Turkey Frying Recipes and Tips

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, remembering what my dad told me, use peanut oil because it is more temperature tolerant. Some of the lesser oils when just barely overtemped will smoke, he said.

All kinds of injectable marinades out there, so you might have to get a couple of turkeys before then to "try" some out and perfect your technique before being on the center stage on Thanksgiving.

My dad also created a filter to filter the oil when ready to break the setup down. Makes oil last/taste better longer if all the little cracklins that naturally come off during cooking are filtered out before storage. He made the filter out of 4" PVC pipe and it uses a paper towel for the filter element. Edit: He also said something about storing the oil in a light resistant package, like the original jug in the box because light breaks the oil down. I don't know how he figured that out.

I've got to figure all that out for myself now cause he passed this last Easter and I'll be the one responsible for getting it done. It sucks having to try and figure out stuff that a mechanical engineer whom graduated from GA Tech in the early 50's doped out cause I ain't that smart...........

Edited by hardknox00001

As a veteran turkey fryer, I agree with hardknox above on the peanut oil. What I have begun doing the last several years is just doing several turkey breasts with the skin on and doing a dry rub mixed with hot sauce and keeping it in the fridge for about 24 hours before cooking. Some of the injection packages you can buy can overpower the birds natural flavor when you fry one.

The other trick I always tell people to do if they are new to frying is to do a wet run. Once you buy your bird, whole or breasts, before you marinate, use water in the fryer and then place the bird in to determine the exact oil line you will need once you start cooking and mark it on the outside/inside with a piece of tape that can be removed when you are ready to cook. There are plenty of videos on YouTube showing the dangers of using too much oil and the water trick allows for you to adjust for each birds weight. You just need it barely covering the top.

The other essential need is a long stemmed thermometer to help regulate the temp. You have to keep it consistant.

Let me know if you have more specific questions....Oh and don't forget the fireproof long armed gloves. They are golden.

Duckhunteresq

Get a Cajun injector available at any grocery in the marinade section. If they have something like Emerils Bayou Blast get some of that too. Liberally inject the completely thawed bird with the juice and cover the inside and out with the seasonings.

Defintely use 100% peanut oil (expensive) or a peanut oil blend. I've used the blend that you can get in big 5 gallon jugs at Sam's it works. Peanut oil has a much lower flash point than regular vegetable oil so is much safer.

Assuming you have a turkey fryer stand up the frozen bird in pot and fill with water to just cover the end of the turkey. Make a little mark there so you know how much oil to put in later.

When you go to frying EASE THAT BIRD IN THERE. If you just drop it in the hot oil you WILL have a catastophe on your hands. Do it outside...not, I repeat, not in the garage. Just watch the news around Thanksgiving and see how many turkey-frying garage fires there are.

Let it go for 45 - 60 minutes. Pull it out and feast.

Like Duckhunteresq said...:D

Guest carbonarcher

Soy oil also works well and is not as expensive, personally I would stay away from the wet marinates. JMHO. I would go with the dry rub, it has always worked out for me and given a great moist turkey. The other thing, is don't overfill that pot! People seem to forget the laws of displacement. The other thing is to lower that bird REAL slow( just like Garufa said!) into the oil, you may wish to have a second person with you if you have a big turkey.

I will say, that will only fry my turkey for T-Day! It will come out that good! Reasons- you are sealing the outside of the turkey, which locks in all of the natural juices. Man oh Man what a difference it makes!

As far as dry rubs you will have to play around with flavors you and your family like......

Good Luck!

Don't forget that ALLSTATE commerical that talked about 55 houses catching on fire from turkey frying!

I have found that 350 degrees works the best for me.

Guest carbonarcher

I don't know if you have ever ordered from Larue tactical, he sends a small bottle of "Dillo dust" stuff is awesome! This stuff is that good! I was shocked! I gave him all the info he needed to market it in the north east in a high end supermarket, being down here I don't know if he did. I would check it out! Even if you don't use it for T-day, it is great to have on hand when you are in a pinch and can't make your own.

During what little research I've done on various websites, it seems the cooking time tends to vary from 2 1/2 minutes per pound to 5 minutes per pound. I'm planning on a 12 pound +/- whole bird. What seems to work best for you?

Also, are there any certian brands of turkey I should lean towards or stay away from? Because it has been requested by a few family members and friends, I plan on trying to find an organic/free-range bird, if possible.

Guest carbonarcher

I am new to the area, and don't know how popular they are down hear. I have not looked for them myself, you can never go wrong with Kosher turkey. Empire is one brand. Due to the way that they raise them and slaughter them, the few times I have had nothing but good feedback. I would be ready if you go organic to pay out the rear end..... Just remember that when you see organic chicken or turkey, they are not going to look like what you think they are. They will be pale and may not be as big. Remember the reasons that they will not have that "yellow" skin due to corn feeding and not as big, no Growth hormones. So don't be shocked when you look down at a butterball or perdue and see how yellow they are compared to the organic.

The other thing is if you do buy it frozen, make sure you thaw in the fridge and give it 3-4 days. DO NOT LEAVE IT OUT ON THE COUNTER! What will happen is the out side will thaw out and the inside will be frozen. Bacterial will breed like crazy on the outside.

The other thing is that alot of people have a problem properly cooking poultry. All poultry is cooked to 165 for 15 seconds, then it is safe. I will not dry out and be like shoe leather! Trust me! I have cooked thousands of turkeys!

Feel free with any other questions!

Guest carbonarcher

Almost forgot, get a good thermometer, and you will check the temp in the breast and between the thight and the fold. If it is at 165 there, you are good, no one gets sick!!!!!!!

Above notes are good, especially wet trial run. Don't forget to dry the turkey as much as possible.

Moving to a infrared cooker this year. Father-in-law has developed an issue with peanut oil. I've heard pretty good things about the infrared cookers.

Look up recipes for Frogmore Stew. Something else good to cook in your turkey fryer...

One important tip - make sure the bird is as dry as you can get it before lowering it into the oil. Both outside and in every cavity, nook and cranny...any water that's not internal to the skin will immediately flash to steam, popping very hot oil everywhere...and right onto the heat source. Needless to say, if its been previously frozen, it must absolutely be thoroughly thawed, or the scenario above repeats.

I find a limit of 14lbs on the weight is best. Make sure (as said here) that baby is totally ice free (see cavity). Room temp bird before a slow decent into the oil. Eye protection, gloves.

Oh yeah, Cajun Injector, then a dry rub on outside.

I will never go back to baked turkeys.

For what it is worth with a 12 pound whole bird you say you are planning on frying, cook the over vs. under on the minutes per pound.....especially at 350 degrees......I have only been doing this for about 20 years, but if you go with 350 at 2.5 mins/lbs your guest may be very sick......Pun intended......

I love fried turkey, but my wife can't make her famous dressing with the juice form a fried turkey so I don't get to make one. :P

I can tell you that the "wet marinades" are great, I use a buter creole one and in a 18 to 22 lb turkey I use about 2 bottles. (shhhhhh) and it comes out juicy and tender.

Yes if you are keeping the oil it need to go into a "light" protected container. I lost 4 gal of once used oil because I didn't.