Took One Of My Sisters Shooting Last Night

Guest TNDixieGirl

Guest TNDixieGirl

Last Sunday I made the big decision to quit smoking (motivated by a sister getting a bad health report card). Well, let me tell ya it's hard to stay busy enough to keep your mind off it.

So last night about 7 PM I was fidgeting around wondering what I could do other than go outside and have a smoke, so I called up the sister that lives locally. "Wanna go shooting with me?" She was all for it. She's trying to quit smoking too and needed a diversion as well

After we put a few 100 rounds through both my guns (she used the .22 and I used the 9mm), she's now eager and looking forward to getting her carry permit. Chalk up another one to our side! icon_biggrin.gif

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TNDixieGirl

I smoked my last one at 9PM last Sunday night. I've almost made it an entire week.

I used to travel about 9 miles to get to the nearest range. But one recently opened about 5.5 miles from me and it's great!

Guest EasilyObsessed

Best of luck with quitting smoking.

I have quit twice for a few months but then a "life event" always seems to follow.... Maybe the solution is to shoot more :D

Guest TNDixieGirl

I don't know which is worse. Inhaling the cig smoke, or leaving the range breathing gunpowder. Man, I swear I was tasting gun powder when I left last night. My sister said she wasn't, but I've never had that awful taste in my mouth before when I leave a range.

So far, the only time I really "crave" a smoke, is right after eating. Otherwise, it's not so bad and I only think of it if I'm bored.

Guest bkelm18

Supposedly when you stop smoking, your taste buds become more sensitive. So it could be that you've always "tasted" the gun powder but your buds just weren't sensitive enough to actually sense it.

TNDixieGirl, congrats on your decision to stop and good luck in kicking the habit.

I stopped smoking on November 14th of 2006. I have been smoke free for one year and and two and a half months. I still crave them at times but it is now much easier to get my mind off of them and believe me the money you save will make it worth it, not counting your health and all other aspects.

My hardest times was after eating, when on the computer, driving, getting up in the morning, arguing (LOL) ok you get the point........... I smoked about 2 packs a day. I had stopped once before for about 4 months and started back for another 2 years but when I finally decided I was going to stop for good I did! It takes determination and it is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. But it can be done. So good luck, I hope you can kick it! Just think, if you succeed you can go get you a nice new gun for the money you would save on cigs!

Guest Boomhower

I started smoking on a daily basis when I was a Freshman in Highschool (flirted with an occasional smoke in the 7th and 8th grades).....Tried to quit a few times and was finally able to stop smoking but only by switching to dip when I was 22. Now that I've turned 26, I've been able to quit dipping during the past few months. My father gave me some Chantix, and I tried it for 2 weeks, but gave up on it. My cravings were constant, so I quit taking it. It actually help me since I wasn't taking a pill twice a day to remind me that I was trying to quit. The only time that I really crave a dip, is on those long drives to see family.

Guest TNDixieGirl

I think it's been easier for me because no one is allowed to smoke in my car (he smokes in his truck though) and no one is allowed to smoke in our house. I'm used to not smoking when driving, or when inside on the phone or computer. But I'm also used to firing one up as soon as I arrive at my destination. Like my typical morning routine at the office is go inside, put my things away, get my glass of ice and Coke and then go outside for a smoke. Now I do all that, but after the Coke I'm like "what do I do now?". Not that I'm craving the cig, but it's like I'm lost as far as my time filler. Someone told me I had a cigarette habit, not an addiction. Maybe they're right, but I sure do have a lot of time to fill now.

http://www.chantix.com/content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp?setShowOn=../content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp&setShowHighlightOn=../content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp

one of the guys at work went and got this stuff. its supposed to be the best out there for people who want to quit. his wife got on it too. she quit in 6 weeks, and has been clean for 3 weeks now. he stopped this past monday afternoon.

it works by blocking the receptors in the brain that "get off" on nicotine. im calling my doctor when i get my tax refund and im going to give it a shot too. i personally know 3 people who have been prescribed chantix and have quit.

the downside to this stuff is about 150 bucks a month and most insurance policies do not cover it, but hell, the average smoker spends 3 bucks a day, 30 days a month, so that is a pretty even trade. if the medication is as great as it seems, then it does not matter what price it is. the health reward for quitting is priceless.

