New S&W M&P 40c and Walther P99AS Go to the Range

DAdams

I have a few revolvers and three subcompact (7 round) semi-autos. One in 9mm and two in .380.

I have come to the conclusion one needs at least two handguns in each caliber to make sense.

I don't think I am going to go the .45 route.

Recently I purchased a Walther P99AS .40, a S&W M&P 40c and a S&W M&P Pro 5 inch in 9mm.

These are my first full sized and compact semi-autos. Today I took the two

.40 calibers on their maiden voyages.

I have five magazines for the Walther and 3 standard and one full sized magazine with X-Grip for the compact, effectively making it a compact with 15 round capacity. I will be able to use the full size 9mm magazines from the 9Pro in the 40c with XGrip once the Storm Lake 40 to 9mm barrel arrives.

Both were cleaned with Slip 2000 Gun Cleaner and Degreaser (water based, biodegradable and made in the USA) and lubricated with Slip 2000 EWL (Extreme Weapons Lubricant) synthetic. The product came with an EAG AR upper. EAG, Pat Rogers uses it on their School ARs and is the lubricant that was used on the Filthy 14, a BCM shot over 30K rounds without cleaning.

Pat Rogers has a Colt with over 15K rounds rounds through it and purportedly never cleaned.

SLiP2000™ - Home Page

No affiliation with the Company. Just trying the free samples. eek13.gif

Another new product (to me) I used for the first time now that I have to deal with these relatively high capacity magazines is an UpLULA universal pistol magazine loader. Great product and reduces the wear and tear on your fingers and hands, makes short work of 15 round magazines. Definitely going to get one for the AR.

maglula, Ltd. | Magazine Loaders & UnLoaders

No affiliation with the Company.

Specifications:

Walther

Model: P99AS

Caliber: .40

Barrel Length: 4" / 10.2 cm

Dimensions, L/H/W: 7.1"/5.3"/1.3"

Weight (without Mag): 21.2 oz.

Sights: 3-dot adj.

Magazine Capacity: 12 Rounds

Trigger: TDA

Trigger Weight: 11 lbs./5 lbs. DA/SA

S&W M&P 40c

Caliber .40S&W

Capacity 10 Rounds 10+1 Rounds

Action Striker Fire Action

Trijicon Night Sights

Finish Black Melonite®, 68 HRc

Barrel Length 3.5"

Overall Length 6.7"

Weight 21.9 oz.

Grip 3 Interchangeable Palmswell Grip Sizes

Trips to the range are always interesting and I learn something new each time I go.

This new store (east TN) and range is very nice. I had to go through the perfunctory document signatures (hold harmless etc), and watch a short safety film, which never hurts.

Since the range is new they have an interesting policy of no exposed lead, that means the two JHP rounds I was going to shoot were not permitted and ball was the order of the day. I told the "range officer" I had two new handguns I wanted to get some rounds through and qualify with some PD ammunition after the ball aka JHP. He told me something I never knew....that the ball ammo characteristics I was (going to be) shooting wouldn't vary enough compared to the JHP when it came to making holes in paper. I begged to differ but then I knew this was larger than me having a "lead free" range.

Operationally then I couldn't shoot any thing I had with the exception of the American Eagle (50 rounds). Hence, John the Ranger was happy to sell me ball ammo, which I mistakenly selected the Atlanta Arms & Ammo 180 gr, him not telling me they were reloads. eek13.gif Until I came out and told him that about 2 out of 10 would fail to feed. It was consistant though (the FTF), in both guns and equally distributed over all 8 magazines where upon he told me that that was common with the reloads.

Guess he didn't hear me when I told him I was qualifying two new handguns.....oh well, as the rounds played out I figured it out (crap ammo), and tried the rest of the 25 American Eagles left which ran fine in both guns.

They had other Manufacturer's products and I went cheap, not knowing nor being told the Atlanta's were reloads. My bad for not asking.

The good news at the range was the lighting was great, the place was immaculate. It has a state of the art rail system so no settling down time on the targets. Best of all, I had five lanes to myelf.

