Searched and read need help with equipment choice

Guest pfries

FYI, the GRx and Bulge Buster dies are technically for brass that has been shot from a Glock. The issue that they solve (this is under arguement) is that those cases can be bulged at the bottom to where they won't fully chamber in another weapon. So, if you use range pickup .40 brass, eventually you will run into a piece of brass that is beyond spec.

Mac

Another way to get rid of the .40 "bulge" is to use a Lee "U" sizer die, EGW sells them (or at least they did). These one thousandth smaller than standard and size all the way to the extractor groove. I've loaded glock brass using this die in my 550 and 1050 and the cases will literally chamber backwards in my match barrels. Saves you the trouble of an extra sizing step. Still a carbide die and lube is not required but it does make sizing easier.

And no, I didn't open a black hole by screwing a Lee product into a Dillon one.

Edited by Dave Shooter
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nicemac
Dillon 550 buy once cry once,.. a NO BS warranty that is not matched by anyone,.. I have even admitted to Mr. Dillon himself ( yes he answers his phones sometimes) a true bonehead act caused the parts demise.. and he apologized to me " for not making it strong enough" and sent new parts FREE no hassle

Kept 3 very active shooters up in ammo for many trouble free years until me and my brother moved out and bought our own...and has started several others on a long reloading career...

IPSC, Bullseye, PPC, CMP Rifle ammo it does it all... and you can run it like a single stage if you feel the need to... it is all in how you set up the die block/tool head.

I have routinely loaded 400 .45ACPs an hour without working very hard,.means more practice time to me... 1 handle stroke = 1 loaded round instead of a single stage 3 or 4 (separate crimp ) to 1 ratio ..... 5 shooters = a lot of press work...

if you only see handgun volume then a Square Deal B may be the ticket but if rifle is in your future 550B is the ticket.. My M-1 Garand is well fed thanks to the Blue Press

John

I have had the same kind of "warranty" experience with Hornady. I called them after breaking (on Berdan primers–totally my fault) two decapping pins. I wanted to order 5 to have spares. They sent all 5 at no charge.

did you get a reloading set up yet if you did not i can most likley put one together for you for free i live in ashland city i dont know where you are but i will be traveling to knoxville this weekend i have a couple of extra reloading kits i remember trying to keep my girls in ammo when they were young just call 615-497-4205 this will get you started