Guest strelcevina
http://www.chantix.com/content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp?setShowOn=../content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp&setShowHighlightOn=../content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp

one of the guys at work went and got this stuff. its supposed to be the best out there for people who want to quit. his wife got on it too. she quit in 6 weeks, and has been clean for 3 weeks now. he stopped this past monday afternoon.

it works by blocking the receptors in the brain that "get off" on nicotine. im calling my doctor when i get my tax refund and im going to give it a shot too. i personally know 3 people who have been prescribed chantix and have quit.

the downside to this stuff is about 150 bucks a month and most insurance policies do not cover it, but hell, the average smoker spends 3 bucks a day, 30 days a month, so that is a pretty even trade. if the medication is as great as it seems, then it does not matter what price it is. the health reward for quitting is priceless.

i tried that 3-4 months ago and didn't help at all :cool:

Guest nitrous_mike

If you can quit for a day you can quit for a life time, I quit smoking bout 5 years ago after smoking and dipping for about 10 years ( I know thats not as long as some of you but it was bad enough ). As you said it is just part of your typical routine, once you find a way change your normal routine it can be alot more easy to quit.

I quit when I found out I was pregnant in 2004. I still crave a cigarette every morning when I'm drinking my coffee....then I think about my dad. He was a coal miner and a lifetime smoker and passed away from copd. He was on oxygen for several years before he passed and was basically confined to the house for his last two years. My dad was an avid outdoorsman all his life and it pains me to this day to think about how he was stuck in the house those last years. COPD is a terrible thing to die from. Cigarettes are just not worth the price they'll cost you....now and epecially later in life. Don't give in to your cravings Dixie :D it gets easier with time ;)

Guest ETS_Inc

I had my first cigarette in 1982, when I was 11. From then until high school, I smoked frequently, but not habitually. Once I got into high school, though, it was game on. Then, my senior year, I was on the swim team and had signed my contract with the Army, so I decided to quit cold turkey. That lasted 13 months, until I was on my 24-hour family day pass between Basic and AIT. That was November 1989. After that, I was a pack a day smoker.

Even after I was diagnosed with cancer, I still smoked a pack a day. I smoked DURING chemo. I rationalized it by saying "Heck, I'm getting chemo, which kills cancer. How the heck am I supposed to get more cancer?" After chemo, my first wife threatened to leave me if I didn't quit. So, I quit. For a month and a half. Being couped up in the house was tough, and we were arguing quite a bit at the time, so I went back to my old-time stress relief - The Marlboro Man. She left me about a year later; not because of the smoking, although that might have been a contributing factor.

Shortly after finishing chemo, I developed exercise-induced asthma. Did I quit smoking? No, I still smoked a pack of Cowboy Killers a day. So what if I couldn't run a mile without getting winded, I needed my nicotine fix.

Then, I met my second wife, who didn't smoke. She didn't say much, but I knew the smell of the cigarettes and the detrimental health effects bothered her, so I decided to quit. I made it a month and a half. I was deploying to Kosovo, and en route, we stopped in Shannon, Ireland for a few hours. I'll admit to being a bit nervous, this was February 2000, and Kosovo was still a bit wild. I bummed a smoke from a buddy and went back to the habit.

Then, on July 7th, 2000, while still in Kosovo, I decided to quit once and for all. I had told my girlfriend (2nd wife) that I was going to quit, and that was a promise I intended to keep. I still haven't had a cigarette since then. I do smoke an occasional cigar, but I'm culling that number as well.

Good luck on quitting. It's not the easiest thing to do. I've tried several times, and even after 7 1/2 years, I still get the urge. You just have to put your mind to it. Of course, the rising cost of cigarettes helps keep my habit suppressed.

Guest TNDixieGirl
Of course, the rising cost of cigarettes helps keep my habit suppressed.

Wow, you were a stubborn guy huh? :)

The money I save by not buying a carton every two weeks will buy me a nice gun. ;) Great motivation in my book.

Its about $4 a pack now. A little less if you buy them by the carton.

Wow, 50 rounds in a box, a box of .40 is $12, 12/4 = 3, 50/3=16.6667

So,

16.6667 rounds vs. a pack of cigs:D