Proposed Gun Laws Now Being Considered in TN

Here is a list and breakdown from the NRA of proposed gun laws now being considered in the Legislature. Several on here I hadn't heard of before. It also lists the members of each committee with their contact info.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=3530

All firearm-related bills in the House Judiciary Committee and its sub-committee: Criminal Practice and Procedure are expected to be heard Wednesday, March 19. Please contact members of the Judiciary committee and respectfully urge them to support HB 702, HB 3014, HB 3036, HB 3137, HB 3153, HB 3293, and HB 3683.
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Senate Bill 3730, sponsored by State Senator Dewayne Bunch (R-09) and companion House Bill 3014, sponsored by State Representative Stacey Campfield (R-18), would authorize full-time faculty and staff with valid handgun carry permits at public schools, colleges, and universities in Tennessee to carry handguns upon completion of an annual firearms training course. Both bills are in respective Judiciary Committees.

This is a step in the right direction...I'm sure there will be arguments of how do older students differ from faculty members, especially since I have has some teachers who are my same age, mainly graduate TAs. I definitely look forward to the outcome of this and will do what I can to insure support.

Guest canynracer

WOOO HOOOO

this also needs to pass!!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=newsHead1 align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=copy></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD class=copy>

Senate Bill 2928, sponsored by State Senator Paul Stanley (R-31) and companion bill House Bill 3036, sponsored by State Representative Phillip Johnson (R-78), would ensure that employees are able to protect themselves as they travel to and from work by allowing them to store their firearms in their vehicles while at work. SB 2928 prohibits any operator or owner of any parking lot from baring firearms in private vehicles. Both bills are currently in their respective Judiciary committees

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Several NRA - backed bills are on the move in the Tennessee State Legislature. Please continue contacting your legislators in support of the following bills:

Right-To-Carry Reform

Senate Bill 23, sponsored by State Senator Doug Jackson (D-25), allows a person who has a valid Right-to-Carry permit to carry a firearm into restaurants where alcohol may be served, as long as the permit holder is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions. This important Right-to-Carry reform measure passed the State Senate with a vote of 24 to 6 in January. Companion House Bill 702, sponsored by State Representative Joe McCord (R-08), is currently in the Judiciary sub-committee Criminal Practice and Procedure.

Senate Bill 2928, sponsored by State Senator Paul Stanley (R-31) and companion bill House Bill 3036, sponsored by State Representative Phillip Johnson (R-78), would ensure that employees are able to protect themselves as they travel to and from work by allowing them to store their firearms in their vehicles while at work. SB 2928 prohibits any operator or owner of any parking lot from baring firearms in private vehicles. Both bills are currently in their respective Judiciary committees.

Senate Bill 3299, sponsored by State Senator Paul Stanley (R-31) and House Bill 3153, sponsored State Representative Jim Cobb (R-31), establishes by rule how the state will implement the federal “Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004,†relative to the carrying of firearms by qualified and retired law enforcement officers. Both bills are in their respective Judiciary Committees.

Senate Bill 3730, sponsored by State Senator Dewayne Bunch (R-09) and companion House Bill 3014, sponsored by State Representative Stacey Campfield (R-18), would authorize full-time faculty and staff with valid handgun carry permits at public schools, colleges, and universities in Tennessee to carry handguns upon completion of an annual firearms training course. Both bills are in respective Judiciary Committees.

Two more Right-to-Carry Reform NRA-backed bills from the 2007 session, House Bill 132 and House Bill 2184 are still in committee. Sponsored by State Representative Mike Bell (R-23), HB132 permits a person with a Right-to-Carry permit to possess a firearm in all public hunting areas, refuges, wildlife management areas, and national forests managed by the state. HB132 has been placed on the calendar in House Finance, Ways & Means Budget sub-committee for Wednesday, February 20. Companion Bill SB 53, sponsored by Senator Raymond Finney (R-08), passed the Senate unanimously (30-0) last session.

