Another new fixed blade.

While waiting for the very last batches of Chris Reeve one piece knives to become available, I have been looking for a lightweight fixed blade knife under 4". I found what I was looking for a few months ago in a Chris Reeve Professional Soldier.

The Professional Soldier was a collaboration with Bill Harsey at the request of the owners of Professional Soldiers, Professional Soldiers ® - Home, which is a forum for retired and active duty special forces soldiers.

I received my new knife this evening. It is an incredibly nice and well made knife as are all Chris Reeve knives. I knew the knife was light (3oz.), but you don't realize how light it really is until you have it in your hands.

I am not quite sure whether I will carry this knife on my belt or use it as a neck knife, but I am sure it will become an EDC knife. Anyway, here is what it looks like. Please forgive the crude pic. I am using my cell phone camera. I am too cheap to buy a nice camera.

img2011031800038.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really nice one. I haven't handled a Chris Reeve that wasn't top quality. Where did you pick this one up?

I ended up getting one from Osograndeknives, OsoGrandeKnives.com: Online Shopping for Knives, Kitchen Cutlery, Tools, Sharpeners, Hunting Gear and more. They were the only dealer, at the time, that I could find that had one in stock. Their price was a little better than anyone else due to free shipping. I will probably buy from them again.

While I love Chris Reeve knives, those just are not my cup of Tea I handled a few and for me I just do not like the handle maybe its just me but for a carry knife 4 inches or under I prefer a folding knife, congrats on your new knife

Edited by willis68
Dont sweat it,

your Kabar is a fine knife just not in the same league as a Chris Reeve knife

I wasn't thinking about "league" as much as simply "type". Kind of hard to realistically compare a 7" blade 12" OL 1 lb. whooper with this Reeve model.

But since you do mention quality, just 'zactly what does make this Reeve worth 150 simoleons more than one with similar specs like say a Ka-bar Eskabar?:

BK14%20MED.JPG

- OS

I wasn't thinking about "league" as much as simply "type". Kind of hard to realistically compare a 7" blade 12" OL 1 lb. whooper with this Reeve model.

But since you do mention quality, just 'zactly what does make this Reeve worth 150 simoleons more than one with similar specs like say a Ka-bar Eskabar?:

- OS

Have you ever handled a Chris Reeve knife? if not I think once you do it may answer your question. I have a Fullsize Navy Kabar knife that I love, I also own a Chris Reeve Pacific which is very similar, but you sure can tell a difference in the quality when handling them. The Kabar is a great combat knife proven by our military for years, the Reeve Pacific could be used for combat, cutting trees down or whatever else you can think of. Check one out for yourself sometime they are outstanding knives and sell like hotcakes cause people like them

Edited by willis68

It's amazing how quick your impression of a good knife distorts as you handle nicer and nicer knives. I was laughing today about how a year ago I thought anything over a $50 knife was a waste, but knowing a miniscule fraction more now than then I've shifted my perspective.

I still think the classic Ka-bar is a nifty looking Pig Sticker, too bad its a USMC knife(sorry jarheads)

P.S. - sorry for getting off Topic

U have any intentions of wrapping the handle or just leave it naked?

It's amazing how quick your impression of a good knife distorts as you handle nicer and nicer knives. I was laughing today about how a year ago I thought anything over a $50 knife was a waste, but knowing a miniscule fraction more now than then I've shifted my perspective.

I still think the classic Ka-bar is a nifty looking Pig Sticker, too bad its a USMC knife(sorry jarheads)

P.S. - sorry for getting off Topic

U have any intentions of wrapping the handle or just leave it naked?

I did not even think about that, wrapped in para cord or something similar would make the handles on this knife a hell of a lot more to my liking, I may just pick one up and give it a go

I did not even think about that, wrapped in para cord or something similar would make the handles on this knife a hell of a lot more to my liking, I may just pick one up and give it a go

Just keep in mind that if you wrap the handle you will not be able to use the sheath unless you only wrap half of the handle. If I run across a custom sheath maker, I wouldn't mind doing some paracord braiding on it.

• 5 weeks later...

Mav, nice knife! I like the handle a lot better than what is on the Eskabar. Looks like it would have much better grip. However, I have an Eskabar on order because of the price......maybe someday I can be in your league. :) I'm going to have it on my backpack, for camping, hunting, and bugging out.

Mav, nice knife! I like the handle a lot better than what is on the Eskabar. Looks like it would have much better grip. However, I have an Eskabar on order because of the price......maybe someday I can be in your league. :( I'm going to have it on my backpack, for camping, hunting, and bugging out.

Thanks. What league is that? :bowrofl: There are a bunch of people on this forum that have way nicer stuff than I do. There is definitely a price point in which I will cry Uncle when it comes to knives or guns.

In regards to the Professional Soldier, it is a great knife. I do not have mine wrapped, and I doubt I will wrap it. I like the grip the way it is. As far as a hunting, camping, hiking etc... knife goes, I like the Chris Reeve one piece billet knives. They are fantastic.

Thanks. What league is that? :D There are a bunch of people on this forum that have way nicer stuff than I do. There is definitely a price point in which I will cry Uncle when it comes to knives or guns.

In regards to the Professional Soldier, it is a great knife. I do not have mine wrapped, and I doubt I will wrap it. I like the grip the way it is. As far as a hunting, camping, hiking etc... knife goes, I like the Chris Reeve one piece billet knives. They are fantastic.

Well, I guess the $200 league. I actually cancelled the Ka-bar purchase, because the bug may have bitten me. I had a Spyderco, once, and to this day it was my favorite knife because it stayed sharp, etc., etc. I know that you get what you pay for....so, I'm saving up and will let you know what I decide on. I know the Eskabar would be a good knife, but if I wanted good I would be happy with my Buck.