What would you change about TN regs?

Guest GunTroll

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

I'd also like the whole anti buckshot thing explained to me. I won't use it for deer and don't think it should be allowed for deer, but why not let it be used for hogs (not a native species) and coyotes (not entirely native to this area as far as I know and understand). Both are nuisance/predatory to other games species and land owners/farmers so why not loosen up the hunting on them by allowing more choices in weapons and ammo? "Ethical, humane killing" is probably what some would say but I's could give a f&%# when it comes to those things. Dead is dead. Don't limit my use due to some other idiots inability to figure out the mystery of range limitations.

Deer regs seem fine to me as they are other than a much need point restriction. To be honest, I haven't hunted deer in this state so perhaps I don't know whats wrong with the ones in place. Turkey regs seem good as are too. I don't think I would like shooting turkeys with rifles. Shotgun just seems real sporting to me.

1) clear, understandable regs

2) night hunt for specific game

3) buckshot use for specific game

4) point restriction for antlered deer. I'd go with something like MO has in place for certain counties. 4 point min on one side. The whole "if its brown its down" is so old school and out dated. I know "you can't eat horns" is the next statement...so....shoot a doe? Its needed anyways.

I'm sure that a coyote will die just fine when shot with a shotgun at reasonable shotgun ranges but in my experience when night hunting it is hard to judge distance and you would end up shooting farther than you think you are. Well then how about a fall rifle turkey season during the deer hunts? My property is covered up with them and I personally would like to hunt them with a claymore and a corn feeder just to get rid of them. I miss the good old days when seeing a turkey was a big deal. Now seeing 20 or 30 is just a common occurance.

With my current set up with a dead coyote and 3 inch T shot I can kill a coyote out to 50 yards.

As for the fall rifle turkey hunt, that would work.

It already is law. Very hard to enforce unless you actually catch the person. It's called "wanton waste law". You can't enforce it. I agree though. I've been to public land (wma's) and found bucks with their antlers and backstraps gone. I'm real sure they weren't never checked in!

It already is law. Very hard to enforce unless you actually catch the person. It's called "wanton waste law". You can't enforce it. I agree though. I've been to public land (wma's) and found bucks with their antlers and backstraps gone. I'm real sure they weren't never checked in!

Yeah I would say the majority of them found like that are illegally taken.

Guest clutepc

This may be minor but from a bow hunter discussion with a TWRA officer I read this year.

I think they need to clear up the types of broadheads that can be used.

I don't remember the whole discussion but 1 rage was allowed the other wasn't and all the G5 Tekan were illegal.

I know there are all types of mechanical broadheads coming out each year so they can't test each one.

Maybe some better examples with the mechanicals to explain what they should and should not do.

Myself I use Muzzy MX-3's but I know some clarification needs to be attempted on this topic.

Here is the link to one of the discussions.

Tennessee Deer Talk: GOT A BROADHEAD QUESTION. FOR TWRA GUYS..

I would like the no bating for deer reg removed. I hunt in NC where it has been legal for years and they have no problems.

I would like to see the license cost come down and make it more simple by doing away with so many permits #??? that is need for this or that. How many other states do you know of that make you purchase a different permit/license for different weapons? You about have to be a lawyer to figure out what license or permit you need.

Guest 22-rimfire

Open up the WMA's to more deer hunting with rifles and eliminate the deadline on WMA permits.

Add handgun hunting to the current black powder season for deer hunting.

I would allow taking a hog year around even in WMA's.

Allow carrying and shooting firearms in some WMA's year around.

Eliminate the National Forest land as a WMA or significantly change the rules. Allow hikers to tote firearms and shoot them safely in the big WMA's.

Return to 357 mag or larger for deer hunting with handguns.

Unfortunately for all of us law abiding hunters, the laws are not likely to change because it makes it harder for the TWRA to make a case against the bad guys. With the TWRA lobbying law makers to keep their job as easy as possible, we are not likely to get far.

Guest GunTroll

Its not about making their jobs easier IMO. It should be to encourage new hunters to take to the sport and re-interest old hunters that have given up because its just too confusing/restrictive.

There are lots of good ideas that have been made here on this thread.

If nothing else the damn rules should be made/written for the "simple" minded hunter to understand. I hate going into the woods with doubt in my mind

( guess I'm calling myself simple minded :up: ).

