I love my Nissan Armada but...

KahrMan

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Wrangler did outstanding, even in 2wd. We are relativly flat here, but there are some hills at major intersections that I had to go through. I was curious on one and stopped (Estate and Park for those that know), and had it in 4wd. The SUV beside me spun and slowly moved forward as I pulled away with very minimal slippage. Around 3 Wednesday the roads were covered and at major intersections, the tire marks were frozen over, cars and SUV's, one was a 2wd older Grand Cherokee, ZJ, couldn't move, was just spinning. My Jeep impressed me. Saw a few aftereffects of multi car pileups. People still don't understand the whole lay off the brake pedal deal though. That and getting right on someone's bumper at a stop got a lot of people in trouble. Momentum is your friend, unless you have too much and have to stop! I always kept about a two car link space and would be moving slowly and watching my rear in case I need to exit the road and avoid getting hit in the rear.

Same problem with my 4-Runner. When it get's snowy, I drive our Subaru. Goes and goes and goes.

those Subaru's do great in the snow. Last year we got a decent snow and the roads were solid ice. The only 2 cars that made it up the hill on our rd were a Subaru and some huge Chevy truck.

Granted, most of the other failed attempts were because people around here are horrible drivers in the snow.

No vehicle of any configuration will do well when there is a lack of traction; especially if the lack of traction is due to ice!

As a general rule; a front wheel drive vehicle will do better than a rear wheel drive vehicile.

A four wheel drive vehicle will do better than a two wheel drive regardless of which to wheels are doing the driving.

An intelligent four wheel (all wheel) drive system will usually do better yet.

Adding chains should always help some (and some areas of the country REQUIRE them for some roads)....also, the type of tires you have on the vehicle will have an impact (sometimes a significant impact) on how well a vehicle can do in snow.

Overall...shame of you for buying a two wheel drive SUV!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest TargetShooter84

I've had to use my 4wd couple times and its helped me out in some serious icy hills.

Had a 2wd Jeep Cherokee as a first car...traded that in for a 4x4 SUV and 2 months later, had a massive ice storm hit here....its a 20 min commute to work but it took me an hr and half to get home because all the dumb drivers in cars and 2wds were blocking the road and couldnt make it up the slightest hills while all trucks/SUVs with 4wd were doing them with no issues.

Very glad to have 4x4 that night otherwise I'd be sleeping in the ditch.

Because of that and couple other reasons, I will buy a 4wd for the rest of my life.

If you have a RWD vehicle in the snow you might as well park and start walking. Same goes for 4WD in many cases, depending on driver.

I have never had a 4x4 truck. I have only been stuck one time and that was the black ice storm a few years back, just could not pull my hill. Other than that my rear wheel drive stick shift pick up gets around pretty well. Comes from being a yankee I guess, we learn to drive in snow. When it snows things go on as planned up there. You southern boys need to learn to drive. :D

I had an 86 Celica that LOVED snow, it was FWD. My wifes Supercharged Regal not quite as good, even though it is still FWD. Just has too much power.

Havent had to drive my F150 in the snow, but i imagine its gonna suck. Its only 2WD with a torque monster engine. Rain gets to be a PITA sometimes

I do not follow how one can have too much power to get around in snow. Put it in a lower gear or start out in second. I really have no problems with it all.

That was the worst three hours of this winter... it took me 3.5 hours to get 17 miles from work to home. Along the way I saw many cars abandoned but my little ford edge made it through....

The best winter vehicle is a Jeep Wrangler with a set of knobby tires... that sucker will go anywhere because of the 4wd and the short wheelbase

Guest Keinengel

I live in Manchester and work at the Nissan plant in Smyrna so it wasn't a very fun night for me. My truck's radiator went out the day beforehand ironicly so I had to borrow my dad's 2010 Nissan Versa to drive to work. Its one of the hatchbacks with a 6-spd and I had no problems at all getting to work. Watching everyone else slide around next to me was kinda nerve wracking thats for sure. The only thing that was kinda difficult to do was slow down. But I just down shifted the transmission to do that. Easy peasy :D On a side note my old 98' navigator was a 4WD and plowed through the snow and ice like a tank. But I had a couple bags of cement and the 3rd row seat in when I drove in this kind of weather.

Guest drv2fst

I drove all around and didn't have any problems at all. Last snow I took the kids to a nice hill for sledding. After we were done sledding I drove up and down the hill just for kicks. No problems here.

Guest boatme99

That's a shame. i liked the Armada (rented one for a week) but it does seem to be more of a "luxury/soccer vehicle. Where I live I need a 4 wheel. I just bought 2 Lincoln Town Cars and I'm impressed with the way handled in the recent snows, but who wants to wreck a freakin' Lincoln?

I'd like to find an older Land Rover, J-40, Bronco, or other short wheelbase 4x4. That's what really works in this kind of snow.