Memphis "Call To Arms" October Meet at MSSA?

Guest jackdm3

Guest jackdm3

Froggy (Randy) wrote to me about the annual prone shooters competition at MSSA on the day we would normally meet. You guys let me know if you want to go to RUSA around 1:00 that Sunday or MSSA. Britanny said Sunday's competition hours go from 8AM to ?, and it's free for us to just go and watch. I won't do a poll. Just tell me here.

Your Oct Meet

I would like to see you get as many guys together for the Oct meet to be at MSSA on the 23rd and 24th of Oct.. Sat and Sun.. it will be this weekend that the Tennessee State Mid-Range Championships will be held.. We will be shooting at 300, 500 and 600 yards. Guys with bi-pods can shoot in F-Class catagories.. this is a great range and there have been more national records shot at this range than any other in Highpower prone and F-class. There will be some great shooters there and it will give many an opportunity to see what it is all about.. and if they like.. even shoot some.. each stage will be unlimited sighters with 20 rounds for score.

Randy

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MSSA is a great place for matches or group shoots, but for non-members it doesn't offer much for socializing. If you want to see what MSSA is like, participate in one of the IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, 3-gun or other matches that are available. There is a steel challenge this saturday.

by the way, nice sig Jack.

Guest jackdm3

I hear it is sorta high for a non-profit.

I just came up with a zany, out-of-the-question suggestion. Is there anyone that would actually have the time to go watch around 10 or so and go to RUSA at the regular time to actually shoot? No? Well, it was just a thought. :wall:

Guest FroggyOne2
MSSA is a great place for matches or group shoots, but for non-members it doesn't offer much for socializing. If you want to see what MSSA is like, participate in one of the IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, 3-gun or other matches that are available. There is a steel challenge this saturday.

by the way, nice sig Jack.

The offer is for those that would like to come by and learn.. I am sorry that it is not a stand around and socialize event.... This is an offer to allow you all a chance to learn about Highpower.. what it takes to get started.. I am for all forms of competition... so this is a chance to expand your knowledge first hand.. with some great shooters comming in from many areas of the country.. Yes the range will be full.. I have talked to the director of the match.. and has assured that there will be no problem for folks to come out.. bring some field glasses with you even.. don't be worried about asking questions.. highpower shooters are some of the friendliest and most knowledge sharing shooters I know of.. I have shot many forms competitions.. ie... bullseye, smallbore (prone), highpower (national match course and long range) IDPA, USPSA, PPC, Palma, Fullbore, Garand Matches, National Match Service Rifle.

Count me out. I am not a fan of a place that has it's "initiation" fee set so high that common folk can't join and shoot.

This is not a recruitment drive to get you to join.. this is an offer you to learn.. as I have said.. and to expand your knowledge of another aspect of competitive shooting. With the hope that you may become interested in at least trying our sport.. you don't have to be a member of any range that has highpower matches in order to shoot them. I live in Oak Ridge and I am going.. I am going to try to beat my national records.. it would be an honor to meet you guys while I am there..

There will be plenty of time for socializing between stages and to ask quesitions.. we will be more than glad to help anyone out!!!!!

The offer is for those that would like to come by and learn.. I am sorry that it is not a stand around and socialize event.... This is an offer to allow you all a chance to learn about Highpower.. what it takes to get started.. I am for all forms of competition... so this is a chance to expand your knowledge first hand.. with some great shooters comming in from many areas of the country.. Yes the range will be full.. I have talked to the director of the match.. and has assured that there will be no problem for folks to come out.. bring some field glasses with you even.. don't be worried about asking questions.. highpower shooters are some of the friendliest and most knowledge sharing shooters I know of.. I have shot many forms competitions.. ie... bullseye, smallbore (prone), highpower (national match course and long range) IDPA, USPSA, PPC, Palma, Fullbore, Garand Matches, National Match Service Rifle.

This is not a recruitment drive to get you to join.. this is an offer you to learn.. as I have said.. and to expand your knowledge of another aspect of competitive shooting. With the hope that you may become interested in at least trying our sport.. you don't have to be a member of any range that has highpower matches in order to shoot them. I live in Oak Ridge and I am going.. I am going to try to beat my national records.. it would be an honor to meet you guys while I am there..

