Thinking about a Versipack

So I'm thinking about picking up one of these... but which one? I think it would be handy for being out and about with my boys. Parents know that kids require lots of stuff. It'll need to contain diaper stuff, snacks, plus the usual cell phone, small first aid kit, flashlight, etc. Oh, and my gun too. :)

I've used a regular diaper bag, backpack, and, a sling pack. I prefer the "hands free" nature of the backpack or sling pack, but access to my gun in it's IWB holster is a problem. Drawing while wearing a pack is a PITA. I'm hoping that I can "man it up" a little bit so it won't look too much like a murse while I'm pushing the stroller around... :(

I'm primarily looking at the Fatboy, or the Jumbo. I like the water bottle holder on the Jumbo but have some concern it'll be too big/heavy when full. I've done a fair bit of googling and most of what I read says they're not as big as they appear in the photos. I'd like to get one that both my wife and I could use. I'm 5' 7" and my wife is 5' 3" both of average build. I've also seen that UTG offers one that looks about right, gets good reviews, and costs about half as much as the Maxpedition stuff. We're not real hard on stuff like this so paying double for the indestructible Maxpedition doesn't hold great value for me. However, if the UTG one is junk...

Another option is a pocket gun, and I've been keeping my eyes open for an LCP. But a bag is a whole lot cheaper.

So... what should I get? Thoughts, comments, suggestions?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the Fatboy and sold it. It is much much smaller than I was expecting. I have a Jumbo on the way and it should be here by tomorrow.

I think the UTG bag would work just fine. I would have ordered one but I found a great deal on a used Jumbo.

If you're a member on edcforum.com you can find good deals in the classified section. A lot of guys sell their slightly used maxpedition gear there.

Oh, and the UTG bag is cheaper on Amazon. Amazon.com: UTG Multi-functional Tactical Messenger Bag: Sports & Outdoors

I carry a Fatboy, and I'm 6'5" and 250 lbs. The Jumbo just seems too big for me, although you'll get a much better draw with the larger CCW pocket. My Dad wants a Jumbo for his birthday (he's quite a bit wider than I am), and I'm probably going to oblige him. If yours is going to double as a diaper bag, then it sounds like the Jumbo might be the way to go for you, as well. They're both top-shelf quality, and I'm a firm believer in the "buy once, cry once" philosophy. You can't go wrong with Maxpedition gear.

I had the Fatboy and sold it. It is much much smaller than I was expecting. I have a Jumbo on the way and it should be here by tomorrow.

I think the UTG bag would work just fine. I would have ordered one but I found a great deal on a used Jumbo.

If you're a member on edcforum.com you can find good deals in the classified section. A lot of guys sell their slightly used maxpedition gear there.

Oh, and the UTG bag is cheaper on Amazon. Amazon.com: UTG Multi-functional Tactical Messenger Bag: Sports & Outdoors

So the Fatboy was too small... care to elaborate? What did you want to carry that it wouldn't hold?

I also specifically don't want a black one, the "dark earth" is a little more expensive. Black is far too "tacti-cool" looking for me and I'm quite sure my wife won't carry it.

I've had several of the Maxpdition line and one UTG copy. The fatboys are just too small. The UTG I thought was almost as good for a much cheaper price. If given the opportunity I would buy another UTG instaead of the max brand. That said, I still have a Versipack, I think its the Colussus that I have, that I occasionally use, but I currently daily use a Max MALAGA GEARSLINGER. Its bigger and is a single strap backpack (small). It doesnt come with the water bottle carrier, so I went down to the Outpost Armory and picked up a couple of the ones that attach to the side of my pack. I also bought another pouch that can attach to it that multiplies the capacity, but I don't have that one on it right now. I keep a couple guns, extra magazines, extra ammo, cell phone charger, knives, multitools, checkbooks, pens, a Gerber LMF Infantry knife on the side, usually a hardback book and my lunch in it and it goes with me everywhere I go. At the very least, its in the car when I go, if not actually on my person or within arms reach. They make some other ones I might be interested in, some of their attache style cases...all good stuff, but way overpriced, IMO. Bad thing is I dont see much similar to max by anyone else. UTG and the like dont have an offering for each Max style.

So the Fatboy was too small... care to elaborate? What did you want to carry that it wouldn't hold?

I also specifically don't want a black one, the "dark earth" is a little more expensive. Black is far too "tacti-cool" looking for me and I'm quite sure my wife won't carry it.

The Fatboy has a very small CCW pouch, so small that I didn't feel I could get a positive draw on the gun at all. My G19 would fit, but it was tight and drawing the weapon was slllloooww. I'm sure with practice it wouldn't have been as much of an issue but it wasn't just the CCW pouch that was small. The whole bag is much smaller than in looks online.

I plan on using the bag when I go to the beach in a few weeks to hold my gun and other items therefore I want something bigger than the Fatboy. The name is deceiving, they should rename it the littleboy.

For my needs I just wanted something bigger. I like the fact that the Jumbo has the H20 holder and I think I will be able to fit a lot more gear in it. YMMV. Hope this helps.