Also, in the House Finance, Ways & Means Budget sub-committee is HB2184. Sponsored by State Representative Frank Niceley (R-17), HB2184 would allow any resident who has a Right-to-Carry permit to possess his or her handgun while within the boundaries of any state park and all areas for recreational purposes. Please contact members of the House Finance, Ways & Means Budget sub-committee and ask them to remove the posting requirement on HB 2184. Contact information for the committee members are list at the bottom of this email.

Its Senate companion, SB 2143, sponsored by State Senator Tim Burchett (R-07), passed the State Senate last session without amendments, and would allow any resident who has a valid handgun carry permit, to possess his or her handgun while within the boundaries of any state park.

Handgun Permit Applications

Senate Bill 3368, sponsored by State Senator Mae Beavers (R-17) and companion bill House Bill 3293, sponsored by State Representative Nathan Vaughn (D-02), would eliminate the statutory provision that prohibits a citizen who has voluntarily sought mental health treatment from obtaining a handgun carry permit. The legislation would instead create a seven-year limitation. Both bills are in their respective Judiciary Committees.

Senate Bill 3755, sponsored by State Senator Mark Norris (R-32) and companion House Bill 3137, sponsored by State Representative Eddie Bass (D-65) and State Representative Mike Bell (R-23) would restrict public access to the records of concealed handgun permit holders and prohibit their publication. Both bills are in their respective Judiciary Committees.

Senate Bill 3883, sponsored by State Senator Rusty Crowe (R-03) and companion House Bill 3683, sponsored by State Representative Matthew Hill (R-07) would reduce the handgun permit application fee from $115 to $100. Both bills are in their respective Judiciary Committees.

Hunters and Sportsmen

Senate Bill 2934, sponsored by State Senator Paul Stanley (R-31) and companion bill House Bill 2453, sponsored by State Representative Eric Swafford (R-25), would create a National Rifle Association license plate allocating 50% of the funds toward hunter education. SB2934 passed the Senate unanimously (29-0) Monday, February 11. HB2453 is currently in the House Transportation Committee.

On Tuesday, February 5, Tennessee’s Senate Judiciary Committee unanimously passed House Joint Resolution 108 with NRA-backed amendments. Sponsored by State Senator Doug Jackson (D-25) and State Representative Joe McCord (R-08), this critical legislation will amend the Tennessee Constitution by protecting the right to hunt and fish. Passage of this meaningful legislation will preserve hunting and fishing in Tennessee for generations to come. HJR108 had its first of six reads on the Senate floor, Wednesday February 13. A floor vote could take place as early as the end of February.

All firearm-related bills in the House Judiciary Committee and its sub-committee: Criminal Practice and Procedure are expected to be heard Wednesday, March 19. Please contact members of the Judiciary committee and respectfully urge them to support HB 702, HB 3014, HB 3036, HB 3137, HB 3153, HB 3293, and HB 3683.

House Judiciary Committee Members:

Representative Kent Coleman (D-49), Chair

(615) 741-6829

rep.kent.coleman@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Janis Sontany (D-53), Vice-Chair

(615) 741-6861

rep.janis.sontany@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Henry Fincher (D-42), Secretary

(615) 741-1875

rep.henry.fincher@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Eddie Bass (D-65)

(615) 741-1864

rep.eddie.bass@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Rob Briley (D-52)

(615) 741-2184

rep.rob.briley@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Frank Buck

(615) 741-3817

rep.frank.buck@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Tom DuBois

(615) 741-7444

rep.tom.dubois@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Jon Lundberg

(615) 741-7623

rep.jon.lundberg@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Judd Matheny (R-47)

(615) 741-7448

rep.judd.matheny@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Eric Watson (R-22)

(615) 741-7799

eric.watson@legislature.state.tn.us

House Finance, Ways & Means Budget Sub-Committee

Representative Harry Tindell (D-13), Chair

(615) 741-2031

rep.harry.tindell@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Joe Armstrong (D-15)

(615) 741-0768

rep.joe.armstrong@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Lois Deberry (D-91)

(615) 741-3830

rep.lois.deberry@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Craig Fitzhugh (D-82)

