What would you change about TN regs?

Guest GunTroll

Guest GunTroll

First off I would like to get this out of the way. I respect the wildlife game wardens who are doing their tough jobs. They don't make the rules and I know that. They also can't pick and choose which ones to enforce and slide. Its the folks behind the scene that seem.....lame.

I know I have been critical of TWRA in more than a few post. I just don't want you guys to think I'm a TWRA basher. I follow the rules however restrictive they appear to be. If the TWRA doesn't know what we are bothered about, I don't expect them to change.

So what I'm getting at....what regs would you change or loosen or do away with all together? What regs would you like to see put in place where needed? I'm just wondering what some of you other outdoor enthusiast/hunters would like to see in the way of change. Its my understanding they have some sort of forum where they listen to suggestions from the public. I think it would be nice to discuss something like that here first.

Thanks for the replies!

GT

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

My first gripe is the damn contradictions in the printed reg book. I'm no lawyer and prefer to get the info that is need in one maybe two reads of the reg in question. And without turning the page to find a complete contradiction of the page's before regs.;)

I like NOT reading between the lines. Black and white will do thanks.

Its like they want some darn confusion out there to be able to ticket or something.:cool:

1. I agree with the confusing paragraphs and contradictions in the current manuals too!

2. How about getting the restrictions on the use of Night Vision Scopes / Devices lifted for the purpose of coyote hunting at night? I know---Everyone would be poaching deer is their defense of the restriction, but I really don't see that. If someone was caught poaching deer, then let them be punished two fold. Other states allow night vision scopes for coyote hunting. Why not TN?

Wait, do you need a liscense to pot a coyote? I thought they were outside the "game" or "sporting" animals, not something you hunt, sort of like a rat or snake or other pest.

Also, for pests, wouldnt those be "outside" the rules for type of gun and equipment? I am confused now!

Guest GunTroll
Wait, do you need a liscense to pot a coyote? I thought they were outside the "game" or "sporting" animals, not something you hunt, sort of like a rat or snake or other pest.

Also, for pests, wouldnt those be "outside" the rules for type of gun and equipment? I am confused now!

You don't in CO if you don't call it "hunting" but rather pest control if your on private land. Not sure if that would work here however. License fees = paychecks.

There's a lot of wierd restrictions. One is the crow season says you can only hunt them on Fri,Sat, and Sun. Another is the feral hogs on public land. Hogs do a lot of damage and you would think TWRA would let legal hunters hunt till they're blue in the face, but only legal during deer season by legal deer hunters. I even called TWRA and talked to a guy and he didn't really give me a answer. I asked why on public land why don't they let hunters kill all they want and he said " yeah they do a lot of damage." DUH.

A big game stamp should not be required to hunt hogs. In fact, as they are a 'pest' animal, simply having a hunter's safety certification is all that should be required - shouldn't even need the general hunting/fishing license. Hunting hogs over bait should be allowed, at least on private property. Also, feral hogs should not magically transform into 'wild boars' simply by crossing the boundary of a WMA. TWRA says that they want hunters' help in getting rid of hogs yet require hunters to purchase nearly $60 worth of licenses to help them get rid of the 'pests'. I've never hunted hogs but would like to and such changes would make it a heck of a lot easier to get started.

Night hunting coyotes should also be legal. I have also not really hunted coyotes but I have mostly only ever heard/seen them in my area at night. That is part of the reason I really haven't hunted them - day hunting an animal that seems to be mostly nocturnal sounds like an excercise in futility.

This isn't entirely TWRA regs - I believe that there are other laws involved - but I would also like to see at least some studies done to determine the viability of a season where raptors could be legally taken in limited numbers. I think I may have seen more red-tailed hawks in the past couple of months than I had seen in all my previous 39 years combined. In fact, two of them (obviously different birds - one was a little larger than the other) were in trees at the side of the road within a quarter of a mile of each other. That can't be good for the hawks and other raptors nor for local populations of prey animals such as rabbits, squirrels, etc.

1. Allow centerfire rifle use at ALL times of the year for Coyote.

2. DO NOT allow night hunting for any species.

3. Relaxe the regulations on Feral Hog (Sus Scrofa ).

4. Stop closing deer hunting and small game hunting on WMA's when Duck season starts.

5. Stop allowing hunting on certain days on WMA's. Some people work and the WMA's are closed on their off days.

6. I could go on and on and on and on..........

Coyote and hog hunting at night.

^^^^^

This

Also, I'm still a bit confused over some of the regulations. After reading them about 100 times it seems to appear that if you don't have a big game license you can use a center fire gun on coyotes during deer season. I called the TWRA twice and got 3 different answers.

I haven't gone out then as I don't want to be wrong. I don't deer hunt and don't want to have to spend the extra $$ just to shoot coyotes then...

My first gripe is the damn contradictions in the printed reg book. I'm no lawyer and prefer to get the info that is need in one maybe two reads of the reg in question. And without turning the page to find a complete contradiction of the page's before regs.:)

I like NOT reading between the lines. Black and white will do thanks.

Its like they want some darn confusion out there to be able to ticket or something.:shrug:

I agree.

