I was pondering something today. Why do they not make anything much above a 40g bullet in 22LR? Aguila makes the SSS in a 60g but it runs like 950fps. Why isn't there a standard velocity bullet in the 50 or 55 grain range? Too much?

Not that it matters, I don't much care for the .22 rim fire, but it would be nice to have the option. AND, while I'm at it, why don't they make a jacketed bullet for the 22LR?

I've asked some of the local yokels around here and they hail me as the ultimate blasphemer for my lack of respect for the 22. :) ehhh ohh well.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only jacketed 22lr bullet I have knowledge of was a military survival round, expensive to produce.

40gr is about it for any amount of range for the 22lr, heavier and it is a very short range round.

If you want heavier and jacketed then go 22mag.

i buy primed 22 lr cases or i used to any way i have several thousand i think there were 7000 in a case load my own just have to be careful about bullets as some 22 lrs are 221 dia. can still get them from williams shooters supply in il.i have loaded as high as 80 grains to run through a can

i buy primed 22 lr cases or i used to any way i have several thousand i think there were 7000 in a case load my own just have to be careful about bullets as some 22 lrs are 221 dia. can still get them from williams shooters supply in il.i have loaded as high as 80 grains to run through a can

I didn't even know you could buy them like that.

My understanding is that there is no room for a heavier bullet and still have enough room for powder to push it at standard velocities. The SSS is in a short case in order to make the over all round length such that it will still fit in mags and cycle through an action. Another thing about the SSS, the whole point of them is to be quite. They run them low velocity to keep them below the sound barrier.

No matter how you look at it, the .22lr is a low-pressure round. For any given pressure, a heavier bullet means lower velocities, and lighter bullets can be driven to higher velocities at that same pressure. That's why the 'hyper-velocity' rounds have 32gr bullets (CCI Stinger). The Aguila SSS 60gr is designed to remain subsonic is all .22 rifles.

No manufacturer is going to exceed normal pressures as the risk of causing damage to a firearm or person has severe costs. And the reality is that the thin brass of the .22 rim where the priming compound is located cannot handle pressures much higher. I've heard that .22mag pressures are as high as any rimfire case can handle.

In addition to what has already been mentioned, I suppose it could have something to do with the fact that the standard .22LR twist is 1 in 16. Maybe a heavier bullet wouldn't stabilize as quickly, or at all, in the short ranges where the .22LR is effective and accuracy would suffer? I have no idea. There must be a reason why every type of match ammunition I've seen is a 40gr. LRN though.

In addition to what has already been mentioned, I suppose it could have something to do with the fact that the standard .22LR twist is 1 in 16. Maybe a heavier bullet wouldn't stabilize as quickly, or at all, in the short ranges where the .22LR is effective and accuracy would suffer? I have no idea. There must be a reason why every type of match ammunition I've seen is a 40gr. LRN though.

I'd say you have a very good point on that.

Guest TnValleyBulletman
No matter how you look at it, the .22lr is a low-pressure round. For any given pressure, a heavier bullet means lower velocities, and lighter bullets can be driven to higher velocities at that same pressure. That's why the 'hyper-velocity' rounds have 32gr bullets (CCI Stinger). The Aguila SSS 60gr is designed to remain subsonic is all .22 rifles.

No manufacturer is going to exceed normal pressures as the risk of causing damage to a firearm or person has severe costs. And the reality is that the thin brass of the .22 rim where the priming compound is located cannot handle pressures much higher. I've heard that .22mag pressures are as high as any rimfire case can handle.

You are correct except the part about the 22LR being a low pressure rd. The SAAMI pressure limit is 24,000 PSI for this rd. Which is much more than for instance 38 Spl.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/208.pdf

As small as the rd. is it wouldn't take much to drive pressures through the roof. That is the big reason you can't get a heavier bullet going at the speed of standard bullet loads, And of course there is the issue of rifling twist and stability.

You are correct except the part about the 22LR being a low pressure rd. The SAAMI pressure limit is 24,000 PSI for this rd. Which is much more than for instance 38 Spl.

I never considered the .38Spl a high-pressure round. Compared to the 9mm, .38 Super, and .357Mag (all 35,000psi), a measly 24K psi is low-pressure. Even the mouse-bruising .25acp gets 25,000psi!