Survival/emergency kit - what do you carry?

Guest bnoland

Guest bnoland

I am sure some of you carry a survival/emergency kit with you. Obviously depending on your personality, location and job will make what you carry with you different from the next person. I am getting a list together to build a (it will actually consist of two bags for me, a quick response and a more detailed kit) survival/ emergency kit.

This should cover most of mine but obviously things could be added or taken away depending on the situation and new knowledge.

First is a bag

- 511 Bailout bag

- 511 Rush 1 day backpack

Equipment for my bailout bag

- water bottle or two

- Glock 23 in blackhawk level 2 holster with speed clip mounted inside the bag

- 511 double mag pouch mounted inside/2 extra full mags

- 511 cuff pouch/ASP cuffs

- pepper spray

- small first aid kit

- tactical gloves

- rubber medical gloves

- Small tactical flashlight/weapon light

-SOG multitool

I think that about covers that bag

Equipment for backpack

- a couple more water bottles

- energy bar/other food sources

- large medical kit with bandages, quick clot, etc

- large rechargeable flashlight

- more cuffs/flex cuffs

- spare batteries

- road flairs

- emergency blanket

I also always keep a knife on me.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I carry a medium sized pouch that fits on a belt in my car for day to day and I carry my day bag with me when I go out of town.

-Pouch: 15-20' of paracord, flashlight, small first aid kit, mini-strobe light, folding blade, emergency poncho, matches, wet wipes, Swiss army knife, one large/industrial ziptie, 2 emergency water packages and a pair of gloves.

-Daypack: +60' of paracord, wire, 6ft of duct tape, whistle, shake light, one chemlight, matches, lighter, flint/steel, small container of fire gel, cotton balls with vasoline, small fishing kit in an altoid tin, water tablets, emergency blanket (all in a waterproof bag), first aid kit, compass, multi-tool gloves, energy bars, filled 2-3L water bladder, 2 carabiners and my knife. And depending on the trip, a small pair of binoculars and pistol.

I have a medium sized civilian style backpack in a subdued color. Inside it I have a USGI poncho, a heavy duty survival/space blanket, a small green/brown tarp, two pairs of socks, a pair of gloves, a USGI canteen and canteen cup, a decent first aid kit, a bag of dry cotton balls, a bag of vasoline coated cotton balls, an Aquamira filter straw, one freeze dried meal, a Woodmans Pal, waterproof matches in a water tight container, a can opener, a small serrated blade pocket knife, a small flashlight, a Swedish firesteel, a compass, a Tennessee Atlas and Gazetteer, 100 feet of para cord, a small fishing kit, a pair of cheap binoculars, a Gerber multi tool, a small AM/FM/SW radio, and some plastic eating utensils.

That is what rides in my service vehicle with me everyday. I also have a Dead On Tools Annihilator wrecking bar that I keep stuck in the drivers side door that I would pull out if I had to ditch the vehicle. I also usually have my Taurus PT709 with a spare magazine as well.

I am sure some of you carry a survival/emergency kit with you. Obviously depending on your personality, location and job will make what you carry with you different from the next person. I am getting a list together to build a (it will actually consist of two bags for me, a quick response and a more detailed kit) survival/ emergency kit.

This should cover most of mine but obviously things could be added or taken away depending on the situation and new knowledge.

First is a bag

- 511 Bailout bag

- water bottle or two

- pepper spray

- small first aid kit

- tactical gloves

- rubber medical gloves

-SOG multitool

Equipment for backpack

- more cuffs/flex cuffs

- spare batteries

- road flairs

- emergency blanket

Why the handcuffs and "tactical gloves"?

First is a bag

- 511 Bailout bag

- water bottle or two

- pepper spray

- small first aid kit

- tactical gloves

- rubber medical gloves

-SOG multitool

Equipment for backpack

- more cuffs/flex cuffs

- spare batteries

- road flairs

- emergency blanket

Why the handcuffs and "tactical gloves"?

Guest bnoland
Ah I got it now he's MPD. Probably talking about his patrol bag backup. I have similar in my work bag. Not my survival kit though.