1. Allow centerfire rifle use at ALL times of the year for Coyote.

2. DO NOT allow night hunting for any species.

3. Relaxe the regulations on Feral Hog (Sus Scrofa ).

4. Stop closing deer hunting and small game hunting on WMA's when Duck season starts.

5. Stop allowing hunting on certain days on WMA's. Some people work and the WMA's are closed on their off days.

6. I could go on and on and on and on..........

I partially agree. I think we should be allowed to hunt coyote at night. I am in favor however on putting restrictions on this. Only allow it on private property and only be able to use a shotgun this way it would be safer and still give a challenge. Heck I would also be in favor of calling a warden and telling him where I am hunting at.

I also think we should be able to use buckshot when hunting coyote when not in a big game season.

I'm like wd-40 I could go on all night about this.

1. Allow night hunting for predators. (coyote, fox, bobcat, etc) And none of that shotgun or rimfire only stuff. When you shoot animals in the dark you want them to die right there. I have night hunted for years in states that allow it and would like to be able to do it at home.

2. Allow predator/varmint hunting with a centerfire rifle regardless of what deer season is open. Even if you have to buy a special license to do so. I shouldn't have to stop shooting groundhogs in Sept just because archery season opens.

3. Allow rifles for turkey hunting like Ky and Va. I would really like to kill some of those annoying birds but I am a die hard rifle shooter.

4. Classify a hog as a hog regardless of where he resides. And don't call him big game call him what he is a varmint.

5. For the guys who do want to use shotguns allow buckshot.

6. Do away with the 500 in of orange. Most states say a orange hat is enough. Is TWRA just so proud of the vols that they want us all to look like fans?

7. Have a handgun only deer season or allow centerfire handguns during muzzleloader

8. Allow electronic calls for any species

I am sure there are more but these would be a good start.

Edited by BigJ45

it is illegal to harm a snake in tenn. in anyway. the fine is rather stiff.

1. Change Muzzle loader to "primitive" only. Move modern M/L into the gun season. Traditional cap and flint only.

2. Change the minimum antler lenght from 3" to a minimum of 4 points on buck only hunts.

3. I'll reconsider my stand on night hunting. Shotgun only on private property.

3. Allow rifles for turkey hunting like Ky and Va. I would really like to kill some of those annoying birds but I am a die hard rifle shooter.

As far as I know, Kentucky doesn't allow rifle hunting for turkeys. I could be wrong though. Sir, with all due respect, it is bad enough turkey hunting with some fools armed with a shotgun. I darn sure don't want to be "set up" on a bird on the edge of a field, then have some yo-yo shoot me because they wanted to take a 200 yard shot at a turkey, and hit me! That would never happen in TN.

mine are simple 1. open up doe season throughout the whole season bow,ml,and rifle every other year.(in unit B its only open on selected days during ml, and rifle season)

2. put a limit on the bucks as far as antler restriction allowing only six points or bigger or with a 15" inside spread.

3.allow night hunting for yotes but only with a shotgun.

Edited by ADAM
Guest GunTroll
1. Change Muzzle loader to "primitive" only. Move modern M/L into the gun season. Traditional cap and flint only.

2. Change the minimum antler lenght from 3" to a minimum of 4 points on buck only hunts.

WD, have you changed your thoughts on the point restriction? Seems like I started a debate of sorts about this a year ago and I thought you were on the other side of the fence.

Well, good point. I only kill anything if it needs killing though, not any sort of "hunting" (I certainly do not go looking for things to shoot at). If that copperhead is about to gnaw on my leg, I will risk the fine. Unless starving, I am not going to kill any animal apart from defense (of my person, property, family, etc). If it is chewing up the house, about to kill me, etc. I will risk the game warden... For the most part, I live and let live. I like to see critters at play in the yard or a blacksnake on the porch or whatever, and will not bother most animals.

**I am not against hunting, I just do not care for it personally, and have no problem with those who enjoy it.

Well, good point. I only kill anything if it needs killing though, not any sort of "hunting" (I certainly do not go looking for things to shoot at). If that copperhead is about to gnaw on my leg, I will risk the fine.

I have seen many posts which state the same thing that jughead stated. Thing is, what I find in the law does not clearly jibe with that statement. To avoid hijacking this thread, I started a new one on the subject here:

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/hunting/51631-killing-snakes.html#post668470

I do not intend this to 'call anyone out' in any way - I simply want a clearer understanding of the law on the matter (and not just what the Tennessee Herpetologicall Society would have us believe is the law.)

1. Allow night hunting for predators. (coyote, fox, bobcat, etc) And none of that shotgun or rimfire only stuff. When you shoot animals in the dark you want them to die right there. I have night hunted for years in states that allow it and would like to be able to do it at home.

I hunt coyotes with a shotgun and they die when they get shot.

I don't agree on letting people use rifles to hunt turkeys. I also don't want some idiot to drive by and see my decoy (some look very real) and take a shot killing me or injuring me.

I wouldn't mind a point restriction and the primitive only hunt would be a great challenge.

I hunt coyotes with a shotgun and they die when they get shot.

I don't agree on letting people use rifles to hunt turkeys. I also don't want some idiot to drive by and see my decoy (some look very real) and take a shot killing me or injuring me.

I'm sure that a coyote will die just fine when shot with a shotgun at reasonable shotgun ranges but in my experience when night hunting it is hard to judge distance and you would end up shooting farther than you think you are. Well then how about a fall rifle turkey season during the deer hunts? My property is covered up with them and I personally would like to hunt them with a claymore and a corn feeder just to get rid of them. I miss the good old days when seeing a turkey was a big deal. Now seeing 20 or 30 is just a common occurance.