up and probably 1/4 of the time you had jams of all types. alot of this was probably the ammo as we had large rice/flour bags just full of rounds and people im sure picked up the wrong type occasionaly but i just wasnt very impressed. you could be 10m from a target and after 3 or 4 rounds you arent even hitting plywood anymore let alone the target. not that i expect everyone to be able to control it on full auto but from that distance you would think you could still come near them. oh and btw they do get hot. that wood i would swear was about to light on fire they were so hot after awhile but i have no idea if we would have had a catastrophic gun failure/cooked round or just burned hand guards.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
Wow, that might be a future project. I see you can get them in .223, good option to have.

Yeah, if I do another one, which I probably will, I think I'm going to convert one of their shotguns. I'd do the .223, but I already have an AR15 and I'm just not a big fan of having more than one gun in the same caliber.

Guest bkelm18

I can't speak for the STG, but I know a lot of people are happy with their WASRs. My main reason for not liking them is that they are made single stack, then when they are imported, they are machined out into a double stack, which can lead to some magazine fitting issues. But those problems are few and far between from what I've seen. I say go for it. The STG was something that was recommended to me a few times on various boards in my search for an AK.

Guest bkelm18
I appreciate the info, I dont know anything about Ak's I love my AR-15 and will buy one of these before they are ban forever!!!

I'm new to AKs too. I just do tons of research before I buy something.

I wouldn't expect top quality in a rifle for under $400.00, but are they decent for the money?

WASR's are a crap shot on quality. A lot of canted sight issues, soft recievers, ect. Most quality issues have to do with who built them. Other than that, the Saiga is top of the line in quality. It is a true Russian AK, by far the best of the breed.

Guest bkelm18
WASR's are a crap shot on quality. A lot of canted sight issues, soft recievers, ect. Most quality issues have to do with who built them. Other than that, the Saiga is top of the line in quality. It is a true Russian AK, by far the best of the breed.

What exactly is a canted sight? Just like a sight thats tilted off center?

What exactly is a canted sight? Just like a sight thats tilted off center?

On some of the cheaper builds, they don't take time to make the front sight pin grooves exactly level. When you a look down the barrel the front sight post will look like it's leaning, usually to the left (from the reciever end).

Guest bkelm18
On some of the cheaper builds, they don't take time to make the front sight pin grooves exactly level. When you a look down the barrel the front sight post will look like it's leaning, usually to the left (from the reciever end).

Ah, sheisty.

Actually I just sent an Arsenal back to the factory to have that same problem fixed. Arsenals are supposed to be the best factory AK variant available in the US. It can happen with any AK. That said I do plan on buying a couple Saigas this year to go along with my VEPRs.

Is this a good rifle for me to buy?

http://dpharms.com/russian-american-armory-saiga-rifle-762x39-p-342.html

Yeah, that's the same one I converted. That's a good price too. I really like mine. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but the quality is pretty top notch.

Yours looks really nice, im thinking of doing the same with dark earth furniture ordered from that same site,

Guest bkelm18

The pistol grip and buttstock should work, however, to use a standard AK forend you have to do a couple small modifications. You have to swap out the Saiga gas tube with a standard AK gas tube: http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/akgt1.html, and you have to add on a lower handguard retainer: http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/akbor1.html. http://www.dinzagarms.com/ is a great place to find things custom made for the Saiga rifles. He's a good guy to deal with too.

Guest bkelm18
i think id rather just buy one outright. whats the reason to convert if you can just get one otherwise?

Better quality for a better price. You can make the gun to your liking. What's the reason to customize anything yourself if you can just buy one outright? Some people enjoy it, like me.

maybe i see a difference. i think buying like an ar or something with multiple manufacturers that use the same spec as something to work on and customize. these different country manu. seem to change things more than i would think is allowable to use w/e parts you wanted. hell i could be wrong. im also not experienced in the type of work it would require to do that saiga so i wouldnt feel comfortable doing it where as an ar i have no issue with it.

Guest bkelm18
maybe i see a difference. i think buying like an ar or something with multiple manufacturers that use the same spec as something to work on and customize. these different country manu. seem to change things more than i would think is allowable to use w/e parts you wanted. hell i could be wrong. im also not experienced in the type of work it would require to do that saiga so i wouldnt feel comfortable doing it where as an ar i have no issue with it.

That's why I did the Saiga, it takes really no knowledge or experience. If you know how to work a drill and a dremel, then that's most of the conversion right there. The rest is just swapping parts. The Saiga was designed to be a hunting rifle, so naturally it's going to have some parts that aren't on a standard AK, but they can all be swapped out for standard AK parts. A child can work on an AK, whereas I don't feel comfortable at all working on my AR. That's why its still pretty much stock. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. :P