1911? :)

Guest carter

looking to get my first 1911 :D was looking hard at the Rock Island tactical compact...what do you guys think about this firearm? to me for the money it is the best option with the MOST options. looks good...and i like the fact it has ambidex safty... do yall think thats a good or bad thing...never owned or even held one...but RIA tactical compact is on my next to get list VERY soon i think... can get one around 470 OTD...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The price is nice.

What do you want to do with it, and why do you want an ambi safety release? What other features does a 1911 even have that you liked the look of?

I have heard good things about RI, but those good things are always followed with a "For the price". IE, you hear "its a good gun for the money". Which implies that, had the buyer had more money, they would have gotten something else, but they feel they got their money's worth from this choice. Seeing this theme makes me think that you could do better if you got a "good used" gun or saved up for a higher quality new one instead, while buying the RI now would get you, well, your money's worth.

The price is nice.

What do you want to do with it, and why do you want an ambi safety release? What other features does a 1911 even have that you liked the look of?

I have heard good things about RI, but those good things are always followed with a "For the price". IE, you hear "its a good gun for the money". Which implies that, had the buyer had more money, they would have gotten something else, but they feel they got their money's worth from this choice. Seeing this theme makes me think that you could do better if you got a "good used" gun or saved up for a higher quality new one instead, while buying the RI now would get you, well, your money's worth.

true...but i have been reading up and for the compact...i think they all have there issues... one was a kimber... i do like the para and buds has a lot of used ones right now... but i dont think i will be able to beat the price of the RI, plus i can add tons of stuff on it...its going to be a play gun... my carry piece is a glock 19, i might carry the 1911 once i have trained with it and know its reliable, i do like the idea of cocked & locked :D as i just took care of a guy that shot him self in the leg with a glock

those are alright...but more looking for the compact (officer) frame

To each their own, but I have owned over 13 1911's and if I had it to do all over again I would buy a full size Government model 1911 as my first. Why? because it has the true specs of how the pistol was designed with the full length of travel for the slide to cycle you will have less chances of anything going wrong. With an officer sized frame you are adding a risk that it will cycle properly 100% all of the time due to the slide travel being reduced. Also the only valid reason to get an ambi safety on any 1911 is if you are left handed

Trust me when I say that a full size 1911 can be concealed just as comfortably and effectively as a compact if that is your concern

Good luck with whatever you choose

The price is nice.

I agree with your for the money comment, but in the price range that the OP wants to spend on a 1911, that my friend is all you will get the best that you can for the money :D

... but i dont think i will be able to beat the price of the RI, plus i can add tons of stuff on it...its going to be a play gun... my carry piece is a glock 19...

It seems you have pretty much made up your mind. Buy it, enjoy it, and shoot the crap out of it. Don't know if I would spend a bunch of money buying "tons of stuff" to put on it. IMHO, all you need on a 1911 is a good set of sights.

If I was in the market for a cheaper 1911, I would be looking at a used Springfield or Kimber. I would also go with a fullsize 1911 as per Willis68's suggestion. However, just to be forthcoming, my EDC is a Nighthawk T3. All my other 1911s are fullsize.

Yea I would love one of the 1911 warthogs, the compact one (3 inch barrel, etc). Still might get me one of those. The nighthawg looks cooler but I prefer the extra weight in the stainless version. Its a definate "if I had extra cash" gun, which means "probably next year or so".

If its a play gun, go play, its a good price and a solid piece. You can get the full sized RI GI version for about the same price, if you change your mind and want a big one. I prefer a compact myself, if I want to shoot a foot long 3 pound gun, Ill bust out my desert eagle or borrow my wife's 1911.

FWIW, an RIA is just about every bit as good as any other higher dollar 1911 out there when it comes to how it shoots/performs, you always hear the "for the money" tag-line 'cause it pretty much never ceases to amaze, nothing to do with what you get vs. what it cost in any "hey, it was cheap" sort of way.

If your intention is to shoot it and you care more about how good it does that over the other niceties like how sharp the checkering is, how much craftsmanship went into putting it together, or who's name is on the slide than it is a rock solid option at any price (no pun intended).

Many of us guys who shoot IDPA or IPSC matches often are quite used to seeing the RIA's spank much more expensive guns on a pretty regular basis (though it's almost always the Indian not the arrow), there's even a few guys out there who are on benos' forum that hit most of the bigger matches using Wilson's and Nighthawks as back up's to their RIA's...

You will want better sights, you will want a real beaver-tail safety, etc., so buying a stripped-down mil-spec GI (made in USA or not) for the same money that would get you an RIA Tactical would be a mistake IMHO.

I'd avoid short-1911's, read this: http://grayguns.com/physics-and-short-45-caliber-pistols-a-discussion/

Edited by CK1
FWIW, an RIA is just about every bit as good as any other higher dollar 1911 out there when it comes to how it shoots/performs, you always hear the "for the money" tag-line 'cause it pretty much never ceases to amaze, nothing to do with what you get vs. what it cost in any "hey, it was cheap" sort of way.

If your intention is to shoot it and you care more about how good it does that over the other niceties like how sharp the checkering is, how much craftsmanship went into putting it together, or who's name is on the slide than it is a rock solid option at any price (no pun intended).

