Survival Tin

Guest mikedwood

Guest mikedwood

If anyone else has a mini survival kit bought or made lets see it! Post a picture and tell what's in it.

I saw one of these in a SAS video, Ebayed the SAS ones and they are $35 to $50 each. Hum what could I do?

The SAS ones did have a string saw or whatever you call them (which I don't have and it wouldn't fit if I did) and a whistle which I couldn't fit in there. Other than that I think mine is superior.

I decided to see what I could put together. Here is what I can up with for my mini (fits in your pocket) bug-out tin.

1 Snus tin (it's kind of water proof and I taped it shut, so it's real water proof ATM)

1 swiss army knife

1.5' Duct tape

3' twine

12' fishing line (30 pound test)

3 hooks

3 sinkers

1 packet of sugar for taste and calories

1 packet of salt for taste and whatever

1 alcohol pad

1 pencil

3 sheets of post it paper

6 matches (water proof)

1 packet non-dairy creamer

I took the tea out cause the tin wouldn't close with it in there.

It fits in my pocket so I think it could be useful in the woods or where ever you might get stranded near a pond. Just wanted to show it off.

survivaltin.jpg

Edited by mikedwood
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mikedwood
Questions/suggestions

Where will you strike the matches?

Have you thought about polishing the inside of the bottom of the tin for a signal mirror?

I cut the strike paper off the match box and put it in there with the matches :shrug:

I have thought of polishing the bottom actually and or adding tin foil but polishing is a better idea cause it's slam full right now.

I cut the strike paper off the match box and put it in there with the matches :shrug:

I have thought of polishing the bottom actually and or adding tin foil but polishing is a better idea cause it's slam full right now.

That's what I did with my waterproof matches. I bought a little container that fits a few matches, the match striker, and a striker thing that comes with little cotton like pieces that you can use to start a fire.

You can also do the same thing with an Altoids tin. One thing I'd suggest you try to fit in there is an emergency blanket if at al possible. Then you have some sort of shelter too. There is an excellent thread on PSKs here. The first post has an excellent setup and is similar to yours with the addition of a USGI compass pouch to store the PSK and an emergency blanket in.

Pocket Survival Kit - Bushcraft USA Forums

Also on that same site, there is an excellent little video on what to do with that little Turley Knife he has in his kit. By all accounts those are excellent little blades. The maker (It's a custom and he is a member there along with a bunch of other custom knife makers) can't keep them in stock.

Guest mikedwood

Some good ideas there. Thanks for the link. I want to put a saw in mine but I don't trust those corded saws. I have to go to the hardware store Monday so I think I will see what they might have that can be improvised.

Also water is a concern. I don't like the tablet idea cause what are you going to put the water in? Maybe a baggie? I think I might could boil water in my tin top or bottom.

I don't want to increase the size of the tin cause it fits in jeans pocket perfectly. If it will fit there it will fit in any pocket.

I can get some prepackaged sugar and salt and fit more stuff in I think. I have a lot of sugar and salt in there. But both would be very nice and useful to have over a 2 to 3 day situation.

Guest mikedwood
Ace hardware has strike-anywhere matches... waterproofing them is fairly simple.

I ended up using a dog-tag chain, and have a small knife, compass, matchbox (the old Marbles waterproof tube), a knife sharpener and a thumblight on it.

Post a picture of it please. Be kind of neat to have a mini survival kit thread.

The purpose of the PSK is a take anywhere last ditch item. What if you lose your daypack? Then a wire saw becomes very practical. Even Field and Stream recommends hunters put together some sort of PSK just for emergencies.

But I understand your point. I now carry a tomahawk and a folding pruning saw in my BOB. Some may prefer a hatchet or even a smallish axe. I look at a hawk as much more than a simple chopping too, but also a good in close weapon. One I recommend is the Cold Steel Trail Hawk.

Just remember that the PSK is a last ditch survival package, not the be all end all of survival.

Thats a decent 'hawk. Might pick one up for Christmas (might not, budget being what it is at the moment).

Yeah, a wire saw has its place - but not as a primary tool. If you're toting a day pack, you've got room for something better. Great for a pocket survival kit, though.

Guest buttonhook

we use to take strike anywhere matches and dip them in parafin to waterproof and add to the burn time/fuel to them. Also the small swiss army with the saw blade work really good

• 2 weeks later...

After seeing this, I am working on one for myself. I had a few very very basic essentials in a little pouch I carried on my day pack, but instead of the tin, I am thinking about using one of these:

Maxpedition M-1 WAISTPACK

I will probably keep some in a small container, preferably waterproof, so I can pull it from the pack and drop it in my pocket, but for days I will be out in the woods, I can just put the whole thing on my belt. I was thinking of the "Altoids tin" part to be one of these:

Pelican Memory Card Case

Since the memory card case is plastic, no dents and I figure it will go easier on any sort of compass I put in it. What do you folks think?

Edited by East_TN_Patriot
Guest RiseMechanical

Metal containers do bend, but most times can be bent back into a usable container. If a hing breaks, I hope there is still some duct tape left!

If plastic bends too far, of course, it breaks. More duct tape. I really like Pelican's "If you Break it, We Replace it, Forever" policy/motto, but that is really only good once you are back to civilization.

I use and would recommend checking out the Maxpedition FR-1. It is super tough but if it gets damaged, can easily and quickly be mended with (hopefully)a little thread or fishing line from the contents. The zipper is super heavy duty, but could still be repaired if damaged.

Once it's belted on, it can't be misplaced, forgotten or lost and it's still small enough to not get in the way. I personally like the open design better than the Maxpedition M-1 as well. JMTCW

Edited by RiseMechanical