Which 1911 to get?

wvglock

I am torn between 1911's.

I really like what I hear about the Trojan 1911, but I also would like to get a Colt Gold Cup. Are Colts getting better. I have not shot many. I have read that they are loose and can not compete with the STI. Anyone have any experience with both?

Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I want a range gun that would be a good HD gun, and an occasional carry. I carry a S&W 1911 w/ LG for my daily. I wanted to start rotating in a DW CCO, that I got not too long ago. The problem is that the S&W is good but not great. I was looking to step up to something a little bit tighter, and with target sights.

Guest Plainsman
I want a range gun that would be a good HD gun, and an occasional carry. I carry a S&W 1911 w/ LG for my daily. I wanted to start rotating in a DW CCO, that I got not too long ago. The problem is that the S&W is good but not great. I was looking to step up to something a little bit tighter, and with target sights.

What is it that makes the S&W "good but not great"? I'm curious as I've read some good reviews on some of the S&W 1911s.

Guest carbonarcher

I have two custom colt's in my avaitar. They were built by EGW. They are great guns and would rely on them with my life. They also were not that way, when I first purchased them. They are series 80 government models. One is stainless and the other carbon. As far as the Gold cup goes, I did have one, I used it hard and put it to bed wet. It did not stand up to "range use". The sight is the weak spot on it. It was constantly breaking and having to go back to Colt.

Please make no mistake, I am a huge Colt fan, They are now just getting on the band wagon with the custom pistols. I would go with the STI if you wish to purchase as is, and not have to sink any money into it... If you wish to have a project gun then get a standard 1911 and have a smith make it the way that you wish to have it...

I am looking for a 1911 commander, as much as I love Colt, I will not purchase a Colt this time around.

Just my two cents!

STI, no contest!

STI may be the most respected "real shooters gun" out there and their customer service is pretty much legendary. I've owned a Wilson Combat CQB and had a fair amount of trigger time with Baer's, Brown's, and Nighthawk's and IMO if you care more about purely shooting the thing more than anything else it is the one to get.

FWIW, even though cheaper, the Spartan's are pretty much regarded as highly as the Trojan's, so if you've got some upgrade/personalization plans or want to get your extra mags and/or holster set-up all in one shot that's a fine route too.

I'm planning on ordering a Spartan 9mm customized with an S&A magwell, SVI intrchangeble trigger, VZ grips and a trigger-job real soon myself, hopefully before Christmas... should be almost exactly as I want it and still come in around a grand!

Thanks for all the great advise. The thing that makes the S&W good and not great is the "loose" trigger, that is suppose to be that way. The MIM take down lever that is "mating" to the frame. The long break in period. Its a fine shooter and a great price, but my CCO shows the difference in quality. I wonder what technically is different between the trojan and the spartan. I could always use some more ammo and upgraded sights and a magwell. My budget is 1K give or take. I shoot about once a week, and reload .45 so ya it will get about 5-6K rounds yearly.

I wonder what technically is different between the trojan and the spartan.

Both guns share exactly the same internal parts, STI tool steel hammers and S-7 sears, a bit of STI-made MIM, but no crap by any means.

The Trojans are 100% STI parts made in the USA, wholly built in Texas at STI, they also have front-strap STIppling (which is actually pretty tame and mostly cosmetic), under-cut trigger-guards, and in the 9mm's ramped barrels (maybe the biggest difference). They run around $400 more than the Spartans.

The Spartans are RIA/Armscor frames and slides put together in the Philippines with the internal STI parts that have been shipped over, once they make it to the US they're checked over and "fine tuned" at STI by actual Texans in Texas (who just happen to know a thing or two about nice 1911's) before they're shipped out. The Spartan's have no front-strap checkering or STIppling of any kind and no under-cut trigger-guard.

Now you'd think the Trojans would be put together much better or be tighter, but from what people report, that doesn't seem to be necessarily the case, what often gets lost in the discussion is that the Spartans get put together by RIA's top 'smiths and they consider building the Spartans for STI to be a bit more "special"... so yeah, the labor is cheaper and in-turn the gun is cheaper, but it's still built to a really high standard by quality people who know what they're doing (I mean when's the last time you've heard anything other than praise for the inexpensive RIA's?).

They both come with the same crappy too-wide front-sight that everyone seems to change out and they both seem to have plenty have happy owners, so which is right for you is your call... some guys think the made in the USA Trojan is worth the extra cash, and others are fine with the Spartan.

First I lean toward STI. I shoot a ton of rounds per year through them and own 5 right now. I've owned about every make and model in the past including colts, springers, Ed Browns, Nighthawks and Kimbers. For the money STI is the way to go, and I love the folks over there.

However, if you are talking about a 45, I believe that a non ramped barrel is better for that fat round. When that frame ramp is cut right and the barrel is throated correctly a traditional non ramped barrel is in my opinion a better option than a ramped barrel for multiple bullet noses. I don't believe STI offers a non ramped option in 45. Any other caliber a ramped barrel is the way to go. Will a ramped barrel run in 45? Absolutely, but I believe the fit to the frame has to be near perfect and sometimes need tweaking even when in spec. That said, I would not be afraid to buy anything from STI since they will take care of their customers. FWIW

Guest tnxdshooter
I am torn between 1911's.

I really like what I hear about the Trojan 1911, but I also would like to get a Colt Gold Cup. Are Colts getting better. I have not shot many. I have read that they are loose and can not compete with the STI. Anyone have any experience with both?

Thanks

I bought a taurus PT 1911 as it had the most features for the cheapest price. It is made on old springfield machines at their plant in brazil. I bought novak night sights and them installed and bought some wilson combat parts the only wilson part I have on there right now is the tactical ambit safety as it is shorter and will allow me to later on get crimson trace burlwood grips for it without having to modify the grips. Right now I have woodgrips.com cocobolo double diamond checkered grips on it. I love the grips. I have a pearce insert under the grips. Never had a problem of any kind with it. Below are pics of it before I installed the tactical safety. I can find the ones with the tactical safety later.

IMG00003-20100502-1516.jpg

IMG00001-20100502-1512.jpg

IMG00002-20100502-1514.jpg