The Lowly Slingshot A Survival Tool

I actually posted part of this on the Blow-Gun Thread, but then I got to thinking that the Slingshot probably needed it's own thread.

I've been reading at other forums how handy a slingshot is to have for hiking, bushcraft and to store in your BOB. I finally was sold several months ago that this could be a handy item, so I bought one at Wallyworld for about $7 along with some ammo to practice with. It takes a bit of practice to get good with it and I still have a ways to go, but I can hit a coke can at 15' regularly now and steel shot will go right threw it. I think it would be very effective on frogs, birds, rats and rabbits or any other animal that size.

I've also learned that you can modify a slingshot to effectively shoot an arrow with which you can take bigger game. Here is a cool little video of a guy hunting a pig in Hawaii with one.

And here is Dave Canterbury (of Duel Survivor Fame) and another guy explaining out to make one.

And last a modification for setting up the sling bow for fishing.

If you decide that the Slingshot is something your interested in, then I really like this guy's work.

Welcome To A+ Slingshots

Edited by Moped
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Aces&8s

I love slingshots... have had one for about as long as I can remember. Rabbit hunting, shooting starlings, I had a blast. I used one as a backup when playing paintball, in case I had a ball break in the barrel -- came in really handy a few times. I had not even thought of adding one to my survival kit, but on further reflection, it might be a good idea to throw one, some steel shot and a couple of extra bands into my pack.

I have a Wrist Rocket that's been around for about 40 years - I used to shoot cans off fence posts with it when I was a kid. I've replaced the bands several times over the years as they got old, but I'm still using the same piece of leather that it came with new. I don't think anyone did/will ever improve on the design.

Good idea to put it in the bug out bag, but I think I'll stick with stones to avoid the weight of ammo. They may not have quite the stopping power of steel shot, but you sure wouldn't run out.

That's an excellent idea about the river stones and gravel! I also like glass marbles. I've also used lead round ball pistol ammo. .31 cal and .36 cal seems to work best. The .44 lead round balls are just a bit to heavy, but I've seen pics of people taking rabbits with them. Another fun thing to practice on is one of those metal spinning targets you get for .22lr firearms and pistols.

Ole Rufus Hussey was an incredible shot with a slingshot!

Now an alternative to the Flipper style slingshot is the old leather sling (Think David and Goliath). That seems much harder to master to me, but people that do master them like to use larger stones and even golf balls. Of course, a simple leather sling weights next to nothing. I've heard of them even being made out of 550 paracord.

One thing about using a slingshot in a BOB, is that if you work for somewhere that doesn't allow you to keep a firearm in your car out in their parking lot (like my place of work), the slingshot probably won't be a problem.

My purpose in bringing all this up is to get people to think outside the box a bit.

Edited by Moped