Legal Folder Carry Blade length

Does anyone know for sure if in Tennessee it is legal to carry a folding knife with a blade length of 4 inches? I am considering ordering a custom carry knife and I need to know if it can be carried legally before ordering,

Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4" blade is legal limit for any knife.

Note that "blade" is not defined, so knives that have more than 4" of metal before the grip, whether sharpened or not, may be iffy.

- OS

Thanks that is what i thought but was not sure

Guest bubruins

It would also be good to consider exactly where you plan on carrying the knife. I'm not sure where the 4" law comes from but it seems to be pretty universal. I know that when I'm on my campus I can't have a knife with a blade longer than 3" or it is considered a weapon. Even if it's not TN law or Nashville law I don't want to have to prove that my knife is not a "weapon" to anyone. For this reason I only carry a 2.5" folder although a 2.75" fixed would be a better alternative.

.... I know that when I'm on my campus I can't have a knife with a blade longer than 3" or it is considered a weapon....

According to TCA, ANY knife of ANY length is a forbidden weapon on ANY school grounds in TN.

Federally, any knife of 2.5" or longer is defined as a dangerous weapon, and is forbidden by federal law in a federal building.

- OS

Guest mosinon

man, I don't get this knife thing. Anything over four inches is illegal? So, if I'm using a machete to whack some aggressive kudzu I'm committing an infraction? And what about the ren faire guys all dressed up with their swords? What if I'm rolling with a scythe or lawnmower blade?

I just don't get the 4 inch knife law at all.

man, I don't get this knife thing. Anything over four inches is illegal? So, if I'm using a machete to whack some aggressive kudzu I'm committing an infraction? And what about the ren faire guys all dressed up with their swords? What if I'm rolling with a scythe or lawnmower blade?

I just don't get the 4 inch knife law at all.

Note that the 4" rule is in reference to "with the intent to go armed".

Obviously, longer bladed implements used in an obviously lawful context are not the intent of this statute.

You can whack weeds with your machete, but I wouldn't strap it on and wear it around town. Even those Society for Creative Anachronism guys could easily be in violation once they are through with their event if they want to parade around town with their swords.

The catchall and sane defense in TCA is that the statute does not apply to "Incident to lawful hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or other lawful activity"...

As has been said many times, that 7 inch Ka-Bar on your belt is cool driving to Tellico for hunting and camping out, and probably driving home from same, but hanging out with it daily in normal Knoxville environs is eventually gonna raise a LEO's eyebrow, and just depending on how things go, perhaps a need to raise some bail too.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • 3 months later...
Guest Strapped
Note that the 4" rule is in reference to "with the intent to go armed".

Obviously, longer bladed implements used in an obviously lawful context are not the intent of this statute.

You can whack weeds with your machete, but I wouldn't strap it on and wear it around town. Even those Society for Creative Anachronism guys could easily be in violation once they are through with their event if they want to parade around town with their swords.

The catchall and sane defense in TCA is that the statute does not apply to "Incident to lawful hunting, trapping, fishing, camping, sport shooting or other lawful activity"...

As has been said many times, that 7 inch Ka-Bar on your belt is cool driving to Tellico for hunting and camping out, and probably driving home from same, but hanging out with it daily in normal Knoxville environs is eventually gonna raise a LEO's eyebrow, and just depending on how things go, perhaps a need to raise some bail too.

- OS

I've been wondering about this myself. I have a Handgun Carry Permit but I'm not very educated on TN's laws on carrying knives. I own a Case XX Kabar with a 7" blade (12" overall length) and I have no idea when and where I can legally carry it. I know I can carry it while hunting but I'm not sure if it's legal to carry it any other time. i.e. If on my way home from a hunting trip and stop at a store or gas station. Do I have to take it off before entering? Does it have to come off while in the vehicle to/from my hunting spot?

I've been wondering about this myself. I have a Handgun Carry Permit but I'm not very educated on TN's laws on carrying knives. I own a Case XX Kabar with a 7" blade (12" overall length) and I have no idea when and where I can legally carry it. I know I can carry it while hunting but I'm not sure if it's legal to carry it any other time. i.e. If on my way home from a hunting trip and stop at a store or gas station. Do I have to take it off before entering? Does it have to come off while in the vehicle to/from my hunting spot?

It's pretty much a judgment call on part of law enforcement.

If you really want to be totally safe, I wouldn't wear it in "public" period; you never know when you might run into some LEO having a bad day that might just ruin yours, too.

Unlike a handgun or club, there is no permit for a +4" blade, only defense for how used, which can be gray.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Good thread. Good to know that I'm not alone in my interpretation that keeping a 9" bowie with my camping/hiking gear is perfectly acceptable. Seems to clearly fall under the "incidental to.." lawful activity section.

Folding knives with a blade length of 4" or less is legal in public places, except of course schools, federal buildings, and some events. Wearing sheath knives of any length is prohibited in all public places in TN. Notice I said "wearing". Camping, hiking, hunting, etc...they are suppost to be packed with gear & not worn. I was stopped once by police walking into a store because I got back from hunting and forgot I still had my SOG strapped to my belt. I didn't get in trouble because they knew I had obviously been hunting & simply forgot to leave it in the truck, but I wouldn't advise walking around Wally World all day with your sheath knife on your belt.

Edited by luvmyberetta
...Wearing sheath knives of any length is prohibited in all public places in TN....Camping, hiking, hunting, etc...they are suppost to be packed with gear & not worn.

Just wow. Stating total fiction like that benefits no one on this forum.

Have any other "laws" you've fabricated from thin air?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
According to TCA, ANY knife of ANY length is a forbidden weapon on ANY school grounds in TN.

Federally, any knife of 2.5" or longer is defined as a dangerous weapon, and is forbidden by federal law in a federal building.

- OS

I wonder how this works with dorms and kitchen knifes? Or is this again an "intent to go armed" provision?

Also what if the knife is simply being carried as a tool for opening packages not people? lol

For what little it is worth, the cops normally accept properly peace bonded swords and fighting daggers etc. during festivals/events/etc. for things like sci-fi conventions, SCA, etc. Normally meaning: say there are 20 guys in costume at wendy's with a convention next door, they overlook it and check a couple for the bond and so long as no one whips out a weapon and waves it around, it is let be. Now, with no event/convention nearby, you could quicky be pushing your luck.

At such events, you are required to have the bond unless giving a weapons demonstration, and once done with that, it goes back on. The event security folks will throw you out if you do not keep it tied up.

I wonder how this works with dorms and kitchen knifes? Or is this again an "intent to go armed" provision?

Also what if the knife is simply being carried as a tool for opening packages not people? lol

Yes, "intent to go armed" is qualifyer...plus, exception for "tools used solely for preparation of food, instruction and maintenance".

- OS

• 4 weeks later...

In the part of the state where I live if you get out of your truck which has a four wheeler in the back and are wearing camoflage and or blaze orange clothing I assure you nobody is gonna look twice if you have a "Rambo sized" pig sticker on your side. Just my observations.