The Fatboy has a very small CCW pouch, so small that I didn't feel I could get a positive draw on the gun at all. My G19 would fit, but it was tight and drawing the weapon was slllloooww. I'm sure with practice it wouldn't have been as much of an issue but it wasn't just the CCW pouch that was small. The whole bag is much smaller than in looks online.

I plan on using the bag when I go to the beach in a few weeks to hold my gun and other items therefore I want something bigger than the Fatboy. The name is deceiving, they should rename it the littleboy.

For my needs I just wanted something bigger. I like the fact that the Jumbo has the H20 holder and I think I will be able to fit a lot more gear in it. YMMV. Hope this helps.

Fat Man and Little Boy... hmmm...

Amwpns.jpg

Yes, that's good info. Thanky.

Guest Bronker
...They make some other ones I might be interested in, some of their attache style cases...

I bought...and subsequently sold...a Maxped Jumbo, and (just today) a Colossus Versipak. In the midst of all of this, I had purchased the Maxped Operator Tactical Attache.

Suffice to say, woolf, that with the Operator, I have not looked back. It has served all of my needs I'd hoped to fill with the others, and blends in well as just a well-appointed briefcase. Mine's just like this one:

MXP-0605KF-2T.jpg

Also, is that Malaga larger than the Colossus?

I bought...and subsequently sold...a Maxped Jumbo, and (just today) a Colossus Versipak. In the midst of all of this, I had purchased the Maxped Operator Tactical Attache.

Suffice to say, woolf, that with the Operator, I have not looked back. It has served all of my needs I'd hoped to fill with the others, and blends in well as just a well-appointed briefcase. Mine's just like this one:

What didn't you like about the Jumbo?

Guest Bronker

I just couldn't get into an over-the-shoulder bag like that. I don't really ever have any sort of foot-commute, so I'm within (or in) parking lot distance of my vehicle at all times. Thus, a briefcase was more in line for me. I had NO dislike for the Jumbo or the Colossus. I really liked them. It's just that it didn't fit a niche that my Operator and access to my car couldn't fit.

I do however, need a tactical luggage bag now! :D

Looking at the Maxpedition Doppelduffel...

MXP-0605KF-2T.jpg

Also, is that Malaga larger than the Colossus?

Yes the Malaga is much bigger, its more like one strap small backpack than a waistpouch. Way better than the Colussus.

0423k_584_thumb.jpg

I've been looking at the Operator as well as the other briefcase style ones they have. I HATE buying online though and the nearest place that carries Max stuff is Outpost in Mboro, and they don't have ALL of the line, just some of the line. I'm having trouble deciding which one, lol. Does the operator have dualled side by side zippers along the top or just one? I kinda don't like the dual ones that are separated by a few inches of fabric...

Guest Bronker
Yes the Malaga is much bigger, its more like one strap small backpack than a waistpouch. Way better than the Colussus.

0423k_584_thumb.jpg

I've been looking at the Operator as well as the other briefcase style ones they have. I HATE buying online though and the nearest place that carries Max stuff is Outpost in Mboro, and they don't have ALL of the line, just some of the line. I'm having trouble deciding which one, lol...

Meet me in Goodlettesville on any Tuesday, and you can see one first hand! Just bring the Malaga! Lunch on me:D

Does the operator have dualled side by side zippers along the top or just one? I kinda don't like the dual ones that are separated by a few inches of fabric...

Not sure I know what you mean, but here's an aerial view:

maxpedition-mpb-operator1.jpg

The Operator is the black one. One zipper to the main compartment, one to rear, and velcro to the CCW pocket (nice option).

Edited by Bronker

I got the UTG bag and LOVE it. I carry it to work daily and it's handy. I was torn b/w the 5.11, Maxpedition, and UTG regular size bags despite the big price differences. It came down to the first 2 being too small to haul reading material like magazines and the small catalogs we all get in the mail. The UTG is big enough.

It's as tall as the Jumbo, but not quite as wide.

Good info here, thanks folks!

I'm on the fence between the UTG bag and the Jumbo KISS.

...edit... Ok, so how about the holster options? Stuff I read says get the $10 Maxped velcro loop holster with it. It looks like something I could make in 5 minutes from $2 worth of velcro. Or is it more than that? Would the gun in an Uncle Mike's holster fit/function in the pocket reasonably?

Edited by peejman
Guest Bronker

I ordered a Maxped Malaga last night!

I liked the Jumbo at first, then thought I'd like the Colossus more. They were nice bags, just not the 'right' bags. Now I'm on to the Malaga.

...and the wheel, goes 'round...:P

Guest Bronker
Good info here, thanks folks!

I'm on the fence between the UTG bag and the Jumbo KISS.

...edit... Ok, so how about the holster options? Stuff I read says get the $10 Maxped velcro loop holster with it. It looks like something I could make in 5 minutes from $2 worth of velcro. Or is it more than that? Would the gun in an Uncle Mike's holster fit/function in the pocket reasonably?

