wondering, TICS required for replica blackpower pistol?

I am a bit tired so I am probably going to make some mistakes in this post.

I know I have read something like what I am asking before, around the time I joined but I have been unable to find it.

One of the next things I plan to buy is going to be a black power pistol. Mainly just to take to the range.

However, looking over some information,

starting with what I found at Dixie Firearm.

1. What restrictions apply to shipping muzzleloading firearms?
  2. Muzzleloaders, by virtue of the fact that they do not fire fixed ammunition, are considered antique firearms under The Gun Control Act of 1968 and are not restricted in trade by any federal law or regulation. This applies to both antique and new made muzzleloaders. There may be state or local ordinances which restrict our ability to ship direct to the customer. Residents of HI, NJ, MA and MI are urged to check their state and local laws for any restrictions on ordering black powder firearms. Dixie's black powder cartridge guns can only be shipped to a federally licensed dealer. In order to ship to the dealer, we must have a signed copy of the dealer's Federal Firearms License on file. If you are interested in ordering an FFL gun you should make arrangements with a local dealer to take delivery. This is a common practice and the dealer will usually charge only a nominal fee to complete the transfer.

I found additional reading at Antique gun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

from Gun Control Act of 1968

18 USC 921 (a)(16). (A) any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; and (:shake:any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica -- (i) is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or (ii) uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade.

However, I am trying to figure out if when buying one that is classified as Antique gun one has to pay for an TIC? I know I have the pay the FFL for the transfer if I order from Dixie. However I noticed it looks like I can order from Cabelas and actually have it shipped directly to my house. So it certainly looks like background checks are not required.

(no I have no problem with a background check) If that is true, I think it would be neat when I purchase my blackpower pistol.

I bet there are people here that have the short, simple answer.

I am going to bed. This is nothing that is going to keep me up at night. Just a strange thought as I was wondering

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Muzzle-loading blackpowder firearms are not subject to any restrictions. You can buy them directly from Dixie or anyone else without going through an FFL. Only the blackpowder CARTRIDGE firearms have to go through an FFL. That is because they can also use modern ammunition. There is no TICS check. Dixie will charge you TN sales tax. If you order from out of state, you probably will not have to pay sales tax.

like 1gewehr said you do not need a FFL to buy a black powder firearm. Mail order it if you want. There are a million options out there for making purchases.

Only the blackpowder CARTRIDGE firearms have to go through an FFL.

while technically true, you can order a conversion cylinder for a black powder pistol that allows the use of conventional ammo withouth going through a FFL.

I have a '58 Remington that shoots cap and ball, I also have a conversion cylinder for it that holds .45 Colt rounds. The conversion cost near as much as the pistol but was shipped direct to me from Taylor.

Edited by Mike.357

Dixie has one I am looking at, and the others are from Cabelas. Right now, Cabelas has some on sale too.

Pietta 1851 Confederate Navy .44 Caliber Revolver for 149.00

I may order it.

Just using it as an example but if I where to order it, I would probably go ahead and buy the spare parts kit now and put it away just in case I need it in the future.

like 1gewehr said you do not need a FFL to buy a black powder firearm. Mail order it if you want. There are a million options out there for making purchases.

while technically true, you can order a conversion cylinder for a black powder pistol that allows the use of conventional ammo withouth going through a FFL.

I have a '58 Remington that shoots cap and ball, I also have a conversion cylinder for it that holds .45 Colt rounds. The conversion cost near as much as the pistol but was shipped direct to me from Taylor.

I read about those last night as well. I found that interesting.

At this moment, I have 0 black powered guns. Dad has a Muzzle-loading rifle I could alway borrow for deer hunting if I wanted but I always just waited for rifle season.

I want to have a black power pistol or 2 to take to the range. Yes I know they don't shoot as well as a modern firearm, but that is part of the history of it.

Pietta 1851 Confederate Navy .44 Caliber Revolver for 149.00

I may order it.

The one at Cabelas has a brass frame. I would caution you against buying a brass-frame revolver in .44. Eventually, it will lose it's proper cylinder timing due to the softer brass frame. You sound like you are on a tight budget. I would advise you to save a few more dollars and get a stronger steel framed revolver. You will enjoy it much more and never have to worry about it.

I know they don't shoot as well as a modern firearm, but that is part of the history of it.

Where do you get this from? Cap and ball revolvers shoot as well as any modern day firearm particularly single action revolvers. The ones I have shot have all been very accurate.

I would not worry about a spare parts kit. With proper care of the weapon it will last a long time, and if a part breaks there are several places where replacement parts can be bought. Do you buy spare part kits for other guns you have bought?

Muzzle loading firearms are exempt from background checks and can be bought and sold without restrictions in most states there are some that require background checks. Also firearms made prior to 1898 are also exempt because the are considered antiques by the BATFE but not all dealers are aware of this or just don't want to take the chance.

• 3 months later...

BP is more fun...join a reenactment group. Buckskinner bp groups in the West are very popular. I have a Lyman Great Plains flinter in .54 that I shoot and a USA made CVA flinter in 50 that that I'm altering to a Gentlemans Rifle for my father in law to use as a capture rifle. He has super long arms and the three inch extension to the stock butt is nearly too short. I took a Mikro japanese flinter and altered it to a dueling pistol for him. He does Revolutionary War reenactments.

Edited by bajabuc
spelling...again
Guest mrkirker

ditto mike357 last comment, both on accuracy and on the spare part kit. DO purchase a firing cone wrench, though. It will save much time and aggrivetion, aggreveatiion, oh heck HASSLE when you break it down to clean it.

When you work out the correct load and projectile size, you will be plesantly surprised.