Correct. My larger bag will be carried in my patrol car with me but the smaller one is more for keeping while I am off. It can function as another option to con seal carry with since it looks like a messenger bag. I just ordered it yesterday so I am hoping it looks as low key as I think it will. If not 511 makes another mag similar but looks just like a messenger bag, I didn't like the holster mounting option for it as well though.

You must have had a bad experience with asp cuffs. I have been using them for two years now and love them. Smooth operation, the plastic exterior make for very quiet deployment. I actually have several pairs, my department issue cuffs actually in my bag as a backup set.

Edited by bnoland
Guest Austin454

Like bnoland, I favor a multiple bag system myself. I keep a small get me home backpack in the trunk of my car, and a 72 hour-indefinite survival bag at home.

I chose to use a CFP 90 ranger pack for my 72 hour bag and its attachable day pack for my get me home. I may change my get me home bag in the future because I don't like the fact that it is camouflaged. In a small scale emergency that has me on foot. I really don't want to stand out. So a backpack cover or a simple black backpack may be wiser.

My get me home bag has just the basics:

Change of clothes and an old pair of running shoes

Couple hundred dollars cash in case the power is out/ credit card machines aren't working.

Multi-tool and a small sheath knife.

Emergency Poncho

2 liters Bottled water

Some cliff bars and a can of baked beans.

Flashlight.

batteries

Battery powered cell phone charger.

Waterproof matches, cotton balls soaked in vaseline in a pill bottle, Lighter, And some more aggressive fire starting materials. I don't want to get too explicit about those because of all the LEO members here.

In a ditch my car emergency I would also raid my cars first aid kit and take a few of the tools from my mobile toolkit.

My 72 hour Get out of Dodge bag has a bit more.

Bible

Backpack and an emergency bivy.

6 x 10 tarp.

Hatchet and cable saw

3 days of MRE's

Field survival handbook.

Rope

Duct tape

Camping cook set.

Water purifier.

Canteens

Ruger 10/22 and plenty of ammo

More clothes.

Hiking Boots.

More ways to start fires.

Hunting knife

fishing kit

Local Terrain and street maps.

Some cash and silver.

Plus a more extensive first aid kit.

You must have had a bad experience with asp cuffs. I have been using them for two years now and love them. Smooth operation, the plastic exterior make for very quiet deployment. I actually have several pairs, my department issue cuffs actually in my bag as a backup set.

Yup I did. In a struggle the metal will slide completely over the plastic trying to get them on. Luckily I noticed it and got them locked properly. Since then I only keep them as a reserve in my bag. Found out it's happened to alot of people since that. Just one of those things that shook my confidence. Sad too because I love the dual side keyholes and flat bow on them. :up:

Guest bnoland
Yup I did. In a struggle the metal will slide completely over the plastic trying to get them on. Luckily I noticed it and got them locked properly. Since then I only keep them as a reserve in my bag. Found out it's happened to alot of people since that. Just one of those things that shook my confidence. Sad too because I love the dual side keyholes and flat bow on them. :up:

Just tried it with mine, wow. It acually malfunctioned very easily. I love these cuffs too, not to mention I paid a lot for them. Thanks for the info!

Just tried it with mine, wow. It acually malfunctioned very easily. I love these cuffs too, not to mention I paid a lot for them. Thanks for the info!

Lol I know brother, freaky ain't it? Yea I know mine were around 50. I guess more or less I just wouldn't use them on someone that was resisting.

Guest bnoland
Lol I know brother, freaky ain't it? Yea I know mine were around 50. I guess more or less I just wouldn't use them on someone that was resisting.

Yea, $50 a pair is what I paid. I have used them on a resisting suspect before but I had already gotten the cuff closed before he relized I had even gotten them out so I just cranked the wrest and got compliance.

• 3 months later...

I have different levels of protection. At all times, unless I am sleeping or showering, I have my knife in my pocket. On a piece of cordage I have a fire steel and striker, small can opener, and bottle opener. I also carry a lighter. I can make or acquire everything else. In my vehicle I have my primary BOB. In my house I have a more robust BOB. In my shed I have a Bugout tough box. At my bugout location I have shelves and boxes of materials. I carry the basics and then if I have more time then I acquire the other pieces of equipment.

Don't try to replace knowledge with equipment. Use equipment to supplement your knowledge.

I hope this helps.