The velcro holster is worth it. It could be made, but it would be tough to find velcro to the stiffness / rigidity of this holster. Buy it.

As for the KISS, I think you'll wish you'd bought the original Jumbo, not only for the added features, but moreso for the quality of the fabric. The man that bought my Jumbo had the EDC version (lighter wt. version) and he was taken aback as well at the difference in the rigidity and thus perceived durability of the heavier wt. deneir of the original 'Jumbo' variant.

My two copper coins, pal. You can't go wrong regardless!:P

Meet me in Goodlettesville on any Tuesday, and you can see one first hand! Just bring the Malaga! Lunch on me:D

Not sure I know what you mean, but here's an aerial view:

maxpedition-mpb-operator1.jpg

The Operator is the black one. One zipper to the main compartment, one to rear, and velcro to the CCW pocket (nice option).

The black one in your pic I don't like because of the dual zipper...I have had zippers like that b4 nd just didn t like them. The other, the one you have, i like. Lets's meet for lunch. After I look at yours I may order one for myself. The Malaga is good, but sometimes I think the Operator would be better for work.

The velcro holster is worth it. It could be made, but it would be tough to find velcro to the stiffness / rigidity of this holster. Buy it.

As for the KISS, I think you'll wish you'd bought the original Jumbo, not only for the added features, but moreso for the quality of the fabric. The man that bought my Jumbo had the EDC version (lighter wt. version) and he was taken aback as well at the difference in the rigidity and thus perceived durability of the heavier wt. deneir of the original 'Jumbo' variant.

You are right about the holster...just a couple heavy duty velcro straps sewn together, but effective. I have them in a couple of my bags, but the concealed carry pouch in the Malaga is big enough that I just carry my Bersa Thunder 9 Pro in it in just a regular nylon holster, unattached to the pack. It stays upright in the pouch and is ready for drawing.

Edited by barewoolf
Guest Bronker
The black one in your pic I don't like because of the dual zipper...I have had zippers like that b4 nd just didn t like them. The other, the one you have, i like. Lets's meet for lunch. After I look at yours I may order one for myself. The Malaga is good, but sometimes I think the Operator would be better for work.

So I'm definitely confused. I would have called the tan one in the photo a dual zipper (I hate that too). The Operator Tactical Attache is what I have. Represented in the photo by the black one. But mine is khaki...wait...who's on 1st?:P

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
So I'm definitely confused. I would have called the tan one in the photo a dual zipper (I hate that too). The Operator Tactical Attache is what I have. Represented in the photo by the black one. But mine is khaki...wait...who's on 1st?:P

That's definitely what I was thinking, too. I understand that the black one has two zippers next to each other, but they are not separated by a few inches of fabric as originally described. The tan one definitely fits the bill there. Personally I like bags with two zippers in the style of the black bag. I appreciate being able to adjust the opening direction, or even allow opening from the middle of the bag.

I wondered about the EDC version but I ended up ordering the Jumbo because I found a nice used one. And as far as the universal CCW holster, jury is still out on that one. I'm not sure I trust it enough to hold my Glock with a round in the chamber.

I have the Jumbo and it carries a water bottle, my pistol, plenty of spare ammo, and whatever I would need for a day out and about. If I need more stuff than that, I go with a regular backpack. Coming from a guy with an 8 week old, I can safely say that a Jumbo Versapack is not large enough to serve as a diaper bag unless you plan on really downsizing what you carry. I think you could probably stash a couple of spare diapers, a small pack of wipes, and some basic baby essentials, but that's about it. Good enough for a quick trip out and about, but not for a long day.

I get the vibe from the pics and description that the KISS is made of thinner material and might be considered "floppy". But then the regular Jumbo is double the cost.... I sure wish there was somewhere that stocked these so I could get all touchy feely with one.

I wondered about the EDC version but I ended up ordering the Jumbo because I found a nice used one. And as far as the universal CCW holster, jury is still out on that one. I'm not sure I trust it enough to hold my Glock with a round in the chamber.

I'm checking ebay periodically for a used one. You highlighted a good point about the universal holster... it doesn't cover the trigger guard. There wouldn't be anything else in the pocket with it that might hit the trigger (and my gun has a thumb safety), but it depends on how thick that material is. If it's somewhat soft, I wouldn't have a warm fuzzy about putting an uncovered gun in there.

I'm checking ebay periodically for a used one. You highlighted a good point about the universal holster... it doesn't cover the trigger guard. There wouldn't be anything else in the pocket with it that might hit the trigger (and my gun has a thumb safety), but it depends on how thick that material is. If it's somewhat soft, I wouldn't have a warm fuzzy about putting an uncovered gun in there.
Just for the sake of clarification, the universal holster DOES cover the trigger guard. Erik's concern was more about its retention, as it's essentially nothing more than a wide strip of velcro wrapped horizontally around a vertical strip of velcro.

If you're ever in Knoxville hit me up and I'll let you check out the CCW holster before you buy it.

I'm not worried about anything else hitting the trigger, I'm worried about the actual holster doing it somehow. Needless to say I don't use the CCW holster much.