Transplanted out West

Guest ghokur

Greetings ya'll,

Just a southern boy sent by the military out west and have been here ever since. I kind of miss the green, but you can't beat the wide open spaces out here.

Towerclimber37 recommended this site and I am happy to be here.

Still trying to figure out how to use this new fangled thing called a computer. I have recently come across a customized Remington XP-100 but do not have any other information on it. I know they made it in different calibers through the years but I could not find any intel on the Remington web site or anywhere else on the web for that matter. Hence, I kindly implore those of you who may have any information that will enlighten me.

Once I can figure out how to post images to the photo gallery, I will have several photos of the varmint pistol for you to look at.

Here is the info from the weapon.

Model = Remington XP-100

Serial = 7508746

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Remington XP-100300px-McMillan_xp100_right.jpg

McMillan custom stock for XP-100TypeBolt-action pistolPlace of originUnited States of AmericaProduction historyDesignerRemington Arms CompanyDesigned1963ManufacturerRemingtonProduced1963-1998VariantsXP-100 Varmint Special, XP-100 Silhouette, XP-100 Hunter, XP-100 Custom, XP-100R, XR-100 RangemasterSpecificationsBarrel length10.75 or 14.5 in. (273 or 368 mm)Caliber.221 Fireball, .22-250 Remington, .223 Remington, .250 Savage, 6 mm BR Remington, 7 mm BR Remington, 7 mm-08 Remington, .308 Winchester, .35 RemingtonActionbolt-actionEffective range200-300 mMaximum range300 mSightsOptical scopeThe Remington XP-100 (from eXperimental Pistol number 100) is a bolt action pistol produced by Remington Arms from 1963 to 1998. The XP-100 was one of the first handguns designed for long range shooting, and introduced the .221 Remington Fireball (often called .221 Fireball), which is still the fastest handgun cartridge ever produced by a major ammunition maker. A decidedly odd looking gun, the XP-100 redefined the meaning of handgun accuracy, and the original XP-100 is still competitive today in the sport of handgun varminting, which it helped create.[1][2]

Contents

[hide]

[edit] Description

The XP-100 was based on a short action bolt action carbine, the Model 600, with a 10 3/4" barrel set into a nylon stock with an unusual center-mounted grip. Chambered in .222 Remington in early prototypes, the short barrel produced significant noise and muzzle flash. Subsequently the case was shortened to reduce powder capacity to a volume more suited to the shorter barrel of a pistol. The resulting cartridge, the .221 Fireball, produced factory loaded velocities of over 2700 fps from the short barrel, and accuracy rivaling the parent .222 Remington, one of the most accurate cartridges made.[1]

All but the XP-100R model, made in 1998 only, were single shot designs, while the XP-100R had a small internal magazine (holding a four rounds plus one in the chamber) typical to most bolt action rifles.

[edit] Model history

The XP-100 went through a number of changes during its production run, and many variations were only available through the Remington Custom shop. The most significant changes in the later versions were to barrel length, which went to 14 1/2", and the grip location, which was moved to the rear of the stock. The calibers also changed; with the elimination of the original 10 3/4" barrel, the reduced powder capacity was no longer such a requirement, and the chamberings switched to standard commercial rifle cartridges. By the time the XP-100 was discontinued, it faced stiff competition from other bolt-action pistols as well as the versatile Thompson Center Arms break-action Contender.

[edit] Model production by year

• XP-100 (1963-1985)
  • XP-100 Varmint Special (1986-1992)
  • XP-100 Silhouette (1980-1994)
  • XP-100 Hunter (1993-1994)
  • XP-100 Custom (1986-1994)[3]
  • XP-100R (1998)[4]
  • XR-100 (2005-Present)[5]

[edit] Caliber production by year

[edit] Current production

The XP-100 action was used as the basis for a new single-shot rifle from Remington called the XR-100 Rangemaster.[5]

While the XP-100 has disappeared from Remington's lineup (Remington is primarily a maker of rifles and shotguns), the .221 Fireball still lives on. The Model 700 rifle has been available since 2002 in a .221 Fireball chambering; while it lacks the velocity attainable with the vastly more popular .223 Remington, also a .222 Remington derivative, the short .221 Fireball delivers most of the performance with far less noise and flash, thanks to its shorter, more efficient cartridge. [6][2]

[edit] Factory recall

XP-100 pistols were recalled in 1979 because of a safety issue. The bolt was fully locked in the safe position, making it impossible to unload the gun while it was on safe. Remington made a free modification available that allowed the user to open the bolt while the gun was on safe, allowing them to unload the gun.[1]

Hey Pete! good to see you made it here!

Right now, I have 4 days home, so I'm not even up that way...but I will be soon. we're still waiting on parts so we can finish that cable install.

As for the xp100...get some pics, or email ME the pics and I can post them..chances are that someone on here will know what model it is, when it was made, etc.

failing that, they can put you in touch with someone at Remington that will do the job!