First Aid Supply List

Guest Lester Weevils

Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno much about first aid. Have read about it some over the years. Worked in medical facilities a long time ago. But am dumb on the topic.

Had put together some first aid kits for me & wife's car and home and camping a few years ago, but got around to thinking about it again to put a new first aid kit in a new truck.

There is what appears to be a very good small packable book on first aid-- "A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness & Travel Medicine" by Eric A. Weiss, M.D. Maybe it is BS, but he has me fooled anyway. :)

Years ago I got and read that book and was impressed with the equipment list in the back of the book.

There is a downloadable pdf of that book here--

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/documents/Comprehenive%20Guide%20Wilderness.pdf

The equipment list is from pages 184 thru 198. Some of the items are simple like bandaids and safety pins, and then it gets progressively more elaborate.

When putting together kits last time, had bought an "army surplus" kit from Cheaper Than Dirt or Sportsmans Guide, and was a little disappointed with a dried-out dusty assortment of "cheap as dirt" bandages bundled into a kit with a nylon bag. Basic frugality judged it as over-priced. But the kits do save labor making a big list then buying all the individual items and stuffing them into a bag. A pre-made first aid kit seems at least a good educational purchase for "monkey see, monkey do".

It is hard to figure if one could save money putting together a kit from a huge list of walmart and drugstore supplies. Probably one could save money if one's time is considered worthless.

Making a home or short distance hiking kit is a little easier, because the reasonable expectable risk is easier assessed, and professional help is not too far away. With a hiking kit, there is a weight and space limit to keep one sane. You can't carry an emergency room and pharmacy on yer back for a day hike.

The specs for a truck kit get more nebulous. Weight and space is not as critical in a truck. Maybe you get stuck in an unusual emergency with a long delay until professional help can arrive, or there happens to be multiple injured people in a pileup out on the interstate between cities. Or a gun accident or axe accident out in the woods.

There has to be prioritization of what to keep in a truck bag. Even in the truck you can't carry an emergency room and pharmacy.

Spent way too much time comparing lists of bandages and such in various kits on Campmor, Cheaper Than Dirt, Cabelas, etc. Finally decided on an Adventure Medical Kits "Field Trauma Kit" ordered from campmor.com, as a starter kit to be enhanced. That "Field Trauma Kit" arrived. It is surprisingly small and has a bunch of stuff in it for starters.

I figure at home I'll be near the truck, so some of the "more elaborate" first aid items would be as easily stored in the truck as in the bathroom closet. Making them do double duty in case they were needed in some unfortunate happening on the road or out in the woods.

Past the basics, what items do ya'll consider most important?

Edited by Lester Weevils
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last couple of shows in K-town have had some fairly nice kits you could purchase already in carry pouches. I just had my wife put us a few together, I figured a twenty year RNC who has done time in all departments inc. the ER would have a good idear as to what we could carry and need. Now to get up the nerve to let her near me with a razor on a stick or a needle. heh heh

Consider adding one of these to your kits. It Measures roughly .75" x 3.5" x 5". I also highly recommend taking their Wilderness First Responder course or at least their Wilderness First Aid course. Just a bit of advice, organization in an emergency is your best friend. Lots of kits just have all of their contents tossed into one compartment. Take the time to organize your kits(even small ones) into individual groupings. I like to use Ziploc Freezer bags and include a contents sheet with each one. This lets you see what is in each bag without having to open it. As items are used(after finishing treatment) they are marked off the contents sheet. This makes it easy to replenish later withou missing anything. On the other side of the bag I use different color slips of paper to make the individual bags easy to identify with a quick glance.

example:

White= minor boo-boo's (alcohol prep pads, triple antibiotic, band-aids, moleskin, etc.)

Pink= more in-depth boo-boo's (iodine prep pads, 2x2 gauze,4x4 gauze, burn-gel, xeroform, benzoin tincture, steri-strips, coban, etc.)

Red= major bleed (abd pads, kerlix rolls, Isreali dressings, CAT tk, tk4, etc)

Blue= airway (CPR barrier/mask, OPAs, NPAs, 1/2" clothe tape, etc)

Green= meds

loose items would be SAM and/or STAT splints, ACE wraps, triangle bandages, 60cc catheter tip syringe, wildmed field guide, sharpie, emt shears, thermometer, etc.

I'll agree with the above in that organization is key. Knowing what you have and how to use it is probably more important that having every possible doodad.

Remember this little oops? An excellent example IMO.

THIS. In such a big way.

You can buy kits from Police Gear - Police Equipment - Police Uniforms - Public Safety Equipment: Galls that have everything a fully trained EMT would need, if you don't know how to use it you'll probably kill someone. Buy a pre-made kit with what you know how to use and take a CPR class and read up on basic first aid. The biggest thing most people are going to deal with is keeping yourself or someone alive until you can get them to the hospital. That is basically going to go into thing like bandages, gauze, splints, etc.

Guest Lester Weevils

Yes that "Had to use my truck med bag" thread contains excellent info. Thought about tacking questions to the end of that thread, but did a search of the "survival skills" section and did not find a thread about First Aid Kit contents. So thought maybe a discrete thread would be good for reference.

The suggested web sites look good, thanks!

Wilderness Medical Associates - Wilderness EMT - Outdoor First Aid - Search and Rescue Training

Wilderness First Responder, Wilderness EMT, WALS || Medical Officer, Ltd. || 970.275.4999

Emergency Medical Supplies - First Aid Kits - First Aid Supplies - Medical Kits - Latex Gloves : Galls

I took some cpr and other work-related courses many years ago but do not feel especially qualified.

Wife was a real fireball in her younger days. She liked excitement and worked EMT on ambulances responding to car wrecks and such while going to school, then as an RN she worked ICU and Emergency Room.

I would assume at one time she knew quite a lot about it, but she burned out always being around sick people and quit medicine many years ago. Nowadays she pretends to have forgotten most of it. Hopefully if push ever comes to shove she will remember more than she admits.

Basically I try to determine what bad things can happen where I'm going. I have a truck bag and a hiking bag.

Besides the bandage basics I carry the following things when walking the in the mtns.

Pocket mask, CPR.

Quick Clot, deep wounds.

Rope or extra belt, tourniquet.

Duck tape, great for splints,sprains etc. (I have taped several tourist ankles.)

Snake bite kit, bug off etc.

Dunno much about first aid.... am dumb on the topic......Past the basics, what items do ya'll consider most important?

TRAINING

As Jonsaiga says, take a course if you're going to get involved in first aid matters. I am a Certified First Responder, and will complete EMT school in about 8 weeks. I have learned the veracity of the old adage "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing."

At the very minimum, an 8 hour Red Cross CPR & First Aid course. Even better, if you can do it, is a First Responder course. Around 60 hours in Tennessee, and can be found for free from time to time at Fire Departments and EMS agencies.

Your role in a medical emergency will boil down to this - don't make it any worse than you found it and just buy time until advanced help can get to you. It's all about the ABC'S - Airway, Breathing, and Circulation. Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, any variation on this is bad.

TRAINING - You can have a suitcase full of bandages, dressings, meds, airway adjuncts, splints, AED, suction device, etc. but not knowing how to use the stuff makes you just as ineffective as you would be otherwise.