New guy possibly coming to Nashville

Guest gsbell

Hello everyone!

My name is Greg and I've been involved in firearms advocacy groups in Michigan for a few years now. There is a pretty good possibility that I could be moving to Nashville for a job opportunity, I've had three interviews for the job so far. My wife and I would be looking for a place to rent when we get down there. What areas of town are recommended and any other tips for someone just coming in to Nashville.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MidTNShooter
Hello everyone!

My name is Greg and I've been involved in firearms advocacy groups in Michigan for a few years now. There is a pretty good possibility that I could be moving to Nashville for a job opportunity, I've had three interviews for the job so far. My wife and I would be looking for a place to rent when we get down there. What areas of town are recommended and any other tips for someone just coming in to Nashville.

Hey Greg,

PM me and I will give you some information. I was in the same boat about 9-10 years ago. As for work, might be able to help ya'll out also.

Take Care,

MidTNShooter

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Schools are not a concern, no kids. So we will be looking for a quiet, safe, reasonably affordable area to rent for a while.

Guest canynracer
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Schools are not a concern, no kids. So we will be looking for a quiet, safe, reasonably affordable area to rent for a while.

well, even with no kids, school system is a concern, crappy schools sometimes have crappy kids going to them...note SOMETIMES have crappy kids...

Guest ETS_Inc

Come on down from the frozen north and join us in the South. What part of MI? I spent a year in Oscoda.

If you're looking for affordable rent, within a short drive of Nashville, there are a number of areas you should check into. I would recommend Franklin or Brentwood to the south, Murfreesboro to the southeast, Lebanon and Hermitage to the east, Hendersonville to the northeast, and Clarksville and Springfield to the northwest.

Not to beat the schools point into the ground, but school systems are very indicative of the quality of the neighborhood. Consider these points:

1) People with kids and good jobs want their kids in good schools. This generally indicates a healthy income level, which is often spent on the home. This means higher property taxes, which translates into better municipal services in general.

2) People with kids and good jobs generally are more likely to push their kids to go to college. This usually means the kids are more prone to stay out of more serious trouble (save for the usual childish bs such as partying). This means less likelihood for gang activity. Parents who want their kids to go to college want them in the best school system the can find.

It's a bit of a circle, really. Better schools cost more money to fund, so the property values rise. Better schools and higher property values attract more financially stable residents. As these residents move into neighborhoods, and property values rise, property tax revenues increase, meaning schools have more funding available, making them even better, and the cycle continues.

Also, if you decide to buy a home with the plan of selling it later, future prospective buyers might be highly interested in the quality of the school district, making your home more attractive and easier to sell for a higher price.

Edit to add one more point:

If you and your wife are thinking of having kids in the future, consider this:

It is illegal for a sex-offender to live within a certain distance of a school. Living within that distance is a good way to mitigate the risks to your kids associated with sexual predators.

I moved here a few years ago. I live in Wilson county just east of Nashville. The towns of Lebanon and Mount Juliet are about 15 to 20 minutes from Nashville. The schools are

great. Homes and rent are reasonable. It is a fast growing county.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MidTNShooter
Well it's official I've accepted a job and I'll soon be in Nashville.

Holler at me and I will send you some info your way. This way you won't have to waste too much time.

MTS