Budget AR build for the thrifty user

Il Duce

So in my quest to build a good budget AR I did hours of pricing and repricing in order to find the best prices with quality parts. I kept these sites in hopes it may help someone else who who wants a AR but cannot spend a lot of money on one.

JSE Surplus Complete Upper $335.00

Custom 16" 1x9 5.56 Chrome Moly Carbine Upper

MOE Lower build kit $149.00

MOE Lower build kit

Includes:

Magpul MOE stock

Magpul MOE trigger guard

Magpul MOE grip

Daniel Defense lower parts kit

Mil-spec buffer tube assembly

Spikes stripped lower $89.99

SPIKES TACTICAL : Stripped AR-15 Lower Receiver (100-004-685) - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

That is a total of $573.99 plus you will need sights and does not include shipping.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mr_b8908

you can get a $65 lower from R-Guns and a complete parts kit from blacthorne for about $410. This is how I built my heavy bbl M4A3 and it will shoot MOA

....and a complete parts kit from blacthorne....

You may have had good luck (luckily!), but I would strongly caution anyone from buying from Blackthorne. They make some of the worst quality AR products out there. I have seen one of their uppers (that would not function) come with the gas tube severely bent. It looked to me that they torqued down the barrel nut after installing the gas tube. Many similar stories out there about their products. They are cheap for a reason. Avoid!!

ETA: Dolomite beat me by a nose!

Guest mr_b8908
Glad your Blackthorne is working for you.

Blackthorne is a rebrand of Hesse which is a rebrand of Vulcan Arms. Do a search for Vulcan Arms and Hesse and see why they changed their name so many times. They tend to have a lot of quality issues. The addresses are the same for all three companies.

Dolomite

I knew this going into my cheap AR endevor, and took the risk. What I ended up getting was a cerro A3 upper reciever with what I believe to be a wilson or mossberg bbl.

Rifle Kit, Carbine, A3 upper, 16 [AR-RKCA3] - $409.00 :: AK Parts kits - Superb Products

A3 Heavy bbl complete kit $409+shipping

Upon arrival I completely inspected all components of the parts kit and it all seemed up to par. I currently have a Barska 3-9x40mm scope attached and it does very well. I have had no failures whatsoever, except when i installed my hammerspring backwards, haha.

Here is a link to the R-Guns website, they sell quality parts at low prices. They buy out these smaller businnesses who manufacture Ar lowers to cut their possible competiton. Therefore they sell the bought out lowers cheap. Dont quoteme on this, but this is what i have been told.....

Welcome to the RGUNS Internet Storefront

Deleware Machineary lower $65+shipping. My lower is a Sharps which I got from them for $55, it has a very nice fit and finish I might add.

Here is what I ended up with, after adding a UTG rail set $45, cheap-o forward grip/bipod $15 that is quite sturdy, a bayonet that does not fit, and a scope... Now I please ask that you do not slander my red headed step child of the black rifle family. It was my first AR, and on top of that it was my first rifle build. I am proud of my results and recommend anyone who is wanting to get into the black rifle game to build their own, because unless you put it all together you may never completely understand how it all functions.

35au00i.jpg

2nvtj10.jpg

20sshv4.jpg

Edited by mr_b8908
Guest arsenal9mm

nice build. I built my first AR on a budget too. I also ordered from Blackthorne. Unfortunately for me I was not so lucky. It looked all good, but was horribly inaccurate. I think they over torqued the barrel nut. Also the gas key came loose and destroyed the gas tube. This was probably my fault for not checking the staking, however I was new to the building game and hadn't done enough research. It was a great lesson learned. I now have several builds under my belt. CMMG is having a nice sale on their uppers right now. I picked up a nice flat top chrome lined, 1/7 twist, SOCOM barrel for $375 with BCG and charging handle. Great product. I am super impressed. Kinda new to the forum, really nice post with great info.

I wasn't slandering your build, it is a good looking rifle. I am just glad it has worked out for you. Some do, some don't and it definitely sounds like you got a decent one. With the problems others were reporting with them I did not want to take a chance(I actually considered them as well). The best part about AR's is that whatever the problem is it can be easily fixed.

I too have one of the UTG railed handguards and for the money they are the best I have found. They are rock solid and do stand up to abuse very well. I have one on a 9mm AR and replaced the one on my 5.56 with a round free float tube.

I agree that everyone needs to build their own rifle at least once. For cost savings as well as having the pride in something you built yourself. It also allows you to build a rifle to fit your needs and wants and not the makers. Putting it together definietly helps understand the rifle as well as help diagnose any problems.

Again, it wasn't a hit on you or your gun. Just a hit on Blackthorne, Hesse, Vulcan or whatever their name will be next month.

Dolomite

Guest mr_b8908
I wasn't slandering your build, it is a good looking rifle. I am just glad it has worked out for you. Some do, some don't and it definitely sounds like you got a decent one. With the problems others were reporting with them I did not want to take a chance(I actually considered them as well). The best part about AR's is that whatever the problem is it can be easily fixed.

I too have one of the UTG railed handguards and for the money they are the best I have found. They are rock solid and do stand up to abuse very well. I have one on a 9mm AR and replaced the one on my 5.56 with a round free float tube.

I agree that everyone needs to build their own rifle at least once. For cost savings as well as having the pride in something you built yourself. It also allows you to build a rifle to fit your needs and wants and not the makers. Putting it together definietly helps understand the rifle as well as help diagnose any problems.

Again, it wasn't a hit on you or your gun. Just a hit on Blackthorne, Hesse, Vulcan or whatever their name will be next month.

Dolomite

Thanks for the good words dolomite, I wasnt saying that you were slandering. I undertand you warning about Blackthorne and it is something that people need to keep in mind when building a rifle. I handled a piece of crap Hesse G3 build at a gun show earlier this year, and they wanted $900 for it and it was a piece of you know what. Needless to say I wasnt directing anything towards you :) but instead towards the black rifle purists that think their high dollar pieces are the only way. I do hope that this thread is useful to someone looking to get started on a project of their own!

good thread guys. also dolomite is a top of the line fellow. i met him here an have used him for alot of info an even did a little tradin with him. he knows his stuff. also nice first build. looks good.

cam you give a link arsenal 9mm??

Edited by kdud03
Guest Armgdnman

I am in the process of building a gun for a buddy of mine. He bought a Spikes stripped lower from AIM and the LPK deal from Palmetto state. As for the upper. I spoke with Nick at JSESurplus and ordered an upper with a YHM 10" free float quad rail and low-pro gas block shipped to my door for $465 making the total build $722. Pretty tough to beat IMHO.