Motorcycle carry?

For those of you who ride motorcycles & carry, how have you gone about doing it?

I've been riding for many years & just got my permit. In looking at different carry options, I've come across a few issues to consider:

- Accessibility. Can I draw my firearm while seated on my bike? Can I access it quickly & easily?

- Visibility. If I'm carrying concealed (which would be most of the time), will my firearm stay concealed while getting on & off the bike, and getting in & out of my riding gear?

- Security & weather protection. If I keep my firearm on my bike, how will I keep it from being stolen & keep it dry & clean?

- Usability: Can I effectively use my firearm while wearing my normal riding gear? Granted, this is more of a personal question than a group one, but it's something I need to take into consideration.

I know that there's no "perfect solution", since some of those points are mutually exclusive, and different options will make more sense depending on the rider & the situation.

I'm curious to see what you've done; how have you done it & what was the rational? How well has it worked for you?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride constantly and this has been one of my biggest things. I ride with a LE MC so we all carry. I'll try to address them individually.

Access- It depends on what you wear. If you wear a vest just get vest extenders instead of pulling the vest tight and closing it. This allows the vest to cover the gun and have room at the bottom for you to move it and access the weapon. You can also get a shirt that's a little long that will cover it. If you wear a jacket you'd have to leave it unzipped.

Visibility- Short answer is No. It's not going to stay concealed 100% of the time. Wind moving your stuff around, body motion, etc. If it's on your hip, it's most likely going to show.

Security and weather- Unless you have locking saddlebags you pretty much just have to hide it best you can. As for the weather any good waterproof bag or case will do. A good SeaLine bag will fold up and keep it nice and dry.

Usability- I have played with mine and found that concealing strong side underneath my vest with the vest extenders is the easiest way to access it and yes you can effectively draw it while seated. Even riding if you really had to and had cruise control lol Unless you're left handed then you're good to go.

Another thing to consider is a shoulder holster. If you get a good comfortable one and wear a jacket or vest over it no one will ever see it. It will also probably be the best place for it if you lay the bike down. Having a gun on your hip is going to catch and hurt like hell I'd imagine.

Hope this helps!

My normal mode of carry is pocket carry. While I know it woldn't allow me access while on the bike, most of the time I just leave it in my pocket. If I'm going to be on an all day ride, I have used a shoulder holster and wore my vest over it. But still...it is setup for a right hand draw which would be hard while moving on the bike at least. If 100% concealment isn't an issue, OWB is a good way.

I carry in waist band and it stays concealed most of the time. Like Punisher said, it's not going to be 100% and I have received a "Your gun is showing" but I don't really worry about it any more. I try to stay concealed but I've long since gotten over the phobia of anyone seeing it.

I have locking side bags, but I rarely use them for my gun. I will if I have to but it's more personal preference. That also takes care of the weather question.

Good luck finding the solution that works best for you.

Guest buttonhook

I carry at the 4:00-5 oclock position with a tuckable (crossbreed) holster. I just tuck my shirt in as I would normally (keeps it from blowing up my back anyway). With a jacket on (even in the summer) it hasn't been a problem even on the sportbike. But how fast are you going to be anyway drawing on the bike? you going to just let your bike fall? you going to take the time to put the stand down? I'm not worried about drawing a gun while on the bike. I figure I'll try to bug out before I fight when on the bike anyway. So I just carry just as I would normally. On the bike distance and speed are my friend in a gun fight. another good option if your guns size allows is a good ankle holster...your going to be wearing long pants anyway right???

Edited by buttonhook
But how fast are you going to be anyway drawing on the bike? you going to just let your bike fall? you going to take the time to put the stand down? I'm not worried about drawing a gun while on the bike. I figure I'll try to bug out before I fight when on the bike anyway. So I just carry just as I would normally. On the bike distance and speed are my friend in a gun fight. another good option if your guns size allows is a good ankle holster...your going to be wearing long pants anyway right???

I wear a full-face helmet, Cordura motorcycle jacket, and Cordura motorcycle pants (both with soft armor) every time I ride. I also ride with a backpack 99% of the time. Between the stiffness of the armor, the full coverage of my gear, and the weight of my backpack, I'm not able to access much of anything under my gear (with any reasonable speed). Shoulder holster perhaps, but it's slower than I'd like, having to un-snap & un-zip my jacket. I've thought about pocket carrying in either a thigh or chest pocket on the outside of my gear (velcro closure on the pocket flap).

