Show of hands: Who here plays guitar?

i have a little over a half a dozen guitars and a few amps....played for about 20 years. (since i was a kid) ALso have a few sets of drums...as much as i like guitar, nothing gets me as jazzed as playing some drums with a bunch of long haired loud rock and rollers :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This. My dad could play the banjo, my grandmother could play the piano, by ear.

I can't remember words to songs, ask my wife, I can't understand how instruments work. I understand a note, and how it makes a certain sound, I can even put a couple of notes together, for a crappy rendition of Smoke on the Water, but never could get past that. My son shows he has some interest and natural talent when it comes with music. He sat down at some drums at a friends house, and a kid who is taking lessons, showed him a few things, and my son, picked up the sticks and started playing what he had heard. Piano, he can put a few things together, self taught. Guitar he hasn't had much experience, but he seems to "get it".

Rhythm. I has none.

I would love to be able to play a few things, but I don't know if I would be able too. I don't want to play professionally or anything, but it would be nice just to be able to make a sound and not a noise.

I hear ya. I'd just like to be able to play along to my favorite songs and I'd never play in front of anyone. I'd be happy with simple riffs and just hammering an E string in a timely fashion like Tony Rombola from Godsmack.

I can't imagine what it must feel like to not only know how to play, but to not even pay attention to your hands like most do. To just let it flow. I've posted videos on the "What are you listening to" thread about Sungha Jung. That little fellar just sits there and smiles....I think he's actually daydreaming about some girl he'd rather be chasing than playing and yet, he plays with skill in the top 1%.