Middle and Northern Middle Tennessee Meet!

Pick a date for our meet!  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Pick a date for our meet!

• Sat OCT 9th
    • Sun OCT 10th
    • Sat OCT 16th
    • Sun OCT 17th
    • Sat OCT 23rd
    • Sun OCT 24th
    • Sat OCT 30th
    • Sun OCT 31st

Based on this thread ( http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/events-gatherings/46672-any-northern-mid-tn-meetings-ever.html ) I decided I would start this one to see who in Middle and/or Northern Middle Tennessee would like to meet for some fun shooting.

The proposed place is the Middle Tennessee Shooting Complex ( Montgomery County Shooting Complex ).

I'm assuming most will want to either use the pistol or the rifle ranges but note that MCSC also has ranges for shotgun, and skeet, trap, sporting clays, five-stand and even archery if that's what you are looking for!

For myself, I'd prefer a Sunday outting simply because my Sunday's seem to be a bit more "open" than most of my Saturday's but whichever is best for you, please vote in the date selection poll and let's see if we can get together!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize it can be a bit far for many in the "Middle Tennessee" area; it's about 80 miles for me one way. However, I think MCSC is one of the best I've ever been to and the roads I take are more than enjoyable enough all by themselves. :tough:

The reason MCSC was suggested was because it was some folks up in that neck of the woods who wanted to try and have a meet.

Guest GunTroll

I've been there and like the spot. Any other more centralized ranges? Preferably outdoor for I'm a rifle shooter. More than a hundred yards would be a plus too! If not its not a deal breaker for me. Cheatham WMA is a no go for me unless we fully take it over. Some of the people who go there.......well, it ain't safe.

I can't vote on a date for I'm not sure about my calender at the moment. I'll get back to ya'.

Edited by GunTroll
I've been there and like the spot. Any other more centralized ranges? Preferably outdoor for I'm a rifle shooter. More than a hundred yards would be a plus too! If not its not a deal breaker for me. Cheatham WMA is a no go for me unless we fully take it over. Some of the people who go there.......well, it ain't safe.

I can't vote on a date for I'm not sure about my calender at the moment. I'll get back to ya'.

They have 50, 100 and 400 yard rifle ranges...is that long enough for you??? :D

I know I can't go on either the 16th or the 23rd (both are Saturdays); not that my being there is necessary; I was just trying to get something going...of course, it's very early in the voting at the moment!

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest GunTroll
They have 50, 100 and 400 yard rifle ranges...is that long enough for you??? :)

I know I can't go on either the 16th or the 23rd (both are Saturdays); not that my being there is necessary; I was just trying to get something going...of course, it's very early in the voting at the moment!

I know what they have. Thats why I said I've been there and like the place. 400 is fine for me.

I was more wondering if there was a place closer for the more middle of the state people. Or people on the fringes of the northern middle part like ....Sumner or Wilson, etc. Interstate accessible would be a plus too. If not MCSC works for me. We can always go green and carpool. AL would like that.

Sounds good, live on eastern edge of Montgomery County. Never been there though, we have a small range on our property. Saturday is best right now. My daughter is at Ft Leonardwood for basic and AIT, she calls Sunday afternoons when allowed. She'd be heartbroken if wasn't here. Been gone 2 weeks, don't know for sure when will call. Moma camps out next to the phone on Sundays. Look forward to meeting TGO'ers.

Sounds good, live on eastern edge of Montgomery County. Never been there though, we have a small range on our property. Saturday is best right now. My daughter is at Ft Leonardwood for basic and AIT, she calls Sunday afternoons when allowed. She'd be heartbroken if wasn't here. Been gone 2 weeks, don't know for sure when will call. Moma camps out next to the phone on Sundays. Look forward to meeting TGO'ers.

One of my best friends is being transferred to Fort LostInTheWoods (as it's known) to be an instructor (MP)...he just got back from his fourth deployment to Iraq late this past spring. If I can talk him into it maybe he'll join us form some shooting...last time I was at MCSC was with him and a couple other guys from the base.

My daughter is there and is doing MP. She will be there till the end of Feb through AIT and then goes to a Gaurd MP detachment at Waverly. she spent 3 1/2 days stuck in there barracks because they had no Drill Sgts after 3 days in reception. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

What time would we meet? I suggest as soon as they open.

