What do I need to know before building a 1911?

So, I'm thinking about buying a 1911 parts kit from Sarcoinc and a frame from midway and trying my hand at fitting a 1911 together but before I do I want some additional advice. What do I need to be aware of, or wary of, before doing this? Any common mistakes / pitfalls? I can't tell from the description on midway and sarco if this is something that will need some additional finishing or if it comes 'finished'.

Links for what I'm considering:

.45 1911 Auto Builders Kit with Serrated Slide

Foster Receiver 1911 Government with Grip Bushings, Ejector, Plunger Tube Steel Blue - MidwayUSA

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GunTroll

In addition to the parts, a bunch of tools can be needed. Some of those make the job easier and faster. And some of those tools cost a penny.

Good luck!

To borrow a line from Obi-Wan....

"You will go to the Amazon system. There you will learn from Kuhnhausen, the Jedi Master who instructed me. "

Amazon.com: The Colt .45 automatic: A shop manual (0715889000026): Jerry Kuhnhausen: Books

a good shop manual.... as long as the slide...slides without binding you will be OK there are other areas to worry about...remember it is a military design not like your building a Colt Python.. so it is a good "starter" to try your hand at gunsmithing..just remember safety first..

for just a shooter,.. its easy to assemble parts and get it running,.. a "match" gun on the other hand...welcome to the insanity...:)

John

more notes...

http://www.m1911.org/technic.htm includes Brownells HOW to build a 1911 series..

Edited by LngRngShtr
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest rec4309

google Remsport for your frame and slide. John will sell you a fitted frame and slide for about 300. I bought a stainless 9mm slide and fitted barrel from himand the quality is amazing, and he is a great guy to deal with. He posts on the northeast shooters website.

• 2 weeks later...
To borrow a line from Obi-Wan....

"You will go to the Amazon system. There you will learn from Kuhnhausen, the Jedi Master who instructed me. "

Amazon.com: The Colt .45 automatic: A shop manual (0715889000026): Jerry Kuhnhausen: Books

a good shop manual.... as long as the slide...slides without binding you will be OK there are other areas to worry about...remember it is a military design not like your building a Colt Python.. so it is a good "starter" to try your hand at gunsmithing..just remember safety first..

for just a shooter,.. its easy to assemble parts and get it running,.. a "match" gun on the other hand...welcome to the insanity...:rolleyes:

John

more notes...

http://www.m1911.org/technic.htm includes Brownells HOW to build a 1911 series..

+1

There are two Kuhnausen books on 1911. A TON of information. Reading 'em won't turn you into a gunsmith but will give you a great appreciation for the design, JMB and the guys who make these things run.

Just never believe anyone who tells you not to do it or you can't do it. The frame and small parts can be a fustrating booger from time to time, but is doable. Fitting the hood, lugs and link and bushing to the slide is another thing altogether. You may want to look at putting in a Kart EZ fit barrel. I'm going to look into that Remsport tip an earlier poster mentioned.