Ankle Rig for a G27

Guest nelac123

Guest nelac123

in the market for an ankle rig for my G27...just putting this out there hoping to get some feedback from those who carry with this kind of set up. I'm willing to hear anything and everything you guys have to say, so hit me with it.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One piece of advise, don't do it!!!! Although easily concealable, this may be the most uncomfortable and impractical carry method ever devised. It's basically only useful if you're kidnapped and thrown in the back of a car, lying down on a blanket in the park, or becoming a professional gambler ala Doc Holliday. If you happen to be standing up during a confrontation, you're screwed.

Hey, I've tried it and it failed miserably. Others may have different experience, but mine is very similar to even the great Massad Ayoob (although I would never consider my opinion even in the same universe with his).

I've carried a G27 on my ankle daily for the last 13yrs. I've used a Galco leather rig w/neoprene band for the last 11. It's never failed me. The only time I notice it is when I'm not wearing it.

It gets hot in the summer with the "sheep's wool" padding on the back of the holster & the neoprene but I feel it's worth it.

Like anything else if you don't train with it you won't become proficient in it's use.

Second johnnychimpo.

I carry the Galco, with the added calf strap, for duty carry almost everyday in the summer. (Paddle holster when jacket or suit is worn in cooler weather, and shoulder holster when flying).

Obviously not the fastest holster out there but it does not require the obvious shirt untucked to conceal. Very comfortable, not noticeable. While not near as easy to qualify with, it is do-able.

I carry either a Smith 442, Ruger SP101, or M&P9c in a Desantis Apache on my weak side ankle as a BUG. It feels strange the first time you put it on, but it doesn't take long to become accustomed to it. I have absolutely no problems concealing any of these weapons this way.

But, like any other method of carry, you must practice your draw and reholster for it to be effective.