There will be plenty of time for socializing between stages and to ask quesitions.. we will be more than glad to help anyone out!!!!!

Good stuff. It sounds very interesting. I will try to get out to see what the high power is all about. I am a member and i have started shooting some matches there. Every match has non-members. They are always welcomed and treated as any other shooter or watcher.

Please understand that we are not trying to avoid going. Several of us are members at MSSA and enjoy going to these matches. However, the majority of us don't have any rifles that we could use for this type of shooting because there aren't many ranges in the area.

Jack posted this in reference to it being our monthly meet. Our monthly meets are very social gatherings and often times, we spend more time hanging out than shooting. Therefore, this event probably wouldn't be the best venue for our regularly monthly meet. But a special meet could be setup for this. I think that would be awesome.

It isn't high to keep out the common folk.

by the way, anyone can shoot at the matches.

I did not say that it was high to keep out the common folk.

I said it's "initiation" fee is set so high that common folk can't join and shoot.

No matter the reason, that is the effect.

Edited by memphismason

I said it's "initiation" fee is set so high that common folk can't join and shoot.

I consider myself to be EXTREMELY common folk. I managed it. I think, like anything else, its just a matter of wanting it bad enough.

Guest jackdm3

Some of us are going around 10 AM and will go to RUSA at the usual 1 PM or so. That should work for anybody who wants to do something. I need to shoot a little to troubleshoot, anyway. Either before or after that, "visiting" is my favorite part!

I understand and thank you for letting us know about this event.

Speaking for myself and only myself, I never intend on going to MSSA until they change their ways. I do not agree with their practices as a business. They are cashing in on the fact that Memphis does not have a rifle range and charge $400 just to sign up. That is ridiculous. I am a member of 9 groups connected with the world's oldest, largest, and most charitable fraternity and all of my initiation costs barely exceed that amount.

Their yearly dues = $240 is fair. That is $20 a month and I would be happy to pay that, but that is after you pay them $400 for the privilege to use their facilities.

Now after saying all of that, I wish you the best luck and hope you do beat your records. Sounds like a very neat event and sport. The venue is in a nice part of the county and hopefully the weather will cooperate (it hasn't rained here in over 3 weeks).

Good Luck again!

I consider myself to be EXTREMELY common folk. I managed it. I think, like anything else, its just a matter of wanting it bad enough.

Yeah I can afford it, I just refuse to pay it for reasons stated in my post previous to this one.

I will plan on being at Range USA on Sunday the 24 @ 1:00pm. Is that the correct date and time?

Edited by memphismason

Speaking for myself and only myself, I never intend on going to MSSA until they change their ways. I do not agree with their practices as a business. They are cashing in on the fact that Memphis does not have a rifle range and charge $400 just to sign up. That is ridiculous. I am a member of 9 groups connected with the world's oldest, largest, and most charitable fraternity and all of my initiation costs barely exceed that amount.

Their yearly dues = $240 is fair. That is $20 a month and I would be happy to pay that, but that is after you pay them $400 for the privilege to use their facilities.

Now after saying all of that, I wish you the best luck and hope you do beat your records. Sounds like a very neat event and sport. The venue is in a nice part of the county and hopefully the weather will cooperate (it hasn't rained here in over 3 weeks).

Good Luck again!

Yeah I can afford it, I just refuse to pay it for reasons stated in my post previous to this one.

I will plan on being at Range USA on Sunday the 24 @ 1:00pm. Is that the correct date and time?

This. I'll drive to the TWRA range and shoot there for as often as I can afford to shoot rifles anyway. Rifles are a once in a while pleasure for me. 640 bucks for a first year buys alot of .223 is all I'm saying.

And for what it's worth I'd love to meet you guys somewhere, someday, but not at Range USA.

Edited by Punisher84
Guest uofmeet

I guess I am going to have to miss out on this one. Going to Nashville on Sunday to seeing the Titans whoop up on some Eagles. And Saturday is looking pretty busy also, but if you guys do something Saturday, I can at least try to make it.