(615) 741-2134

rep.craig.fitzhugh@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Michael Harrison (R-9)

(615) 741-7480

rep.mike.harrison@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Steve McDaniel (R-72)

(615) 741-0750

rep.steve.mcdaniel@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Gary Odom (D-55)

(615) 741-4410

rep.gary.odom@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Doug Overbey (R-20)

(615) 741-0981

rep.doug.overbey@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Randy Rinks (D-71)

(615) 741-2007

rep.randy.rinks@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Dennis Roach (R-35)

(615) 741-2534

rep.dennis.roach@legislature.state.tn.us

Representative Johnny Shaw (D-80)

(615) 741-4538

rep.johnny.shaw@legislature.state.tn.us

This is a step in the right direction, but I would contest to add students with a valid handgun carry permit to carry as well. All this does in my opinion is tell the criminals/psycho killers who is armed and who is not. All they would have to do is walk in a classroom, shoot the professor and all staff he/she sees, and he/she knows after that no one can stop he/she. Does anyone else agree?

You actually shouldn't have to buy a license from the state at all.... :clap:

I'll take it a step further....

They should issue a gun to every competent, non-criminal citizen via a "coupon," as is being done with the Digital TV conversion boxes.

(note sense of jest in tone)

I have taken some flak on this before but here goes.........I think everyone needs a course or some way to prove competency with a handgun, and have that available in some form. I dont want a bunch of jerk offs carrying guns, plain and simple. There are far too many with the laws we have now.:clap:

(B) This section shall not apply to any real property:

(A) Owned, leased, or occupied by the United States government

upon which the possession or carrying of firearms is prohibited or

controlled;

So, the Gov't allows you to have this right, but then denies you that right on their property. I was hoping that this law would benefit those of us that work in Oak Ridge. :)

I think everyone needs a course or some way to prove competency with a handgun, and have that available in some form. I dont want a bunch of jerk offs carrying guns, plain and simple. There are far too many with the laws we have now.

So, if i read this correctly not everyone is entitled to a mode of self defense of their choosing. Just those that meet your standards. Now what if someone else gets to set the standards and you do not meet them? This is what gun control is all about.

Shame, shame, shame.

Everyone is entitled, it is a God goven right to defend yourself. Man makes rules.

The only part of the current gun purchasing process that I am "ok" with is the criminal background check. Even that is a bit of a stretch though. Some of the crimes that are Felonies that would restrict your right to purchase a firearm have no baring on whether or not you are a violent individual.

The only "course" you should have is about 10 minutes with the dealer explaining the particular "features" of the gun you are buying so you know how to break it down, clean it and do simple maintenance.

I used to think that on the purchase of your first firearm you should have to take a class and spend some range time and after that you could carry it whenever and wherever you like. No need to go through that on the second and subsequent guns.

I was wrong. This is still a form of control. Either the 2nd Amendment acknowledges the right granted by the Creator to an individual to own firearms or it doesn't. If it doesn't, well I don't want to think about that but the series Jericho comes to mind.

My previous post mentions law abiding citizens with valid HCP because that is what the state requires now. Not what I want...

So, if i read this correctly not everyone is entitled to a mode of self defense of their choosing. Just those that meet your standards. Now what if someone else gets to set the standards and you do not meet them? This is what gun control is all about.

Shame, shame, shame.

Everyone is entitled, it is a God goven right to defend yourself. Man makes rules.

I can meet any standard. OBTW , you did pass your driving test right? And no you did not read or comprehend correctly, everyone is entitled to protect themselves in any way they choose, they should just prove competency first. Just like anyone cant get in a plane and try to fly it. same thing:rolleyes:

Well heck no the 2nd doesn't say you cant be a felon or mentally defective ,it says everyone has the right to bear arms, not just own them. hell fire lets give every sally and john a handgun and after they cull themselves well have competent people carrying guns. I'm all for that.:) whats a few dead and maimed citizens.:(

Flying a plane and driving a car are not "rights granted by their Creator." Self preservation was.

These are apples and oranges.