If we do it on a Saturday (which seems the most likely to me at this point going by the voting) then I would suggest perhaps around 11AM to give everybody time to get there and maybe have a good breakfast on the way. If Sunday, then I would say as soon as they open (1PM).

As far as your question about a place closer, I know of several indoor ranges scattered around the Nashville area but I don't know of anyplace that offers what MCSC does (there may be some but not that I am aware of)...for me personally, I'd always rather be at an outdoor range if the weather is decent so for me, MCSC is a hands-down winner in that regard. ;)

My daughter is there and is doing MP. She will be there till the end of Feb through AIT and then goes to a Gaurd MP detachment at Waverly. she spent 3 1/2 days stuck in there barracks because they had no Drill Sgts after 3 days in reception. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

I believe my buddy has to report sometime in November so he and your daughter may well cross paths!

Last heard Owl Hollow was closed??? In any case, remember that original purpose of this meet was for the folks in the "Northern" areas of Middle Tennessee and I'm not sure that the Franklin area (if that's where Owl Hollow still is) fits that bill does it?

It's Ok by me either way...the purpose is to get together and have some fun! :D

Guest Bronker

Robert,

Something I've always thought would be neat, is for guys to bring stuff that is out of the ordinary, or for guys to list what they would like to shoot but never have.

Myself for instance, I have never shot an AK-47 or a 1911!!!!:D

So I could ask that someone bring an AK-47, and someone to bring a 1911. I don't per se have anything extraordinary, but there maybe someone who wants to shoot a Mosin-Nagant...well, I will bring mine. Up until a year ago, I had never fired a Glock. Well, now I have three, and another on the way.

Just a thought. A random, goofy thought.

Montgomery County Range is great for my wife and me. We are 30 miles (40 minutes) away. October 9 and 10 are impossible for us. We have commitments both days. All the other days are possible. We prefer Saturday mornings, but we will try to do Sunday if that is the way the vote is going.

I agree with the reply posted by someone that **when the range opens in the morning** is best.

I posted these directions a few days ago in the "Women and Guns" Forum. It might have some value to those not familiar with the area:

If you are somewhere between Dickson and Clarksville, I recommend the Montgomery County Shooting Range. Its address is Southside TN. It is about six miles east of the intersection of hwy 13 and hwy 46. Very nice. Good Range Officers.

$5.50 gets one person two hours. (I don't think they make an issue out of that... unless the place is REALLY JAMMED My wife and I have been there twice and I've never seen ANYONE asked to prove that s/he paid.. or when)

Open to public:

Fri 10 am to dusk

Sat 10 am to dusk

Sun 1 pm to dusk

During the summer months, dusk can be quite late. Under those conditions the range would close at 8 pm

Phone number -- area code is 931

When the range is open call 387-3456*

When the range is closed call 387-3256

*Bear in mind that the range may be open at times other than those listed above -- that is, open... but NOT to the general public.

Mike B

I think we'll leave the voting open for maybe three more days or so and then pick a date. At the moment, it's an even race between Saturday the 23rd and Sunday the 24th...my preference would be the 24th (mostly because I already have a commitment on the 23rd! :rolleyes: but whatever the group goes with is fine with me.

Robert,

Something I've always thought would be neat, is for guys to bring stuff that is out of the ordinary, or for guys to list what they would like to shoot but never have.

Myself for instance, I have never shot an AK-47 or a 1911!!!!:rolleyes:

So I could ask that someone bring an AK-47, and someone to bring a 1911. I don't per se have anything extraordinary, but there maybe someone who wants to shoot a Mosin-Nagant...well, I will bring mine. Up until a year ago, I had never fired a Glock. Well, now I have three, and another on the way.

Just a thought. A random, goofy thought.

I'm not sure it's all the goofy! I got to shoot my first AK about a month ago was happy to have had the chance.

Assuming I can come I'll be bringing at least a couple of 1911s, an HK45 and probably my Glock 20 10MM (which I haven't even shot yet as I just picked it up used this week); I'll likely also bring a SCAR.

If you are somewhere between Dickson and Clarksville, I recommend the Montgomery County Shooting Range. Its address is Southside TN. It is about six miles east of the intersection of hwy 13 and hwy 48. (That is correct. 48. 48. I made a mistake earlier.)

Mike