Trash into treas....Well not quite treasue. Single shot shotguns.

Guest Xring04

Guest Xring04

Over time as a firearms enthusiast I've come up with guns that I really have no idea why I have. The two that come to mind the most are two H&R single shot shotguns. The first one, a 12 gauge I bought years ago with a damaged stock. It was cheap, and a functional gun, so I bought it. I ordered a tamer stock for the gun that had the ability to hold 3 shells. It worked but kicked me to death. Not one of my better ideas.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago, and a friend wanted to sell me his single shot shotgun. This one a .410. I've never owned a .410 and thought it would be novel. First thing I did was trade stocks. Now I had a 12 gauge, that was just a little less punishing to shoot. The .410 feels great with the little tamer stock, and it is a handy little varmint gun.

Still I could not leave the little guns alone. So, with a bit of drilling, and then grinding the screws, I mounted the shell holder in a convenient spot on the wood stock. It works like a charm. This morning I called Choate stocks and purchased a .410 shell holder to go into the tamer stock. For less that $150, I have two very functional little shotguns.

I think the 12 gauge will be my tent camping companion.

P1000194.jpg

P1000195.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

I'm with Capbyrd. My first time shooting one was at Bert Adams Scout Reservation turning my hard earned allowance into busted clay pigeons.

12ga. H&R was the first shotgun I bought as well. I still bring it out every now and then when I hear someone whining about how much their 870 kicks.

The first firearm I ever owned was a Savage/Stevens .410 single. It was a Christmas present from my parents when I was in my early teens. The second firearm I owned was a single shot 12 gauge. I can't remember the brand name on that one - it is Brazilian made and the brand name is initials and was a Christmas present from my parents a couple of years after the .410. I still have both.

Not too long ago I bought a 20 gauge single as a 'starter' shotgun for my wife. She picked out an old Stevens with a short (youth length, I guess) stock. She liked it because it fit her well and wanted a single because of the simplicity (easy to check the chamber and make sure it isn't loaded, etc.) but has decided that she isn't crazy about shooting it. She probably needs a pump or semiauto so the weight will help absorb the recoil so I guess that by default I now have another single. It is old enough that it doesn't have a serial number. It's fun to shoot but it doesn't like high brass loads (doesn't want to eject them.)

I wouldn't mind having a couple of inexpensive singles just to play around with - things like putting one of those Tamer stocks like you have on one, etc. I want to leave my old .410 and 12 gauge alone for sentimental reasons and like the 20 the way it is. The funny thing about singles is that people selling used ones often either have collectible guns and know it or have just a plain, old single but seem to think that the barrel is lined with gold. In Walmart the other day I noticed that the price between a NEF Pardner single 12 gauge and a NEF Pardner 12 gauge pump isn't very much, at all.

Guest Aces&8s

I love my single shot H&R / NEFs. My first gun was my NEF Pardner 20 gauge, which I still have. It is a full choke little mule of a gun, and I look back and wonder how my brother and I used to shoot skeet with it. I also have a H&R single shot .17HMR, and it is the most accurate rifle I own. I am always on the lookout for a good used H&R.

20 gauge is one to be considered in this package. You have a better trajectory and even the slugs won't beat you to death. These guns shoot like lasers with slugs.

The 12 has the better choices in ammo and availability but I don't want to shoot it all day.

Larry's in Huntsville, AL has the new Marlin NEF 12 gauges in various chokes for $89.00.