Many of us guys who shoot IDPA or IPSC matches often are quite used to seeing the RIA's spank much more expensive guns on a pretty regular basis (though it's almost always the Indian not the arrow), there's even a few guys out there who are on benos' forum that hit most of the bigger matches using Wilson's and Nighthawks as back up's to their RIA's...

You will want better sights, you will want a real beaver-tail safety, etc., so buying a stripped-down mil-spec GI (made in USA or not) for the same money that would get you an RIA Tactical would be a mistake IMHO.

I'd avoid short-1911's, read this: Physics and short .45 caliber pistols – a discussion : Grayguns by Bruce Gray

While there is nothing wrong with the RIA, please send me a link for anything where someone is using Wilson combat or Nighthawk custom as a back up to a RIA IDPA gun, or where the RIA spanks them in a competition I am not a professional shooter by any stretch of the imagination like yourself but I have yet to ever see this or hear of it in my life

If you are comparing a Wilson CQB to a Wilson CQB Supergrade, then yes, I would agree with your statement. I do not think that a top of the line Wilson (or other custom shop) will perform much better than one of their regular custom models. Does that mean they aren't worth the extra price? No, that is only relevant to that individual.

Now, if you are comparing a custom 1911 to a RIA or other cheaper priced 1911, then I can't agree at all with your statement. I owned a couple of Kimbers which are very fine 1911s. I never had the first problem with them. Both Kimbers are moderately priced 1911s (~$1000 - 1100). When I bought my first Wilson and took it to the range, I could immediately tell the difference from the first shot. The Wilson blew away the Kimber from every aspect. There was absolutely no comparison. Was it worth the extra money (an extra $1000 over the Kimber)? At first I didn't think so, but the more I shot the Wilson and thought about which gun I would rather have in a life-threatening situation, I changed my mind.

As far as buying a RIA, I wouldn't recommend against it. However, there would be other stuff as I mentioned earlier that I would prefer. Is it as good as a custom 1911? Absolutely not, but that doesn't make it crap either. As stated earlier, buy it and enjoy shooting it. From what I have read on this forum, several people have them and enjoy them immensely.

looking to get my first 1911 :) was looking hard at the Rock Island tactical compact...what do you guys think about this firearm? to me for the money it is the best option with the MOST options. looks good...and i like the fact it has ambidex safty... do yall think thats a good or bad thing...never owned or even held one...but RIA tactical compact is on my next to get list VERY soon i think... can get one around 470 OTD...

If you really want (as it sounds like) an RI Tactical Compact you might want to take a look at this ad: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/firearms-classifieds/49839-rock-island-tactical-model-1911-a.html :)

While there is nothing wrong with the RIA, please send me a link for anything where someone is using Wilson combat or Nighthawk custom as a back up to a RIA IDPA gun, or where the RIA spanks them in a competition I am not a professional shooter by any stretch of the imagination like yourself but I have yet to ever see this or hear of it in my life

Here's a link of very good IPSC/USPSA shooter who's Wilson CQB is the back-up to his RIA with him stating so:STI Spartan vs RIA Tactical - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Since neither of us is a professional shooter (which I'm sure you know), it seems you ARE only just an a**hole.

I do enjoy the weekly 1911 measuring contest. :)

exactly.

- Man-on-man steel match in Dickson this Saturday, I'd be happy to put my $500 Glock up against willis68's finest 1911...

Edited by CK1

Glock vs. 1911, 9mm vs. .45, etc. same-old-same-old, probably always will be, so no big deal...

What I don't get is that every single time I make a post that amounts to saying "it's the indian not the arrow" or give my opinion that there are some things handgun-related that can't be quantified or measured by price or name-hype, there's always someone who gets their feelings hurt...

The OP asked if the RIA is a good deal: it is, no need going into a tirade about what's better do to where it's made or what name is on it. No matter what one spends or how hard they avoid MIM parts like they're kryptonite, a nicer gun will not turn anyone into a better shooter, only practice will.

Here's a link of very good IPSC/USPSA shooter who's Wilson CQB is the back-up to his RIA with him stating so:STI Spartan vs RIA Tactical - Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Since neither of us is a professional shooter (which I'm sure you know), it seems you ARE only just an a**hole.

exactly.

- Man-on-man steel match in Dickson this Saturday, I'd be happy to put my $500 Glock up against willis68's finest 1911...

I know many of those guys on that thread. I've shot with Airedale (Dave) the guy with the RIA and if the gun is like most factory guns used in USPSA, I doubt there is much left on that gun that you can justify calling it an RIA anymore but I don't know for sure. He is more of a revolver shooter as well if memory serves (and I think C or B class maybe). Besides, as long as the gun runs and is accurate enough to hit where it is suppose to it matters little what name is on it. Now weather the gun will beat itself to death in 50K or not is another question and is largely dependent on if the gun was reworked and by who. Most factory guns that run great (or not) out of the box are fitted to poorly to get long enough life out of the gun for folks who shoot 30+ thousand a year. And of course the cheaper parts (MIM) adds to the problem.

We need to get together over some beers and talk 1911s sometime for those here that are interested. There is much to say about all of this, but I don't have the strength to write it. :)

Edited by timcalhoun