scope for my savage mark II

Guest marican

Guest marican

Does anyone have a recommendation for a scope for my mark II? I've been shooting it with iron sights and plan to continue to do so for awhile. But I'm hoping to step up to optics sometime this summer. I'd like something that fits the gun, but mint be flexable enough that I could fine use for it on a larger caliber rifle later on.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been hunting a new scope for my .22 as well. While these are specific to .22', they're far less expensive than a high powered rifle scope and will work fine inside 200 yds.

Bushnell 22 Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 32mm Multi-X Reticle with Rings Matte - MidwayUSA

RedHead Rimfire Rifle Scopes

Dick's Sporting Goods

Barska Plinker 22 Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 32mm 30-30 Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

No. The rimfire scopes are just more cheaply built, as they don't have to withstand the recoil of a high powered rifle. A regular scope will work fine on your rifle. You won't regret the money spent on a quality scope. If you don't mind buying used, decide what you want and let me know. I have several used scopes I'd let go for a fair price.

Guest GunTroll
Excuse my ignorance, but is a rimfire rifle's trajectory so much different that a scope won't work on both types?

Its in the parallax as I understand it. Nothing to do with trajectory. And either would work on each other (certain scenarios excluded). I have heard RF scopes may have less eye relief. Not sure for I don't own one.

As far as a recomendation.....whats your budget, would have to be the most important question or detail that you left out.

No. The rimfire scopes are just more cheaply built, as they don't have to withstand the recoil of a high powered rifle. A regular scope will work fine on your rifle. You won't regret the money spent on a quality scope. If you don't mind buying used, decide what you want and let me know. I have several used scopes I'd let go for a fair price.

Agreed, high powered rifle scopes are much more robust to handle the recoil and not shift zero. As such, one will work fine on a rimfire, but it's somewhat like using a sledgehammer to drive a nail. Used scopes can be excellent value.

Guest BJEC1248

Sportsmans Warehouse has a BSA .22 scope 3 X 9 for ~$40 that looks nice. it has different turrets to account (allegedly) for the bullet drop of the different weights of .22 bullets (!). That might be a gimmick, but at least it's inexpensive. I put 1 on a 10/22 but haven't shot with it yet.

I tried a cheap Tasco scope & did not like it, even for the $.

A scope is definitely in the "you get what you pay for" category. I have a weaver RV7 rimfire scope on a savage and I have been pleased with it. I like putting a rimfire scope on a .22 because they are usually smaller and lighter and more size appropriate for a .22 rifle. Check the classified for a nice used rimfire scope. Leupold, Nikon, Weaver, Mueller all make nice rimfire scopes. I have also had pretty good luck with the higher priced Bushnells. I haven't had good luck with Tasco, but lots of folks use them and are happy with them.

I put a Pentax Gameseeker on my MarkII. Got it half off from Cameras, Binoculars, Spotting Scopes, Rifle Scopes - Camera Land NY . Check the Demos/Samples section at the top. Their inventory rolls over pretty regularly, so if you're not in a hurry, you'll probably find what you want for a good price if you keep checking in. It looks like their only Pentax in stock now is a fixed 6x. Mines a 4-12x variable. they usually have some nice Nikon stuff too.