Spent casing stick in ar15

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

send some oil down the barrel to try and help "slick" it up and try the hammer again. have you tried to let the bolt slam on it and see if you can get the extractor to do it's job? if a cleaning rod is too flimsy go to lowes and pick up a 3/16" or slightly bigger 12 gauge steel rod and try that, it seems to be a little more rigid and sturdy than any cleaning rods I've had. What kind of ammo is it? I know I had a problem with the steel cased crap like wolf in my blackhawk, had to take the cylinder out and force the casings out with a screwdriver.

Some steel case ammo that they say is made in the same factory as wolf. I have shot alot of these rounds and today was my first one to give me any trouble at all

I only shoot Wolf or any of the other steel cased rounds through my eastern block/commie guns anymore. If the hammer you're using isn't working, get a bigger hammer. That little motto will work about 90% of the time. Just try and remember its a fine made peice of American made machinery, feed it crap and you'll get crap.

Finally got it haha. I was kinda scared to hit it really hard, but put my back into it and it popped right out. Thanks guys, I kinda suspect the culprit to be my .22 conversion. I switched the bolts out and didn't clean too good.

Had that happen to me once after I built my first AR. I was too scared to put my a$$ into the hammer, so I took it to my department's armorer. He proceeded to slam the living crap outta the butt on the concrete floor while pulling on the charging handle (causing the spent Wolf round to pop out), and gave me a good tongue lashing for "running the AR too dry". He said to "run it sloppy wet with CLP and it'll do just fine". So far he's been right. The ammo wasn't the problem... I was.

Had that happen to me once after I built my first AR. I was too scared to put my a$$ into the hammer, so I took it to my department's armorer. He proceeded to slam the living crap outta the butt on the concrete floor while pulling on the charging handle (causing the spent Wolf round to pop out), and gave me a good tongue lashing for "running the AR too dry". He said to "run it sloppy wet with CLP and it'll do just fine". So far he's been right. The ammo wasn't the problem... I was.

Yep sloppy wet, I should have known better I just didn't think about it.

Also, if your chamber is a little rough from machining this can exacerbate the issue of stuck cases.

After you clean look into the chamber area, providing it isn't chrome lined, and look for machining marks. If you see some then get a .45 cal bore mop and attach it to a section of cleaning rod. Nothing too long, just long enough to get you into the chamber. Then take that section of cleaning rod and chuck it into a drill. Load the mop with Flitz, put it into the chamber and begin to spin the mop using the drill. Spin it slowly and check very often, like every 20-30 seconds. While spinning the mop move it in and out of the chamber. Once the chamber starts to look shiny you are done. It is hard to over do it but it still is possible so take your time.

Again, only do this if you don't have a chrome lined chamber, With a chrome lined chamber it is unlikely that this will make the chamber any slicker than it already is. I have done this to numerous AR's as well as many other types of firearms that seen to have rough chambers. It does help without harming the chamber.

Dolomite

Do you all have any suggestions for some brass ammo? I'm looking for a mix between decent price and reliability. I just have a carbine so don't need any target ammo or anything.

There is plenty of controversy over running steel case or lacquer coated ammo. You just experienced firsthand the reason I won’t use it. The problem was the ammo. Don’t defend it because it is cheap; it is damaging your gun. However, if you shoot a lot and the gun you are shooting it in is just a cheap range gun; that may be a valid trade off.

Wal-Mart sells quality brass ammo. AIM runs some pretty good sales from time to time. Sign up for their email sale notices.