Opening day success!

Nice to be able to hunt again!

I missed out on the morning hunt, because I was busy packing for the afternoon!

The hunt club I'm a member of, has our land about 2¾ hours drive from my house. So, I packed for an overnighter.

I arrived at the site at 2pm, set up my campsite & got into my hunting gear. I threw my stand on my back, a book & a few bottles of water in my pocket, grabbed my beautiful Morrison Cheyenne & headed out for the trees.

I had a pretty good idea of where I needed to be after having an afternoon in a nearby tree last year & seeing good sign. I had a small hill to my right, a gravel road 20 yards to my left & beyond that a small backwater. The wind was coming nicely down the hill & hooking around to blow in my face (according to the Thermacell smoke)

After an hour or so, I began to figure out that I was probably in the stand a bit early (I live in the Central timezone, the club is Eastern :D ) so I dug into the Den of the Old Bowhunter for some inspiration from Chester Stevenson.

Time passes.

More time passes.

Sitting there in a slight downpour I started to hear movement up the hill. Sqirrels.

Finally the rain gave it up & the woods began to spring to life. I catch sight of movement. A flash, nothing more. I started to twist & gyrate, trying to see through the trees in the failing light. I catch a glimpse of a leg & my attention focuses instantly on that spot. I'm so intent on seeing the rest of the deer in that tiny gap, 40 yards away, that I completely fail to see the doe walking calmly towards me. Finally my brain kicks in & I see the deer. I'm already on full alert now, bow in hand, vibrating like I'm on a caffeine high. Ever so slowly I bring my right hand to the string & locate the nock & begin to rotate towards my quarry. She stops. Facing me. Drops her head & starts to pick up the few White Oak acorns she can find. She turns away & I put tension to the 63# carbon & foam, diamond back-backed limbs. A step to her left. Feeding. Another step left & she's quartering away by a couple of degrees, my bow is up, heavily canted to avoid the bar around my climber, the arrow is suddenly not there & the deer is running away. Did I miss? I know I bent at the waist. I think I hit my anchor. I don't think I 'peeked' Can I see my arrow in the dirt? No. Hmm. Where'd it go then? I must've hit it. I hit it.

I.

Hit.

That.

Deer.

I HIT THE DEER!! IHITTHEDEERIHITTHEDEERIHITTHEDEEEEER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, now the shakes kick in, big time. I struggle to remember how to sit down & try & compose myself. I try & remember where she was when I shot & where she ran to. OK, think I've got it now. Slowly, slowly down the tree I go (Terrified & shaking ever step of the way) to take up the trail. I can't see any blood in this light & my headlight is in the truck, dammit. No problem, I'll go to the last place I saw her & flag the spot before I go get it. I pace off 12 yards from my tree to where she stood. 12 yards, cool! 22 more yards to where I remember seeing her run. Oooh, there's my arrow. It's got all red on the end & the bleeder's missing from the big Magnus four blade head. Cool!

Ok, she went thattaway, over a small rise. Go on Rob, take a peek. There she lay. At rest, at the base of a small tree & very, very dead.

A quick peek at the wound tells me that I passed high through her right lung, through the middle of her left & smashed holy hell out of her left shoulder, leaving a small exit wound & lots of splintered bone.

Now the frantic texting & phone calls to everyone I've ever met or heard of to let 'em all know that I've just got my first deer with a bow!

Quick Robbie, grab the camera......****, ****, ****ing ****, it's at home, 2¾ hours away.

So, I don't have any 'Before' photos & no 'hero' shots. But I do have these.......

venison001.jpg

venison002.jpg

Hope this isn't too rambling for ya! :D

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats!!! , I remember that feeling all too well from last year,

It's a heck of a rush that's for sure..!!

Thanks for the story, no rambling there, nice to hear someone harvested one opening weekend!

Congrats to ya, Robbie....you 'missed' your calling bro....you shoulda been an outdoors writer.

Heck, I felt as if I were on stand with ya!

What a great story, and blow by blow, at that!

We need more hunting and outdoor stories from ya Robbie...this one...it was just a teaser.

You have the talent for telling, my friend...now hunting season has just begun, so keep that keyboard 'popping'!

Cause...we demand more of dem!!! :D