Ever neglected or forgot about a pistol only to find out later......

Guest Xring04

Guest Xring04

....You really like it?

After much neglect, I find that I really like my Ruger P89. I owned one years ago and never shot it much either, and sold it off.

I bought this p89 some time back for the heady sum of 225 dollars. I took it home,ran the full mag of ammo it came with through it, and abandoned it in the safe.

Fast forward to today and I was looking for some documents I needed when I spied the neglected pistol.

I thought to myself, "I really need to shot this gun", so I snagged a box of 9mm and headed out the door. Stepping outside I found the weather not to be too favorable for shooting, cold and raining. I decided against setting up proper targets and decided to use my "reactive targets". To clarify my reactive targets are a couple of old empty freon jugs, set out at around 110 yards. (They are about the same size as a 20lb propane bottle.)

I loaded the mags and proceeded to fire. Bang...clang bang...clang bang...clang and so it went for the rest of the mag save a miss or two.

Back to the garage to snag a few proper targets and some more ammo.

Needless to say the pistol functioned just fine and I was very surprised at just how pleasurable the gun was to fire. Accuracy was on par with every Glock or Sig I have ever shot, and the heavy pistol made for fast follow up shots. Standing in the rain, both me and the pistol soaked, I found I really like this homely workhorse of a handgun.

I'm debating on finding a set of night sights and letting the P89 earn it's keep as my nightstand gun.

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4202.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

The Ruger P series is just one of those guns that may look and feel like a brick, but they go bang every time. I had a P345, which was an excellent shooter.

I have an old P85 MKII that I really like shooting. I didn't like it at first but decided to try a Hogue grip (which I see you have too) and that really transformed it. It's got eleventygillion rounds through it, gets properly cleaned maybe once a year, runs like a top and is plenty accurate.

Nothing wrong with the p series never owned one but use to set on the tailgate of my truck with my ex wifes brother and shoot 300 rds or so through his. I miss my brother in law and his p89. Later AL

I have a P90TH I bought new at one of the gun shows at the fairgrounds back Dec. 2001. It is a great .45 ACP. I bought my second Ruger in 2005. A P89. I will keep both of them. No complaints about either one of them. But I want to but a smaller handgun to carry. Been thinking about a Ruger SR9c. But Ruger had so much trouble with the SR9 when it first came out. Don't know what I will buy. gearyr

Guest yzfMrLee

I used to own a p95. Sold it to a friend cheap just so he could afford a handgun. I don't regret selling it to help out a friend, but every time I see one for sale it kinda temps me. I honestly don't think there's a better DEAL out there than the p series. Lotta gun for the money.

Guest Xring04

Never happened before, but being that the target is down in a valley, and considering how much energy has been lost due to the impact, and the amount of land I live on, I can live with the small risk.

Guest Archminister01

My first handgun was a Ruger KP90. I loved that gun and it was as accurate as any that I have been fortunate enough to shoot since. I carried it as a duty weapon for almost 3 years. The P series are workhorses and will never let you down.

I have a Colt Combat Elite that i bought in the 90s. Shot it a few times a year until a few years ago. Now there are two safes filled with guns and ammo and I try to shoot several times a month. I added a second reloader about a year and half ago for those weekends i can't get to the range. ten years ago I'd never thought I would become a gun nut. ;)

Guest Sgt. Joe
I have a P90TH I bought new at one of the gun shows at the fairgrounds back Dec. 2001. It is a great .45 ACP. I bought my second Ruger in 2005. A P89. I will keep both of them. No complaints about either one of them. But I want to but a smaller handgun to carry. Been thinking about a Ruger SR9c. But Ruger had so much trouble with the SR9 when it first came out. Don't know what I will buy. gearyr

I am pretty sure Ruger has worked the bugs out of the original SR9's.

I have a newer SR9 and the "c" version and love them both. I have not heard any complaints from anyone about the "c" at all. FWIW.

I passed on an older P-89 (may have been a 99) a few months ago that was beaten and battered and scratched all to heck, I would hate to have seen the insides. But even so for 150 bucks I have been kicking myself since. It was an all black version and sure was ugly but I sure would have grabbed it up at more than that 150 asking price if it had looked anything like the one in the OP.

That one is a sharp looking shooter and everything I ever have heard about the P-99 (89's) is that they never stop going bang.

I still wish I had grabbed that old ugly one.

The story goes that when Bill Ruger was designing and testing the P85 for the military trials that one test was to thread the barrel at the muzzle, screw a plug into it, and then fire it in a ransom rest in a safe room. All it did was break the extractor, so Bill beefed up those extractors. I actually read this report in Guns and Ammo back in the mid 80's so it is not hear say, they printed this as a factual event witnessed by the writer. I have owned and shot many of the p-series. Using Ruger mags I have never had a problem and I would rate their reliability right up there with the Glocks and Sigs. Only complaint I have with them, or Ruger handguns in general, is they should be sold by the pound.