Great Danes

Slappy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

snowdog004.jpg get with a great dane rescue we have 3 rescues, my wife is involved with some of the rescues here in east tenn. There are plenty of danes that need rescued because people don't realize whats envolved in owning one. I see everbody has beat me to the punch on the rescue sites. But do your research before you get one they are great dogs but have some down sides. These are my 7, 8,9 the merliquin (white) is sadie shes doing her chemo right now

snowdog019.jpg

danetrain007.jpg

snowdog005.jpg

Edited by laktrash

Hey Laktrash, it looks like you need a bigger couch!

We've got 2 rescue dogs, they're not Danes, but I strongly agree with checking out the rescue organizations.

They're usually great people who love dogs and you know you're giving a second chance to an animal who really needs it.

I wouldn't trade our 2 rescue dogs for anything.

Good luck, I hope you can find a new addition to your family!

Try www.petfinder.com There are literally thousands of deserving dogs on there, and a lot of them are purebreds. Good luck.

Worth looking there for sure. That's where my son found the cat he wanted us to adopt. I ended up driving over an hour to get this one particular cat, but it was worth it. :up:

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Guest Lester Weevils
Can you get a rescue Dane puppy? How old are the typical rescues?

Rescues come all ages.

Some dogs and breeds need more space and attention. I think a lot of good dogs get to the rescue situation because the people who bought them as puppies underestimated the time and trouble of the breed. And then there are some lovable sweet dogs who happen to need more time and attention than average for the breed.

One of my hounds was rescued from folks who knew enough to tolerate the usual hyperactive hound, but this boy is hyperactive on steroids and he made himself very unpopular in his first home. I work at home so he has constant companionship, and have space for him to run, so he does fine here. When he was in a situation of being left all alone every day, he would freak and destroy all the furniture. Or if left outside, howl all day and annoy urban neighbors. Or escape his yard and chase all the neighbor cats and dig up all the neighbor flower beds.

Some breeds and individuals are very social and get miserable if left alone too much. Some of those breeds do fine if they at least have another dog companion to keep em company when people are away.

It isn't right to adopt a dog that needs a lot of company, unless the owner is in a situation to provide a lot of company. It isn't right to adopt a dog that needs lots of room to run, if you can't provide lots of room to run.

Older dogs have some advantages. Most dogs mellow out around age 3 to 5. If you can't stay at home most of the time or if you don't have a big place for them to run, then an older dog can work out better than a young puppy of an energetic breed. They can be a real ball of fire for a couple of years.

In addition, a lot of adult rescues are housebroken. Adopting an adult dog, you might not have to put up with the dog wanting to chew everything up for a year, and probably won't have to house-break them.

Another plus 1 for older rescue. You can forget about how much work and responsibility a puppy can be.We took in a 6 year old that had been kept in a small pen all his life the people used him for breeding. Turned out to be great dog. As the picture shows danes are house dogs and 3 do take a toll on the furniture. But I guess I wouldn't have it any other way.

Edited by laktrash

I actually adopted my Boxer from TGO a little less than a year ago. He is gentle as a lamb with my 2-year-old but suspicious of strangers. The biggest issues we've had are that he created a little incident with some neighbors when knocked over a neighbor's dog who got too close to my son's stroller, and he really had to be trained not to jump at kids. Overall though, we couldn't be happier with him.

Guest Drewsett

Those aren't dogs.

You've been showing us pictures of small horses.

:D

I never can get over just how large they are. I know there are bigger dogs, but for some reasons Danes have always just seemed so huge to me. Probably because a neighbor had one that used to chase me on my bike when I was a kid. I'd almost always outrun him, but sometimes he'd get a bite on my foot or run up on my back tire. I swear when I turned around to look back at him the dog and I were on the same eye level.

+10000 on adopting rescues!!!

I have five rescue dogs and one rescue cat and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Rescue dogs are generally much more affectionate than normal dogs because they know they have it good now. My great dane is a perfect example of that. She was bought by a family, but as soon as she got too big, they threw her outside and never messed with her. They even bought a Yorkie or something that was more house appropriate. Well, they ended up moving and couldn't take the Dane with thim, so we got her. Now, she only goes outside when she has to do her business, and loves sleeping on the bed when I or my wife are not in town.

She may not be the smartest dog, but she is the most affectionate and most loyal of the bunch!

+10000 on adopting rescues!!!

I have five rescue dogs and one rescue cat and I wouldn't trade them for the world. Rescue dogs are generally much more affectionate than normal dogs because they know they have it good now. My great dane is a perfect example of that. She was bought by a family, but as soon as she got too big, they threw her outside and never messed with her. They even bought a Yorkie or something that was more house appropriate. Well, they ended up moving and couldn't take the Dane with thim, so we got her. Now, she only goes outside when she has to do her business, and loves sleeping on the bed when I or my wife are not in town.

She may not be the smartest dog, but she is the most affectionate and most loyal of the bunch!

Hats off to you and I totally agree about rescues making better companions. Danes do seem to have a different loving personality.

Hats off to you and I totally agree about rescues making better companions. Danes do seem to have a different loving personality.

Thank you very much!

As I type this, the Dane is making a "bed" out of my wife's favorite couch blanket. My wife is in Texas right now getting ready to deploy to Iraq, and Bella, the Dane, is obviously missing her.

Edited by 323ssplt

We are a BIG dog family too :screwy:

Although not Dane's, we are a St Bernard Family .... And YES, RESCUE!!! Camelot, our big boy, we rescued at the age of 4 from a man who lost his house and kept him in an apartment. He weighed just over 100 lbs when we got him and his ribs were sticking out ... We have now had him coming up on 2 years this summer and is now a healthy 148 lbs of love. The other Saint is Kaylee, our female. We have had her since a puppy. Kaylee is only about 100-105 lbs.

CamelotandKaylee.jpg

CamelotandJordy2.jpg

IMG_0718.jpg

Edited by xRUSTYx