This. I'll drive to the TWRA range and shoot there for as often as I can afford to shoot rifles anyway. Rifles are a once in a while pleasure for me. 640 bucks for a first year buys alot of .223 is all I'm saying.

And for what it's worth I'd love to meet you guys somewhere, someday, but not at Range USA.

So is there anywhere in the area that you are okay with? Or should we hold our meets at Guns & Leather?

So is there anywhere in the area that you are okay with? Or should we hold our meets at Guns & Leather?

I don't really care where you hold them. It wasn't a suggestion to change them for me, it was just a statement. Any other smart ass comments you want to make to me?

EDIT: I have my own personal reasons as to why I don't shoot at/purchase from/train with them anymore. It's a shame because I worked there for a long time and really loved it, but all good things come to an end and I have no desire to set foot in there anymore. Even if it is just to socialize with TGO members.

Edited by Punisher84

The point of these meets is to get together as many of us as we possibly can. I rather enjoy the meets. But if there is a group of people that won't attend because of venue, perhaps we should look into a change of venue. Make a suggestion!

I have no problem with you. And I apologize for my smart ass remarks. But I chose to join MSSA and like RangeUSA. With everyone bashing both of those, I feel like people are attacking my interests. Please forgive my defensive behavior.

I am sorry if i put words in your mouth. I see what you meant. It is a high initiation fee. I think it is high for another reason. I won't go into that here. It took me 6 months for me to save up for the initiation fee. I was against it until i visited with a friend. MSSA is so nice, i couldn't resist. The high fees do go back into the club.

Well it is a private club. The higher fee may not be high to keep out common folk, but it does serve to keep the club membership smaller and pays for shelby county property tax on 200 acres, upkeep, plates, structures, utilities, etc. MSSA is very nice. They have spent a lot of money on the facilities. There is no conspiracy. They are not trying to offend or leave out anyone.

Being that it is the only big range in the area. Can you imagine how crowded it would be if they had a much smaller fee? I would not shoot there if it were that crowded. I like that i can shoot without lines, not crowded in small lanes and can shoot any type of style i feel like that day. All without worrying about who is next to me, because of the background check and the high fee filters out the not so serious shooter.

Back on topic. To Jack: i will try to swing by and visit.

Edited by gotigers
The point of these meets is to get together as many of us as we possibly can. I rather enjoy the meets. But if there is a group of people that won't attend because of venue, perhaps we should look into a change of venue. Make a suggestion!

I have no problem with you. And I apologize for my smart ass remarks. But I chose to join MSSA and like RangeUSA. With everyone bashing both of those, I feel like people are attacking my interests. Please forgive my defensive behavior.

I have no personal or business problems with MSSA. I just don't shoot rifles enough to justify the membership right now. No worries, just wanted to make sure it was clear I wasn't suggesting anyone change anything because of me. If one afternoon we have a TGO lunch or something I'll be there lol

Well it is a private club. The higher fee may not be high to keep out common folk, but it does serve to keep the club membership smaller and pays for shelby county property tax on 200 acres, upkeep, plates, structures, utilities, etc. MSSA is very nice. They have spent a lot of money on the facilities. There is no conspiracy. They are not trying to offend or leave out anyone.

Being that it is the only big range in the area. Can you imagine how crowded it would be if they had a much smaller fee? I would not shoot there if it were that crowded. I like that i can shoot without lines, not crowded in small lanes and can shoot any type of style i feel like that day. All without worrying about who is next to me, because of the background check and the high fee filters out the not so serious shooter.

I understand all of that, but nevertheless......... :up:

That place is just not for me

Guest FroggyOne2

Good Luck again!

I understand what your saying.. I know of clubs that charge even more to join.. Riverbend in Ga for instance charges 600.00 to join plus the first years dues.. ORSA.. where I belong at here in Oak Ridge charges 120.00 a year.. period.. the sign up fee is called a one time grounds fee.. but really it is to keep the membership number down.. I don't know how many memebers MSSA has.. but ORSA has over 1900 that I know of. I guess I go by the aspect in the shooting world.. "Cry Once"..