Y-12 Credit Union Members

Guest dotsun

Hey guys, I went to the credit union today and noticed that they posted no weapons signs. If anyone else on here banks with them please take a minute and send them an email letting them know what you think about it.

www.y12fcu.org

ps: Please don't tell them that their signs are incorrect and not legally binding in TN, that's not helpful in the least.

pps: Anyone bank at ORNL FCU? I'm in the market for a new credit union now. :(

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest canynracer
ps: Please don't tell them that their signs are incorrect and not legally binding in TN, that's not helpful in the least.
..... But the signs are not legal, so I ignore them.

050.giffing02.gif

If you can stomache dealing with them over the no gun thing can't you just use the drive up window or ATM machine outside?

Sure I could, or I could ignore the worthless signs. I'm sure all the other HCP carriers out there will probably do just that. That's a lot easier than standing up for yourself and telling them that their policies are unacceptable. But it ticks me off enough to make me want to leave and make damn sure that they know why I left. I have little doubt that my leaving the credit union will probably be met with a 'don't let the door hit ya in the ass' reply from management. I guess it's just the principle of the thing.

We always say vote with your feet and that's what I intend to do. But then I may find that policy is in place at the other major credit union in town and end up stuck where I am. :)

Guest Engloid

I will be contacting them. When I make a withdrawal of thousands in cash (I have many times), I am within eyesight of several people waiting in line. The teller counts this money out loud, so everybody knows how much money I have.

I now am supposed to walk out the door unarmed?

I'll be contacting them. I have done by banking with them for 20+ years, but depending on their response, that may change.

Guest Engloid
I dunno, if I was making withdrawals several times a year in the thousands of dollars I would be talking to the manager about some discretion in the counting out loud department.

A crackhead will rob you for $50 or less, and who doesn't ever take out that much? Even if they don't count it out loud, a person behind you can tell, based on how long it takes to count, that you have a lot of money.

I sent them an email. I've banked with them for over 20 years, but am able to change and go elsewhere. Here's the email I sent:

I went through all the training and background checks that allow me to carry a hangun for the protection of myself, my family, and any others around me that may be in danger of losing their life. It is as much a responsibility as it is a right. When I walk into a shopping mall, with my weapon on my hip (I prefer to conceal), I feel that my family and I are safer, and much less likely to be the next victims on the national news. If you are in the mall at the same time I am, I feel you are safer also. More guns in the hands of sensible people makes a safer world for us all.

I recently heard that Y12 has decided to not allow handgun carry inside their banks. This not only disturbs me and takes away some of the rights I have, but it makes me feel less safe doing my banking there. I often make withdrawals of thousands of dollars in cash. I go to the teller and they count the money out loud. This makes me uncomfortable, as everybody in line can either hear exactly how much money I’m getting, or they know it’s a lot based on how long it takes them to count it aloud. What if there’s a crackhead in line behind me that is about to withdraw his last $40 to go buy his kids some food? He could easily decide to step out of line and wait on me outside. Do you think he’ll be leaving his weapon in the car? No, he won’t care what rules you have in place.

I feel that this new policy puts me and my family at greater risk. You’re putting rules on law-abiding citizens, but it will not stop the criminals. It only means that the criminals know I’ll be unarmed when I exit the bank with my money. Most banks have security guards these days. Why not require that handgun permit owners (legal gun carriers) merely show that ID at the door? It is a fair compromise that doesn’t strip the safety from good citizens.

I have always had a good relationship with this credit union, and hope that will continue. I have been helped out at times that somebody went out of their way to help me, simply on my word of honesty and integrity. This new policy simply strips away my right to keep myself and my family safe, and shows lack of concern on the part of your organization.

I hope you will reconsider this policy. If not, I will have to reconsider my long-standing membership with Y12FCU (in favor of a place that doesn’t strip my rights to protect myself and my family). If you have any further questions, feel free to call me

Guest Engloid
Excellent worded letter.:koolaid::koolaid::koolaid:

Thanks.

I also included in it, my name, phone number, and account number. I have had several loans with them, and all have been paid off early. I hope they change this policy. If they do not, I may take things a bit higher up the ladder.

Nice, here's the one I sent them this week:

As a 20+ year member of Y-12 FCU I was very disappointed today to see the sign on the door banning weapons. I have a TN handgun carry permit and have always felt welcome and at home in the credit union. I carry a handgun to protect myself and my family and try to only do business in places that allow me that option.

I cannot think of any logical reason why my bank would deprive me of the right to defend myself while conducting business there. Surely the sign isn't going to be useful to stop criminals who enter the credit union, they would only be more elated to know that the customers inside are unarmed. I also can't see that this is a liability issue as you are now liable for my protection when I'm defenseless inside your establishment.

I understand that I'm not a priority customer so I don't expect to change your policy, just as a matter of fact that I will seek banking services at a different organization that respects my right to defend myself.

Sincerely,

Jo mamma

Most commercial banks of any size (Bank of America, Regions, First TN) do not have signs trying to keep guns out of their banks. They are like any large corporation, they try to not appear 'pro' or 'anti' gun. Ever see such a sign at Kroger, Wal Mart, or Dillard's?

I would just carry in the place you go anyway, especially since the signs do not legally prevent you from doing so. If you aren't pleased with the financial institution's stance of purposefully trying to keep your gun out, then walk in with your gun and take your money down the road. So many other financial institutions to choose from.

Guest Engloid
If you aren't pleased with the financial institution's stance of purposefully trying to keep your gun out, then walk in with your gun and take your money down the road. So many other financial institutions to choose from.

If you don't make your voice heard, they do not know why you are leaving. You can't expect people to know your stance on an issue if you don't tell them.

If the signs are not posted correct,and you start yappin away about how your taking your mony else where,and there signs not even posted right,then guess what,they will post them right.Forget about the wrong sign and go about ypur buisness.

I'm confused, how does complaining about the signs being in place have anything to do with if they're legal or not? We're not telling them that there signs aren't legally binding.

Guest Engloid
I'm confused, how does complaining about the signs being in place have anything to do with if they're legal or not? We're not telling them that there signs aren't legally binding.

I agree..they may think their signs are legal still.

"Nothing changes until something moves."

If we just leave and go elsewhere, what happens if all the banks take up this policy, because none of the first ones knew why they had customers leaving.

Leaving without letting somebody know why you're leaving gives absolutely no chance for a change.