individual out of state transfers

laktrash

I was surfing GB and seller states that for this sale your FFL must accept transfer from individual. I didn't think it worked that way . Is it up to state law or Is it up to your local FFL. How does this exactly work . I'd hate to bid on something "As bad as I hate to buy on GB" and not be able to complete transaction

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, its up to the FFL holder. Though some don't seem to know that. Locally, Bill's Outpost will accept transfers from individuals. He did the transfer on a receiver from a guy CA for me a while back. Gunnys told me it was illegal. :)

Yes, its up to the FFL holder. Though some don't seem to know that. Locally, Bill's Outpost will accept transfers from individuals. He did the transfer on a receiver from a guy CA for me a while back. Gunnys told me it was illegal. :rolleyes:

Thats good to know. Bills outpost who I was wanting to use

Just find out what your FFL will need from the individual.

Most will need them to send a photo copy of their drivers license.

And then email the seller to make sure he will do what ever your FFL wants.(before you bid)

I have bought many guns on GB from individuals and had them ship to my FFL with no problems so far.

Guest motonut

I've only bought 1 from an individual about 9 mos. ago. Mt. Juliet Pawn, where I now do my transfers through had no issues with it. $25 + $10 was what it cost. Seller stated prior to sale if my FFL wouldn't handle it he would have to charge me whatever it cost him to go through his FFL (fair and understandable to me). In the end, not an issue.

I don't understand if it's legal why some FFL's make an issue of it.

From what I see, is that they don't want to be bothered with the transfer. If an individual sends the firearm into the FFL and it isn't what the buyer wanted, they are now caught in the middle. In their opinion if it is another FFL, the return is much easier since they can send it back to the FFL. With the individual, they can't just send the firearm back to that individual.

Don't take this as meaning I agree with it, but I do somewhat understand it.

Edited by hkusp40cal

My understanding of it is that if the individual sends a stolen or flagged gun (and it could be legit with and old/bad database entry on the police side) that when the FFL checks it and sees the red flags, they are stuck between a rock and a hard place (cannot sell it, cannot return it, have to give it to the police leaving the buyer and seller BOTH out in the cold). This was not explained very well, but that was the gist of it when I asked a guy who refused me the service. Thats on top of being unable to return it as above.

Guest TnValleyBulletman

Probably some dealers don't want the hassle if the customer isn't satisfied with the gun. The FFL can't return it to an individual out of state. Of course there is also the issue of TICS finding the gun on the stolen list.

I still do it anyway. just last week I handled a transfer for one of my customers with the gun coming from an individual. My customer was not happy with the gun. I told him to work it out with the seller to find me an FFL to ship it back to.

if a gun is stolen, I will turn it over to law enforcement. The buyer and the seller can work out the money part. I am just the guy satisfying the legal requirements imposed by the law I didn't write, but live by anyway.