Takin the class Finally!!

Guest BMcCoy

Me and a buddy that I work with, are going this Sunday to G&L to take the carry class!! I'm pretty excited about it. Now I have been around guns my whole life, but I am still like a kid in a candy store at any gun shop. :D Is anybody else taking it Sunday at G&L?

Ben

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pws_smokeyjones

My wife took her class there. If they have their new classroom open then it will be pretty cool. Its a good class either way, but the old classroom was far too small. Good job on taking this step.

Gee...I hope you pass it.... :cool:

Just kidding. You have to be blind and with an IQ in the negative range to fail.

When you get through, go to http://michie.lexisnexis.com/tennessee/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp= and read what the code actually says, while you are waiting for your good citizenship (HCP) card to arrive. It's just about all in Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13xx.. There is a bit of WMA stuff elsewhere (don't carry there)

Gee...I hope you pass it.... :cool:

Just kidding. You have to be blind and with an IQ in the negative range to fail.

When you get through, go to http://michie.lexisnexis.com/tennessee/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp= and read what the code actually says, while you are waiting for your good citizenship (HCP) card to arrive. It's just about all in Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13xx.. There is a bit of WMA stuff elsewhere (don't carry there)

I second this. Actually reading what the law says and understanding it is very important. I find myself going back and rereading it to refresh my memory every few months.

I will check it out. I'm really looking forward to it. They said the new classroom would be open by then. I wanted to do it back in early January, but the classes were all filled up. Thanks guys.

Ben

Congrats for going thru with it. Like Dwarren123 said, the class itself is relatively easy so long as you pay attention and use common sense. The worst part is waiting for the card to actually arrive.:)

Richard

I second this. Actually reading what the law says and understanding it is very important. I find myself going back and rereading it to refresh my memory every few months.

Glad I'm not the only only one doing this.

You and Mars are going to have to start answering post refering to the T.C.A. so I'm not doing it all the time...lol :)

Guest ETS_Inc

Reading the TCA for yourself is vitally important. That's why we actually hand out hard copies of many of the pertinent laws (self-defense, places serving alcohol, defense of property, defense of a third person, etc). As a carry-permit holder, you can't know too much about the law.

Guest Todd@CIS
Reading the TCA for yourself is vitally important. That's why we actually hand out hard copies of many of the pertinent laws (self-defense, places serving alcohol, defense of property, defense of a third person, etc). As a carry-permit holder, you can't know too much about the law.

+1

IMO, if your HCP class/instructor isn't doing this, they're missing the mark.

Edited by Todd@CIS
Guest TNDixieGirl

I read the codes for myself all the time. Now whether or not it actually sinks in is another story. Sometimes they're simply worded too goofy for me to understand on the first pass. :D

And I surely won't be answering posts about them. Nuh-uh not me! If I did that we'd have some newbie forum member going into the local steakhouse with is weapon, ordering a beer or 14, flashing his HCP badge at the waitress hoping for an LEO discount, then wondering why he was arrested for a firearms violation. :cool:

Alright, so we went thru it yesterday. I am not as impressed as I thought I would be. First off, they waayyyy overbooked the class. There were supposed to be 48 people in the class, there were actually 82 ;)!!!!!!! I was one of the lucky ones that managed to get finished with qualifying at about 1:30. My buddy didn't get finished until 5:00!!!!. Next thing is when I went to pay. The class has gone up to $60. When I signed up a month ago, they said it was $55. Now, everyone was nice and dennis tried his best to get everyone crammed in that little room, but it was very tight in there. Anyway, I'm done bitchin. I am just happy that I passed and now just have to hurry up and wait.:up:

Ben

Guest canynracer
Glad I'm not the only only one doing this.

You and Mars are going to have to start answering post refering to the T.C.A. so I'm not doing it all the time...lol ;)

HEY!! I read em...just cant find them when I need them!!! LOL Memorizing them by the number is hard to do.. :up:

Guest canynracer
I read the codes for myself all the time. Now whether or not it actually sinks in is another story. Sometimes they're simply worded too goofy for me to understand on the first pass. ;)

And I surely won't be answering posts about them. Nuh-uh not me! If I did that we'd have some newbie forum member going into the local steakhouse with is weapon, ordering a beer or 14, flashing his HCP badge at the waitress hoping for an LEO discount, then wondering why he was arrested for a firearms violation. :up:

ROFLMAO!!! 516.gif516.gif516.gif516.gif516.gif

finished with qualifying at about 1:30.

required 8 hour safety class.

So how did you get 8 hours of class by 1 pm? My class went over 8 hours and there were only about 30 students. If mine had 80 it would have lasted well into the next day. Maybe I am misunderstanding your post.

What I question is did you get enough of an education about this whole matter.

The actual classroom time took until about 1:00. The class started at 8am. We had so many people, that after you qualified the instructor signed off and let us go. There was no since in keeping us there until 5pm just waiting on everybody else to shoot. We did get plenty of education on handgun carry rights and civil responsibilities. Some of us just got out a little earlier due to the range rotation.

Ben