Ronald Reagan on unions and collective bargaining

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

There is a huge difference in respecting someone and idolatry. I respected Reagan. One of the

few politicians to be respected was Reagan. Unless you liked this man.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQwcQVGYroB2tWP7X31hvLpAlsK5aYdaPIJU4EAwGPQ_0-E19A2

So, what does the average teacher make in TN?

I do not know what they are making currently. My wife is a certified teacher and when she did teach for 2 years in Knoxville, the starting salary for elementary/middle was somewhere in the low 20s. This was 10 yrs ago though. I do not know what it is currently.

I do not know what they are making currently. My wife is a certified teacher and when she did teach for 2 years in Knoxville, the starting salary for elementary/middle was somewhere in the low 20s. This was 10 yrs ago though. I do not know what it is currently.

But you said they were underpaid. Wouldn't you have to know what they make in order to make that assessment?

Unions need to continually strike to justify their existence. Unions were a good

thing in the old days, not so much anymore. Excessive wages & benefits have

driven up costs to the point of shutting businesses down. The market can only bear

so much.

Nothing against teachers, but I haven't seen any evidence where pouring more

money or benefits on teachers makes kids any smarter. The same money added to

the schools resources might. JMHO

Since it was easy to find out, a quick seach shows the average starting salary for a Knoxville teacher is 31,753 a year. So I would call that somewhat underpaid. I know that money does not fix education issues, it does help attract people into the career. If you spend the same about for a degree would you rather be a teacher for 31K or say a computer tech at 45-50K?

*Teacher Salary Information For 2008—2009

Average Beginning Teacher Salary: $31,753 Average Teacher Salary: $47,602 Average Administrator Salary: $77,740 Elementary School Principals: $82,414 Middle School Principals: $87,866 High School Principals: $92,965

Since it was easy to find out, a quick seach shows the average starting salary for a Knoxville teacher is 31,753 a year. So I would call that somewhat underpaid. I know that money does not fix education issues, it does help attract people into the career. If you spend the same about for a degree would you rather be a teacher for 31K or say a computer tech at 45-50K?

*Teacher Salary Information For 2008—2009

Average Beginning Teacher Salary: $31,753 Average Teacher Salary: $47,602 Average Administrator Salary: $77,740 Elementary School Principals: $82,414 Middle School Principals: $87,866 High School Principals: $92,965

So, like any other career, it looks like it is possible to move up the ladder. One does not have to remain a teacher in the public education system if he/she does not wish to. If he/she wishes to, then their salary is a choice.

So, like any other career, it looks like it is possible to move up the ladder. One does not have to remain a teacher in the public education system if he/she does not wish to. If he/she wishes to, then their salary is a choice.

That is true and many good teachers quit after a few years to get good paying jobs. That's the way it has always been. For my wife, teaching was great in that whenever our children were off, she was off too. I think a lot of women stay in teaching for that reason. Throwing money at a problem never has worked but saying that teachers are overpaid and have lavish benefits is unfair. If we want our children to be able to compete in the world economy we must invest in getting them the best education possible. It will pay off in spades 20 years from now. If we fail to do so, I hate to think what will happen to our countries future.

That is true and many good teachers quit after a few years to get good paying jobs. That's the way it has always been. For my wife, teaching was great in that whenever our children were off, she was off too. I think a lot of women stay in teaching for that reason. Throwing money at a problem never has worked but saying that teachers are overpaid and have lavish benefits is unfair. If we want our children to be able to compete in the world economy we must invest in getting them the best education possible. It will pay off in spades 20 years from now. If we fail to do so, I hate to think what will happen to our countries future.

If I want my child to have the best education possible, I will send him/her to a good private school. Public education is the bare minimum, and if you want the best, public schools aren't really an option. I don't see that changing in my lifetime or my son's.