Who makes you judge and jury as to who can purchase a firearm or carry it? What makes you qualified to determine the capability of an individual?

Can you meet any standard? I have a standard that says you must be able to walk on water to carry a gun can you do that?

I have a standard that says you must be Blonde haired and Blue eyed and come from a strict lineage of German descent. Can you do that?

I have a standard that says you must drive a jeep to be able to carry a gun. Can you do that?

What if they set a standard for being able to speak freely? You must have a Doctorate from Yale before you can open your mouth in public. Can you meet that?

See standards are funny things. We all have them and few people actually measure up.

Edited by saintsfanbrian
I can meet any standard.

Any standard you devise. Setting standards is arbitrary. I have no doubt a standard can be made for proficiency you cannot pass.

You ought to just come out and admit you favor gun control. I assume pretty much everyone here appreciates your activism. But to me it seems very hypocritical when you say your favor proficiency standards ( ie:tests) to carry a handgun. So someone is not a good shot, at least not up to what you think is good enough. B.S. Everyone is entitled.

Driving tests and flying tests are hardly the same thing as self defense. It is not even worth arguing that point.

I just saw and read Brians post (great post btw) so there is really not much point in me covering his ground. He said it pretty well.

2how you are wrong. No two ways about it. Your's is an elitist stance and I will have none of it. I will defend your right to say as you wish but I will not defend your line of reasoning.

I'm all for everyone exercising their "God given rights" , but with that comes a commensurate amount of RESPONSIBILITY.

Having shot at a greater than average number of private and public ranges I have seen people that frankly have no business going about with loaded guns until they get their head straight and figure out it is not polite to casually point loaded guns at people while you talk to them. Also having seen a hefty number of people come through the TN Handgun Carry Permit class, I can tell you FIRST HAND that if nothing else the safety lecture is CRUCIAL in preventing negligent discharges out in the world.... Again, I'm not suggesting limiting one's ability to defend themself. I'm suggesting that if they want to exercise the right they need to be grown up enough to understand , respect, and accept the responsibility of learning to handle the gun SAFELY.I'm suggesting that before they strap on their smokewagon they take the initiative and do the RIGHT THING and learn something about safely handling loaded guns in public.Problem is that a very large number would never do it unless they were forced too......

If that makes me a "gun hater" then some of you need to get a grip on reality.I have no problem working in close confines, side by side, live fire with multiple shooters firing full auto if they all have the same safety guidelines hardwired. But there are some people out there who I would be afraid to stand BEHIND if they had a single shot musket and I were wearing body armor because they are so UNSAFE. Those people (for the sake of the rest of the community) NEED a safety class to enlighten them to the concepts that we take for granted....never point the "fiery death end" at what you are not willing to destroy, keep your "booger hook" off the "bang switch" until you want it to get loud, be aware of your target and (JUST AS IMPORTANTLY) what is BEHIND it. There ARE people out there who own guns that have never even heard these safety rules before......pretty scary huh? Do you feel comfy with THEM pulling out their blaster and letting loose at someone if you and your children are on the other end of the parking lot? Honestly?

These safety "rules" are REASONABLE things that prevent NEGLIGENT death , injury or property damage. By and large accidental shootings are not ACCIDENTAL discharges, they are NEGLIGENT Discharges. So I have NO PROBLEM with compelling people to have some damn sense about them and learn to responsibly handle that thing that can KILL someone. And if that makes me "anti freedom" then some of you need to wake up and discover that this is NOT some academic exercise, it is LIFE AND DEATH.....

And anyone that argues that the TN permit class marksmanship qualification standard is too difficult really needs to reexamine whether they really think people who can't pass it SHOULD be carrying a gun in public or not.

Edited by Cruel Hand Luke

I agree that it comes with responsibility. But it is not my place or anyone elses to decide what that is.

When carry permits were first discussed was there not talk of blood in the streets? Did it happen? There are laws in place that would make people accountable for their actions.

Sometimes the cost of freedom is not free. Just because people have guns does not mean they will shoot. Some will I am sure, but there are laws to deal with them.