Which is more important to you.... price, selection, or staffing at local shops.

Guest NashvegasMatt

Which is more important to you?? be honest  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more important to you?? be honest

• Price
    • Selection
    • knowledge

Guest NashvegasMatt

So I'm chatting with my wife yesterday and she asked me a good question. She wanted to know why I buy some things at the local gun shops, and some things at other places...like: home depot, academy sports, advanced auto...lol. I started to explain to her, that for me.... it's not always being loyal to the local economy that is important. There are other factors involved in the decision making process for me. Most (excluding D&T, they've never done me wrong.) local gun shops seem to have 2 major problems in my opinion: 1) their staff seem to not care about the customer as much as they care about the prestige of operating a gun shop....or in other words being "the arrogant gun shop employee". I think you all know what I mean. Next: 2) the pricing issue. Now don't get me wrong, I know how to run a business, so I understand that you have to make a living... but some of these places are just banking on the fact that they'll have some no-common sense fella come in and overpay buy $75-150 on guns and parts. This theory kind of works, but just think about it this way. If all of your products were more competitively priced, you would sell more attachments (small items such as earplugs, glasses, cleaning supplies, and other accessory type stuff.)more often. This would in turn make up the overpricing that you have to do on your guns. Lets be honest... your money is in the small stuff and you know it! You can have it one way or the other; high priced guns and low priced accessories, or the other way around... but not both. Higher priced items have a smaller markup, because of the general cost and vendor minimum that is required upon purchase. Enough about business...

To wrap this thing up, I go where I feel like I am wanted. This is why I stay away from certain places that I know do not have my interest in mind. Price is never everything for me... if it were, I'd buy exclusively online, but it's not. I don't mind driving 25 miles out to go to my favorite shop, because they always help and give advise... even if I'm not buying anything....weird what customer service will do for you huh?

Edited by NashvegasMatt
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I am very blessed , I have found MY shop !!! The guys there have become my friends, and while I'm not "well heeled", I buy on average 2 or 3 guns a year, from them !!! As far as shoot'n stuff, I get that from them to, you see I want them to be able to make a living, so they can keep the doors open !!!! Service and friendship is much more important than price to me. 5, 10, even 15 % more than what I could get stuff for on the internet, is by far worth it to me. I found out long ago, ( I used to sell cars ) that people who buy, based solely on price, are very rarely satisfied with their purchase, and those who sell with the lowest price almost always give zero customer service! Which hurts repeat sales, causing the store to close anyway, so really you do, in the long run get what you pay for !!! Oh yeah, "props" to TCGD !!!!! Oh, I didn't vote on your poll, you left out the most important element to me, SERVICE !!!

Edited by Ae-35

Cost is king for commodities. Other things you want to get touchy-feely with before buying, and I'm willing to pay (a little) more for that privilege. But I'm not willing to bend over just to keep a local shop in business.

My biggest complaint is clueless gun sales people who think they know what they're talking about. They're easy to spot, they talk more than they listen.

Selection; The big box stores have 99% hunting rifles, and it seems like all a lot of independent shops have are handguns designed for CCW permit holders. If I could find a shop that carried a balanced selection of CCW, hunting guns, Old West era stuff, and C&R military stuff I would literally NEVER go anywhere else. For long-term Knoxville residents, my IDEAL gun shop was Parker and Sons Shooting Supplies in Straw Plains from c. 1988-1992. Only other place I have ever been with that strong of a grease/cosmolene smell was my own gun safe.... Mmmmmmmmmm..... As close as it gets now to ideal is Farnsworth's down in Vonore. Rob appreciates fine old guns and has some CCW stuff and hunting stuff too. If it just wasn't such a haul to Vonore...

Edited by Plain Old Dave

I went with "knowledge", the knowledge being the dealer knows what customer service really is. Price comes second.

Case in point, recently I went to a shop and was welcomed when I came in the door, the store had only two other customers in there. I asked about a Beretta PX4, he said he did not carry them but offered to order one, he then went to his books, searched the gun, went to the internet and came back with a card with the out the door price written on it. He stated he would beat anyones price and if he could help further to call him. I was looking at his stock during this time and was pleasantly surprised at his initiative.

After calling other shops for the OTD price, he was right, he beat 4 other dealers. So I'm sold, I'll pay him a visit the next time I buy.

The next example is another dealer similar in store size. Every time I've been in there, there has been friends crowding the counter jawboning. After I was acknowledged, maybe 5 minutes after browsing around, (couldn't look at the small display of guns because of the locals blocking it). I asked them about the Beretta, "No, don't have one" and that was it.

That did it for me, it's the last time I'll be in that shop. This wasn't the first time that I've been in there but looking back, each time that I was I never felt welcome.

So, If I'm treated right, they get my business. As far as knowing every detail about every gun they have in the shop, I feel this is part of my job before I purchase but they should offer comparisons and be truthful if they are unaware.

Guest Travtastik

To put it simple I work my ass off for the money that I have and when I have a chance to buy something I go the cheapest I can find. About a month ago I was looking for FiveseveN and the only place I found close to me that had one was $180 more then Buds. The shop was nice and the guys that worked there were great help, but it wasn't worth the money I could save by ordering it. I know this is cheap but if I can save enough to get a box of ammo by getting it somewhere else I will do it. Money is to tight right now so my buying is very limited but when I do I get the most for my money.