I hate not seeing the logic with regs/ rules. If there is going to be a restrictive rule put in place to "protect" me or the herd I would like to know the logic behind it. Till then I see most of the restrictive rules as a means to profit off of revenue from fees/fines.

It seems some of the rules are above and beyond in the safety department. If its about liability, put a disclaimer on the license that makes TWRA and other state agencies exempt from liability in either private or public lands. Perhaps there already is, so if so then why the nanny mentality?

The coyote and wild hog regs need to be revised in Tennessee. It would be nice to be able to kill both day and night with centerfire weapons year round on public and private lands. Yes, the game commission will claim that people will be headlighting deer, but it's quite easy to tell the difference between a headlighter killing deer and a coyote or hog hunter. People put too much money in the sport to kill a deer out of season. I hate how you can't kill a hog or coyote during turkey season in the spring with a centerfire rifle or in the fall during bow season. It is a real hassle. If the TWRA wants to control these pests, then TWRA needs to be proactive at doing everything possible at getting hogs and coyotes killed. Centerfire year round and night hunting will help. Hogs are best killed at night. Someone mentioned night vision scopes. That would help too if night hunting is legalized for pests.

Thoughts in order:

1) Primitive equipment seasons would be in order; add 2-3 days on the front of each season. Primitive equipment to be defined as follows: Archery: Longbows with no modern hunting broadheads. Muzzleloader: sidelock rifles or any pistol with fixed sights of .40 caliber or greater. Rifle: the arm itself must be an antique under Federal law and be equipped with iron sights

2) Allow does to be harvested somehow during rifle season

3) Discounted licenses for individuals with valid military ID cards

4) Move minimum caliber for rifle season to .26. Sorry, a 6mm or smaller just isn't enough gun for big game

5) No licensure required for individuals hunting/fishing on their own land; if you're name's on the deed, what you do on YOUR land should be none of TWRA's concern.

Thoughts in order:

1) Primitive equipment seasons would be in order; add 2-3 days on the front of each season. Primitive equipment to be defined as follows: Archery: Longbows with no modern hunting broadheads. Muzzleloader: sidelock rifles or any pistol with fixed sights of .40 caliber or greater. Rifle: the arm itself must be an antique under Federal law and be equipped with iron sights

2) Allow does to be harvested somehow during rifle season.

5) No licensure required for individuals hunting/fishing on their own land; if you're name's on the deed, what you do on YOUR land should be none of TWRA's concern.

I think your ideas are already in place in a few deer units. I'm interested in the broadheads, what would we use?

4) Move minimum caliber for rifle season to .26. Sorry, a 6mm or smaller just isn't enough gun for big game

How about only belted magnums for deer hunting? Do you think the .25/06 is too light for deer? I think one of the best things TWRA ever did was allow .22 centerfires for deer. For one I can legally carry my .223 during deer season when I am really coyote hunting and be legal. I have killed several deer with .223 and have never had one take a step but I have had them run a little ways with a .300 mag (I will admit the shot placement wasn't the same) I have seen LOTS of big hogs killed in Tx with .223. It is plenty enough gun for any whitetail deer. It's WHERE you shoot them not WHAT you shoot them with.

2) Allow does to be harvested somehow during rifle season

In some units you can already do this.

3) Discounted licenses for individuals with valid military ID cards

I agree.

I disagree, I have killed several deer with a 223 and I have never had any problems doing so. It all boils down to shot placement. I have made stupid shots with my 30-06 and never recovered the deer. Yet when I make good ethical shots with a 30-06 or 223 I have no problems killing a deer. Heck 2 years ago I was killing hogs that weighed over 300 pounds with my 223. They were wild domestic hogs that kept getting on my friends property and rooting up his cattle field. I was using an AR and dropping them with one shot.

If you own land all you have to do is fill a form out and they let you hunt on your own property.

My thought's.

Everyone has some good ideas. Lets give good sound reasoning for our changes. Maybe we can take all these ideas and put them on paper and submit them to TWRA when they start seeking hunter input. We just have to give good reason and cause for changes.

Guest adamoxtwo
Military personel with leave papers are listed as license exempt.

What about the soldiers coming back from AF or IZ late in the season. If you are an active duty soldier and a war vet I think you should be awarded a free annual upon return from Theater. THAT is the least we could do. Hell I'm retired and I would be glad to pay a little more so that they have this.