Totally agreed, speed & maneuverability are my assets on a motorcycle. What got me thinking about carrying in the first place was a close-call I had while on the bike in which taking off was not a good option, and running would have been too slow & cumbersome:

I was entering a freeway on-ramp from a stoplight & had to yield to traffic from another lane. Another motorcycle came from behind me, didn't see me, and nearly rear-ended me. He swerved just in time & came to a stop about 50 yards in front of me, on the shoulder. He turned around on his seat & started yelling expletives at me. All of the other cars saw what happened & came to a stop, blocking all routes but one: straight towards him (heading upstream on a freeway on-ramp was not a safe option, anyway). Thankfully, after a minute or so he finally had his say & rode on. If he had decided to get up & run at me, things could have gone much worse.

I can't envision a situation where I would need to draw & shoot while in motion ;); like you said, escape is the best option in that case. But in my situation I would have needed access to a firearm quickly, and without the clumsiness of dismounting or trying to un-button my gear.

I figured that other riders have found some interesting solutions that I wouldn't have thought of. It's a neat discussion, especially considering that every rider is so different in what will work best for them. :D

Guest buttonhook

in that case an ankle hoster would have been good to have. I know my pants have velcro legs cuffs and I could grab a gun pretty quick. prop the bike over holding it with my other foot reach down pull the velcro and pants leg up and draw the gun. I'm almost touching my toes while riding anyway ;)

But I ride in pretty much the same gear as you and I can draw my gun if needed from the waste band

or better yet a tank bag

Edited by buttonhook
Guest kirkosaurus

I don't like to pocket carry because of lack of access but have in the past if I've had to (too hot to wear a jacket). Saturday I rode out to Henry Horton state park (shot some trap with some friends) and carried my SP101 in a OWB holster underneath a mesh jacket. It concealed well and was very comfortable.

I'm looking for a solo bag to put on my bike, and thought that I'd put a couple of holes through it to secure it and a lock box inside it to the frame with cable. (I'm primarily concerned about storing my gun at work since I can't carry there, and it would be in a secure lot.)

When I'm on the bike I either carry in an inside jacket pocket or an OWB holster at about 5:00. No one has ever said anything to the fat mean-looking old guy on the Harley about it, even though I'm sure it's been seen occasionally.

Wouldn't have thought of a biker using a fanny pack but if a Marine biker does it, I don't question it.

Semper Fi and Semper Paratus! :lol:

Yea, I know, I am well aware of how silly it looks:cool:,it has been the only practical way I have found to be able to access my weapon with a heavy zipped jacket, it is only on when I am riding, my regular holster I keep in my saddle bag and switch over at my destination.

On the somewhat rare occasions in which I take my gun riding, I keep it in the tank bag in a thumb-break holster.

I'm also somewhat the gear nazi and wear a full-face, boots, gloves, and either a leather jacket, leather/tex jacket or 1pc leather suit. I've tried, and I can't use my gun effectively while wearing my riding gloves, they don't fit in the trigger guard. So I'd have to ditch the gloves and fish the gun out of the bag to deploy it. Not exactly speedy. I also have no desire to fall on my gun if I go down.

My best defense is my right wrist. Twist and go.

I use an NRA holster shirt when riding the mountains and spirited rides with no destinations other than fuel stops. It keeps my gun dry and well hidden under my jacket. I have a beaded key chain on my zipper so it opperates better in gloves. If I am going to dinner or commuting I carry IWB as always. Sometimes I just put my 45 in a belt holster with no cover, printing or even open carry is not an issue to me especially on a bike.

I guess that everyone is looking at my bikes or I'm going to fast for anyone to see a gun because I have never had any comments.

Guest sculpinyakker

I sold my bike years ago, but I would not change my method of carry to ride (appendix IWB). I do have a buddy that rides. He came over the other day and as he mounted the bike, his shirt tail rose exposing his piece which was IWB in the center of his butt!! I did not say anything, had a good laugh....

Guest faust921

IWB holster in the boot on the inside seems logical but hard to re-holster. I'd prefer under my right arm. If someone is trying to use their car as a weapon, or points a gun at me, I'd want my gun in one hand and the throttle in the other.

Guest faust921
Saturday I rode out to Henry Horton state park (shot some trap with some friends) and carried my SP101 in a OWB holster underneath a mesh jacket. It concealed well and was very comfortable.

If you shot trap with that SP101, you're a pretty good shot!