I found the .40 recoil not a problem and easily managed. The 4 inch Walther and the 3.5 inch M&P were virtually identical in muzzle rise characterstic. I went through about 75 rounds in each and was just starting to get comfortable after about fifty rounds into each. Everything stayed on the paper and 95% were in the COM with a few wingers.

The trigger setup on the AS is after decock long DA first anti stress pull, then shorter SA follow-ups. If you don't decock, then they are all the shorter pull. By the time I started attempting to do some double taps, the curse of the reloads started screwing up my rhythm. Next time.

I was very pleased with the M&P, I actually did better with it than the Walther and I guess I was lucky and didn't get a "crunchy" trigger and for PD it should smooth out fine. I don't know for now if I am going to bother with the Apex I have on order. I may have to save it for the 9Pro. The M&P with the FS magazine and the X Grip/medium swell was a good fit.

For those shooting M&Ps and maybe this is pertinant to the .40c, even with ear plugs and headset, I could hear a mechanical "clank" when it cycled.

Not so on the Walther.

Well, as they say, a bad day at the range (and this wasn't bad by any stretch).....I'm looking forward to more quality time with both these fine semi-autos, and going back to my dark, funky range eek.gif Coal Creek where you can shoot lead exposed JHPs and try some 165 grainers and see how those feel compared with the 180s.

Let's see, I also learned there is a "lock or latch" on an Uplula. Loading 6 magazines and 75 rounds or more by the old hand method wasn't any fun and I couldn't figure out why it was "locked up". banghead.gif

P1010014-1-1.jpg

P1010013-1-1.jpg

Nothing astounding here. It was the first date with both so I surmise things will get better as the triggers improve and so do as time goes on.

P1010015-1-1.jpg

New kydex DeSantis holster for the S&W was waiting when I got home.

P1010015-3.jpg

M&P 40c with XGrip and FS Magazine. This handled very nicely and with night sights after I get a couple hundred trouble free rounds through may become the home PD dog.

P1010034.jpg

P99AS

P1010001-2.jpg

This is what I was going to shoot, but it wasn't to be. If you plan on shooting exposed lead anything at Frontier Firearms range....it ain't going to happen.

Edited by DAdams
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot a 9 mm Pro last weekend. I think you'll be wasting your money on a trigger kit for it. It was pretty nice.

If it has as much overtravel as a stock trigger, the Apex stuff will improve the gun. I have played with a pro, but it was before I got a good feel for the M&P

Yes, the Uplula is great, I definitely need to get one for AR magazines. When I thought it had failed or I had broken it yesterday (my luck) and had to load fifty rounds by hand I was already grieving what I thought was the loss for the day.....until I was shown the latch/catch. Didn't have my up close glasses on while using it on the bench at the range.

Bravo Company hat. Got two, one for buying the upper one for the lower. I like ripstop and this is my first ripstop hat.

I haven't had my 9Pro out yet. Two new handguns in a couple hours is about all I can contend with in one session.

That said, I did a couple a couple dry fires with the 9Pro and it seemed to me based on descriptions by others of stock triggers, the crunchy, gritty stacking description, that is what it felt like. It's not as good as the stock 40c at least that is my initial impression.

I found that quite dissapointing. I had ordered an Apex kit for the 40c but it may ultimately end up in the Pro....but I will give it a couple hundred first and see how it smooths out. Apex kits are pretty reasonable, life's too short for crappy triggers when there is stuff like Apex around at a reasonable price.

THIS for AR mags...

OUTSTANDING!! That is definitely a must have. I just got my first AR a month or so ago or I would have had one along time ago, but that is the first time I have seen it in action.

So if I have the opportunity I should buy the 5.56 on stripper clips to really save time, if and when available?

Stripper clips don't save THAT much time with a striplula. I don't shy away from them, but I don't go after them either. The thing is so fast, and I have such a good stock of PMAGs, I normally hit the range with loaded mags. Note that they make one for the Mini 14 too, so don't get the wrong one (something I would do). I have both, because I own both rifle types.