To put it simple I work my ass off for the money that I have and when I have a chance to buy something I go the cheapest I can find. About a month ago I was looking for FiveseveN and the only place I found close to me that had one was $180 more then Buds. The shop was nice and the guys that worked there were great help, but it wasn't worth the money I could save by ordering it. I know this is cheap but if I can save enough to get a box of ammo by getting it somewhere else I will do it. Money is to tight right now so my buying is very limited but when I do I get the most for my money.

I'm very happy that you're happy, with the value you feel you're getting for your money. You ,can understand that others, can place just as much value on personnel service when spending their money too.:P That's the great thing about my country everybody has a choice !!

Well, it's hard to quantify this in a poll. I think that there are ranges within each category that affect the others. For instance, I generally look for a good price, but I might be willing to spend $20 or so more on a gun if I like the staff better or the location or store hours are more convenient. But not $100 more.

Selection also plays a part. There was a pistol I was looking for recently but the two smaller "friendly" shops are out of stock, and no idea when they might get one in. However, a larger, busier shop that is in a less desirable location had the gun I wanted in stock, so I bought it there. In that case, selection (or more accurately, availability) was the trump card. Price-wise they were about even.

It all depends on the specific circumstances. The perfect gun shop would have low prices, a knowledgeable staff with plenty of time to work with each customer, and a huge selection in stock. Somehow I bet one or more of those conditions would not be conducive to running a profitable business, which is probably why we so rarely see all of these factors in play at a single location.

Good question. I picked price. I generally know what it is I'm after and do my research before acquisition. Staffing is next though.. I won't do business with folks who act snobby, are too "busy" to treat me right, or really just don't know what they're talking about. Last is selection. If what I want isn't available at a shop, I don't stick around.

I picked Selection, but i would have picked Customer Service had it been an option.

I was in Coal Creek Armoury today. Looking around to see who had what in stock. Looking for a shotgun and a 9mm glock.

I was in the store a little over a half hour. No said a thing to me. there were a couple guys talking in one corner. the corner with the glocks. Now neither of them were employees AFAIK. At one point I walked over to the little gate they have setup moved one of the shotguns around so i could see the price tag; Still nothing.

Granted i am just a 20 year old "Kid" who looks like he is just looking around. But hell i feel i at least deserve acknowledgement of my presence even if you dont think i am going to buy anything.

Guest NashvegasMatt
Good question. I picked price. I generally know what it is I'm after and do my research before acquisition. Staffing is next though.. I won't do business with folks who act snobby, are too "busy" to treat me right, or really just don't know what they're talking about. Last is selection. If what I want isn't available at a shop, I don't stick around.

I'm right there with you. I do my research before I go to the store, and that is why I did not select knowledge. If I'm going in blindly and leaning on the sales staff to shoot me in the right direction, I feel that their opinion may be swayed by the sale. Not to say everyone does this...but lets be honest.. as soon as most salesmen think you are not actually going to buy, their attention span gets very short. I feel like it's the responsible thing to do, to come on here, or elsewhere to ask and received non-biased answers, because quite frankly none of you care to lie because you're not benefiting from it. I guess I just don't like being sized up. I'm 24 and I get it all the time from salesmen who are not interested in me. That's ok, that't ther choice... but I think it's foolish to presume that I either....have no money, or have no real knowledge.

I picked Selection, but i would have picked Customer Service had it been an option.

I was in Coal Creek Armoury today. Looking around to see who had what in stock. Looking for a shotgun and a 9mm glock.

I was in the store a little over a half hour. No said a thing to me. there were a couple guys talking in one corner. the corner with the glocks. Now neither of them were employees AFAIK. At one point I walked over to the little gate they have setup moved one of the shotguns around so i could see the price tag; Still nothing.

Granted i am just a 20 year old "Kid" who looks like he is just looking around. But hell i feel i at least deserve acknowledgement of my presence even if you dont think i am going to buy anything.

Customer service is the downfall of big business. I can say with honesty that my place of work has had an uphill battle this year turning our overall attitudes around... because the bottom line is that customers WILL go elsewhere.

I didn't actually vote because, like others here, there are several factors that go into my decision to shop at one place over another. Price is probably the most important, but it's balanced by availability, location, and the staff. Sure, Bud's usually has a better price than most shops, but by the time you factor in the shipping and transfer fees, and tack on the waiting time, then figure I'm heading to the shop to pick it up anyhow, it's not worth the hassle to me to save $20 over what may already be in stock. Same goes for driving to a distant gun shop to save some cash. If it's too far, then I spend as much in gas as I would have shopping closer to home. However, I'm willing to pass up a good deal if the staff act like a bunch of gun store commandos who don't really appreciate my business. I also tend to shy away from gun shops that prohibit any form of loaded carry in their store. If you don't trust me to carry my CCW, then you shouldn't trust me enough to sell me a gun at all. There is only one real exception to this for me and that's because they have the best reloading supply selection around the area.