HCP waiting time

Guest TennMan

ITS HERE! Eight weeks and one day. Of course it came while I spent the day at the hospital, oh well, I couldn't carry there anyways. I open carried my .357 to a few places I'm a regular at so not to spook anyone. Its amazing, questions like are you a part time cop? Why do you need it? Are you allowed to carry that? The strangest thing is talking to someone and watching their eyes drift down then real quick back up. I guess thats how women feel all the time.

Congrats....

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Boonie

why does it take so long to get the permit ? i mean it only takes minutes to do a back ground check to buy a gun but it takes around 90 days to get a permit ? does any body know why? dont we spend enough money that they could speed the process up. this has been the longest couple of weeks in my life.

Guest GUTTERbOY

Coming up on six weeks...

I can't recall how long it took to get my NC permit, but I want to say it was a comparable period of time to this. It's undoubtedly a more in-depth check than the NICS version that gets run when you buy from an FFL. Basically, I'd say that NICS is set up for quantity of checks over quality, whereas the permit checks are focused on thoroughly checking for disqualifying stuff... probably even moreso now after that news report a couple months ago.

Yeah, I think they get your DNA from the fingerprints and then start checking your great-grandparents DNA, the Holocaust-Nazi war criminals' records, and the Ellis Island immigration records... then they visit the cemeteries and check antique High School Yearbooks to make sure everyone is in the right place... Then, they go to Russia and check the KGB archives...

In my experience, I found that it goes faster if you give them a semen sample, a hair sample, a fecal sample, and a urine sample, and a blood test--- you gave them that, right?

I did it at FedEx Kinko's- only cost me $1439.00 for expedited service....

Well, just kidding . :up: It took me 65 days, hang in there!!!

The TBI has 30 days to do the check, from the time the get the fingerprints...who knows how long it takes them to get them.

They also send a copy of the HCP application to sheriff of the county the applicant resides in so he can validate or dispute any of the answers. He also has 30 days to respond back...from the time he gets the application.

Then factor in admin time in all of that.

That could be one reason that different people from the same class, that apply at the same time, get approved at different times. If they are from two different counties one sheriff could get back with the DOS right away, the other may wait the whole 30 days.

There was a bill to remove the sheriff requirement from the process, anyone want to guess what happened to it and by who?

39-17-1351

(g) (1) Upon receipt of a permit application, the department shall:

(A)
Forward two (2) full sets of fingerprints of the applicant to the Tennessee bureau of investigation; and

(
:up:
Send a copy of the application to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides.

(2)
Within thirty (30) days of receiving an application, the sheriff shall provide the department with any information concerning the truthfulness of the applicant's answers to the eligibility requirements of subsection © that is within the knowledge of the sheriff.

(h) Upon receipt of the fingerprints from the department, the Tennessee bureau of investigation shall:

(1)
Within thirty (30) days from receipt of the fingerprints, conduct computer searches to determine the applicant's eligibility for a permit under subsection © as are available to the bureau based solely upon the applicant's name, date of birth and social security number and send the results of the searches to the department;

(2)
Conduct a criminal history record check based upon one (1) set of the fingerprints received and send the results to the department; and

(3)
Send one (1) set of the fingerprints received from the department to the federal bureau of investigation, request a federal criminal history record check based upon the fingerprints, as long as the service is available, and send the results of the check to the department.

Originally Posted by ZenDog viewpost.gif

In my experience, I found that it goes faster if you give them a semen sample, a fecal sample, and a urine sample,

Where does one deposit this?

I just left mine on the counter at the testing center

Edited by strickj
Guest GUTTERbOY
Where does one deposit this?

I just left mine on the counter at the testing center

Remember that slutty chick behind the counter?

leaving.gif

Guest Boomhower
88 days here,thanks News Channel 5...

WOW!! They were pushing the limit weren't they?......just out of curiosity, what happens if the state goes beyond the 90 days that they are given by law? Is there any repercussion of any type? You get a free permit maybe?

WOW!! They were pushing the limit weren't they?......just out of curiosity, what happens if the state goes beyond the 90 days that they are given by law? Is there any repercussion of any type? You get a free permit maybe?

Of course there is some of that admin and mailing time again...they have 90 days to issue it, could take another week or so to get it even after it is issued.

AFAIK there is no "penalty" if they go over the 90 days.

Guest CrazyLincoln

Not sure. You could probably sue them for the permit or your money and perhaps some compensation for any time over the waiting period, but that would be like spending a million to get a hundred (metaphorically of course).

Of course IANAL.

Guest HexHead
The strangest thing is talking to someone and watching their eyes drift down then real quick back up. I guess thats how women feel all the time.

Well, not the flat chested ones. :D

Checked on my renewal today. It's been 10 weeks and 1 day now.

She said everything was fine, it's in process and that they are really behind since they are doing thorough checks on renewals now.

Good news is...since I did mine in person, they are allowing the copy of renewal app. to be used as a temporary permit until I get the hard copy in the mail.

I'm glad I started mine at the max allowable time of 6 months!